Renumbering - best way to get waterslide numbers off

Started by AdrianC, October 14, 2019, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdrianC

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to put this here but I am now in a position to renumber the Farish DRS 37 I posted about a while back (when I was looking for replacement nose ends), with a lovely set of numbers and names on a single sheet from Railtec.

The loco appears to have been renumbered before as the numbers aren't lined up too well (appreciating that if I was using individual numbers as this seems to have done, I probably wouldn't do any better......), but what's the best way to get them off? Gentle scraping with a small scalpel or similar? Should I do anything to the surface to prep it afterwards other than make sure it's clean?

I've had a look through the Knowledge base but can't find anything, although there are probably a 1000 ways to describe what I'm asking!

All advice grateful received :)

Thanks in advance
Adrian
If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. It it doesn't move and should, WD40...

ntpntpntp

I presume the existing lettering was sealed over with some sort of varnish?

I don't do a lot of decal work, but I think the first objective would be to remove the sealing layer, after which the decals themselves should come off easily.  A gloss base surface is usually best for applying new decals as it's best at hiding the carrier film and prevents "silvering". Once applied, seal the new decals with a thin gloss/satin/matte layer to whatever is your preferred finish.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

RailGooner

Dip a cotton bud in IPA and shake off the excess, then wipe away lacquer and decal using small motions and little pressure. Or/and a fibreglass pencil.
:beers:

exmouthcraig

I use Meguiars Scratch X a bit like T-cut and a cotton bud or a softened cocktail stick. It will take time and once removed a fresh damp cotton bud to polish up ready for new decals.

Usually mask the area of the numbers so you only polish the exact area, once decals are dry and carrier film has all but become invisible a coat of Humbrol Matt Cote (well mixed) will hide all the evidence

AdrianC

Thanks all for your responses :)

I've looked closely and it does look like a layer of varnish has been applied, although I can see the outline of the decals it is very feint. I will consider my options :)

RailGooner

Whatever technique you use, if it's new to you go slow. Clean the affected area regularly (dab - DON'T WIPE - with a clean water-dampened cloth, don't dab with same bit of cloth twice, use a clean bit each dab) and check how you're going. Let us know how you get on. Hope it goes well.

AdrianC

Quote from: RailGooner on October 14, 2019, 10:35:45 PM
Whatever technique you use, if it's new to you go slow. Clean the affected area regularly (dab - DON'T WIPE - with a clean water-dampened cloth, don't dab with same bit of cloth twice, use a clean bit each dab) and check how you're going. Let us know how you get on. Hope it goes well.

Thanks @RailGooner

Well believe it or not a gentle scrape with the end of a pair of tweezers and careful used of a 12 inch to the foot finger nail and off they came  :thumbsup: No marks, so perhaps they weren't varnished after all.
I've done the numbers, and have even managed to get the tiny ones on the nose ends on but now my head hurts!!

Now the first problem, the first name plate doesn't seem to want to stay on. These are the railtec 3d ones, I did one first and even after 30 odd minutes it still happily slid off when I accidentally caught it, fortunately not damaged. Perhaps I need to leave them for a lot longer given they quite thick?

RailGooner

Quote from: AdrianC on October 14, 2019, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: RailGooner on October 14, 2019, 10:35:45 PM

Thanks @RailGooner

Well believe it or not a gentle scrape with the end of a pair of tweezers and careful used of a 12 inch to the foot finger nail and off they came  :thumbsup: No marks, so perhaps they weren't varnished after all.
I've done the numbers, and have even managed to get the tiny ones on the nose ends on but now my head hurts!!

Now the first problem, the first name plate doesn't seem to want to stay on. These are the railtec 3d ones, I did one first and even after 30 odd minutes it still happily slid off when I accidentally caught it, fortunately not damaged. Perhaps I need to leave them for a lot longer given they quite thick?

You're probably going to need to give the affected area a coat of gloss lacquer. Make sure the area is clean and dry, then brush on a thin coat of gloss lacquer. Leave to dry for 24~48 Hrs. Then apply your decals and leave to dry for a further 24~48 Hrs, before applying a thin coat of matt lacquer.

AdrianC

Well I've got the nameplates on, the first one had an hour under the spotlight I was using before I did the second then I've left it for a few days and will consider putting a little varnish over them and the numbers at the weekend.

I'll post a picture or two when it's done.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations