Newport, Monmouthshire layout - best choice for autocoach pulled by tank engine?

Started by JeffPreston, January 05, 2015, 12:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffPreston

Hi again everyone!

Can you help? I am looking for the best choice for an autocoach pulled by a tank engine.

First N Gauge layout! DCC, using Peco code 80.

In general I prefer reliability over microscopic detail - so for example if a loco runs forever but doesn't have a separate pack of rivets supplied with it - that loco would be my preference over others that come with detailing kits but derail on wide continuous curves when driven at scale speeds.   :(

I am no expert and so I may not have my facts straight!   :-\

I am building a layout around the period of the end of steam and introduction of diesel. I am being a little flexible with the simulated date as I want perhaps rather more steam than I should - I guess the date is around 1964-ish.

Does anyone have any ideas what livery an autocoach should be on the BR Western Region at that time (maroon?) - and were they even still being used?

Were there any GWR chocolate and cream autocoaches still in use at that time?

Whose autocoach do you recommend for the job?

And which tank engine - I imagine a pannier? If so - which one - and made by whom?

Any comments on the above and also on the reliability of any loco suggested would be greatly appreciated.

Finally - ideally - for that extra value for my N-Gauge budget - I would also be able to use the tank engine for shunting and small passenger or goods trains too.  :claphappy:

Thanks in advance for any advice!  ;)

JeffPreston

Hi OM:

Excellent! Thanks for all the tips! Dapol have one in maroon for £14.95 and it certainly looks splendid.

As for the loco - sorry I forgot - I am looking for DCC ready as greatly preferred.

Zunnan

As Only Me points out, the only currently available autocoach is the Dapol model, and really the only suitable locomotive currently available is the Dapol 14xx. It is DCCable even though it isn't advertised as DCC ready but it does require some potentially fiddly rewiring. If you baulk at the idea of doing this yourself there are retail outlets out there who can and will fit a suitable chip into these for a nominal fee.

Your alternative currently would be to use the Dapol 57xx Pannier tank, which is DCC ready and is also sold as DCC fitted I believe, with the Dapol autocoach. There were some 57xx auto fitted, and autocoaches did find use being used as an ordinary coach with an unfitted locomotive, especially if the usual auto fitted locomotive was waylaid necessitating a replacement.

There is another option open to you, if you are prepared to wait a little. Farish are in the process of producing the later surviving (possibly better suited to a 1964 period) Hawksworth auto trailer and a 64xx pannier tank, all of which were auto fitted, which is to be DCC ready also.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Karhedron

I would be inclined to wait for the Farish 64xx pannier and auto coach. The type modelled by Dapol had gone from service by the early 60s. Also the Dapol 14xx is a bit light and not the best hauler as it was one of their early models. Based on recent releases, I expect the Farish one to be better. Downside is that it is still in development and you may have to wait a while before it is available.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

JeffPreston

Many thanks to Zunnan and to Karhedron!

Reliability is a hugely important thing to me - and the ability to haul a good load. This is my first N layout and I've already had some false starts - sent the first brand new loco back because it kept derailing on my 380mm radius curves. Got a Farish WD Austerity instead and am very pleased with it.  :D

You've given me plenty to think about!  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations