Pl10e motors hole or slot

Started by Derekm, October 21, 2020, 01:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derekm

Hi I'm a newbie and wondered if anyone could help Pl 10e and st5 turnout
The hole in baseboard does it need to be a hole or slot ?
How do you ballast if there is a hole ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

martyn

Its a lot more fiddly to do, but I use a slot.

Position the point in place and temporarily secure.
Drill, with a smallish drill, through the tiebar hole in the side you're going to put the motor on. Don't drill the tiebar itself!
Throw the point to the opposite running track, drill second hole through tiebar.
Remove point.
Join the two holes by means of a minidrill and/or small files. Make the overall length of the slot slightly longer than the two holes you've drilled initially.
It may help to make the lower, under baseboard, end of the slot slightly longer than the top slot as it may help the throw of the motor.
Place motor operating pin through the tiebar operating hole, check carefully that the throw is sufficient, then secure motor and test again.

When cutting the tiebar to its final length, ensure that the cutter you use is 'man' enough; the rod is hardened, and it will make corrugations in a cheap cutter with soft jaws (don't ask).

I've used this method for many years and a number of layouts and it certainly makes ballasting easier-for me- than cutting a reasonably big circular hole in the baseboard.

Its also easier if you can do this before fastening the baseboard to its supports, as access to top and bottom is easier than having to go under the baseboard to check and secure the point.

Martyn

stevewalker

I use round holes, the ballast can be teased to overhang a bit, so they are not too noticeable or two thin strips of card can be placed to the sides of the pin before ballasting.

Derekm

ntpntpntp

Yep, I do it the same as @stevewalker.   

I use a drill somewhere around 8mm (I think). I rarely find the need to cover any part of the hole with card or paper, I just tease glue-moistened ballast around the sides of the hole to reduce the apparent size.

Where possible I always try and have the hole on the far side of the point from the viewing public. It's not always achievable if there is a lot of complex pointwork in close proximity.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

And as a certain Mod' is often saying - wear eye protection when cutting!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ntpntpntp

Yes indeed @dannyboy .   I test-fit the motor, mark the rod above the tiebar with a permanent marker then remove before cutting the rod. Definitely DO NOT use a cutting disk while the motor is in situ, you'll just melt the tiebar  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations