Dapol Mk3 Intercity DVT

Started by Luke Piewalker, February 18, 2015, 05:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Piewalker

The Hattons chaps are lobbing them in the post...

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on February 22, 2015, 09:48:30 AM
Quote from: Luke Piewalker on February 21, 2015, 06:33:54 PM
Mine has arrived. No colour comparisons yet, but there is a distinct lack of detailing parts...

Lovely instructions telling me how to fit the parts... just no parts...  :worried:

Mine were in a small bag sitting in the inlet in the foam insert. Contact your supplier.

Sadly the NWR DVT doesn't have the measuring equipment...... but the bag does contain disc brakes, chain and pipes.

dr deltic

Its a bit weary all this, how hard is it to get the colour right when you have already got it sorted for the coaches?
Lost in translation to Chinese yet again now doubt.

But at £41 now, sorry you can keep it.

I am no longer parting with hard earned brass for sub standard products.

scruff

I quite agree Dr Deltic...
Anyone for a coffee flavoured TGS??

Mark

Dr Al

Quote from: dr deltic on February 22, 2015, 06:59:12 PM
Its a bit weary all this, how hard is it to get the colour right when you have already got it sorted for the coaches?
Lost in translation to Chinese yet again now doubt.

But at £41 now, sorry you can keep it.

I am no longer parting with hard earned brass for sub standard products.

The thing is, there are other errors with this model - assuming that the re-runs are identical to the originals, the silver light surrounds are wrong for the IC version, the swallow has been inverted on one side. It's only the massive error of the livery colouring that's making folks not see the others.

I don't understand why these liveries seem so difficult for manufacturers to get right - in OO gauge Hornby didn't get the Exec HSTs right originally (too light as this is), in N Bachfar's interpretation of IC swallow on Mk3s and HST looked again a bit too light for the upper body colour.

Only Poole Farish seemed to get this right first time...

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

jivebunny

Quote from: Dr Al on February 22, 2015, 07:08:28 PM
The thing is, there are other errors with this model - assuming that the re-runs are identical to the originals, the silver light surrounds are wrong for the IC version, the swallow has been inverted on one side. It's only the massive error of the livery colouring that's making folks not see the others.

Going by  the retailers' photos, the light surrounds seem to have been switched to black for this release.

On the old model the logo being upside down I could actually live with, as well as the horrible silver light surrounds which I don't think are prototypical for any Swallow DVT, but the entire thing being in the wrong colour is the error that takes the biscuit I think.

JB

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

jivebunny

Quote from: Trainfish on February 22, 2015, 08:03:30 PM
I'm so glad I model BR blue  :thumbsup:

...he said confidently, as the postman handed him a parcel containing his lovely new Mk3 TGS in BR green & grey.

:wave:

JB

Karhedron

Quote from: StufromEGDL on February 20, 2015, 06:07:23 PM
Saw a couple of the new issue IC DVTs at Glasgow Show today.
I can confirm that they ARE the same lighter shade as before.
Whether you buy or not is personal choice.
Yup, someone has posted a shot on the "other site" of a new DVT with a Mk3 and the colours do not seem to match.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

jivebunny

I've edited my previous post re: retailers' photos as I had a bunch of tabs open and was looking at the photos of the old model on the Hatton's website. The Swallow logo on the new model is indeed the correct way around on both sides, and in the correct locations (neither of which it was on the old one), which makes it all the more of a shame that the colours are still wrong...

JB

red_death

It was hardly likely that Dapol were going to re-tool the DVT to add in the grilles, roof vents or measuring equipment.

I'm debating whether it is worth drawing up a simple etch for the grilles, and the best method to produce the measuring equipment (I've got plenty of photos to work from).

Cheers, Mike

Luke Piewalker

Got the detailing parts through the post!
Prepainted hoses!!!!

I have both of the first run of DVT's. These being 82116 and 82132. Got my new rake of Mk3's the other day and yes, I spotted the difference in colour straight away once on track :doh: I am very tempted to mask the DVT's up and spray them the correct shade. But, saying that, the Mk3's look a little too black to me? I think that may be just me though...

These being

5 x 2P-005-232 TSO
1 x 2P-005-211 Buffet
1 x 2P-005-221 TFO
1 x 2P-005-222 TFO

Yes, I know I have 5 of the same TSO (You can't spot the numbers that easy) :P But, at £15.95 for the TSO's, this was not to be frowned upon.

Another issue I spotted, was with the Buffet 2P-005-211. The first class yellow band is the full length of the coach, this should only be a half yellow band over the seating area. Easy job to rectify though also with the airbrush (Bloody hell, its a good job I'm pretty good with an airbrush and masking!) oh, and also add the 2 missing number 1's next the doors on the Buffet.

Oh dear Dapol :no: 

Cheers, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

West Coast Models - www.westcoastmodels.co.uk

jivebunny

Yep you got those TSOs for a good price, I'd have done the same!

The black band on the coaches is a little too dark, but at least it's consistent between coaches. I'd rather have a range of products that are consistent in colour than the current greyscale rainbow of disappointment...

JB

MikeDunn

Think I must be colour-blind ... anyway, it's way too late for my layout  :P

But ... with reference to Karhedron's piccie on the previous page - what's the problem  ???  It looks OK to me  :confused1:

Yes, I can agree with you there JB...All these things are not major issues but, what annoys me aswell as a lot of other modellers is the price we are now having to pay, and for what? Wrongly produced items. I'm far from a box modeller, and I do enjoy re spraying, detailing etc but, it is nice from time to time especially with coaches and wagons, to just take them from the box and play.

I think Dapol need to have a word with Stevie Wonder when deciding on the final colour scheme :hmmm: never mind countless other faults with other releases. But, that's another story for another thread...

Cheers, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

West Coast Models - www.westcoastmodels.co.uk

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations