Anyone know what this is...?

Started by Ozymandias, December 12, 2014, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozymandias

I bought this part-built kit as part of a job lot - does anyone know what sort of loco it is and/or what sort of dome it should have?!

Thanks for advice/suggestions! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

austinbob

Looks like it might be a GWR county class but the chimney looks wrong (for just about any loco). If I'm right then you'll be able to see the dome on a photo of the class.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Ozymandias

Thanks for the pointer, Bob - it looks like it might have been an attempt to recreate the Hawksworth version of the County (first pic on this link), but that funnel is wrong: http://locodriver.co.uk/Vol07/Part03/02/index.html

Nice-looking loco, though - I think I'll try and model it! :)

austinbob

That's a very interesting web site you've found there. I'll have a browse round later.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

railsquid

Quote from: Ozymandias on December 12, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
I bought this part-built kit as part of a job lot - does anyone know what sort of loco it is

Looks like a steam loco to me.

Ducks

Ozymandias

Quote from: railsquid on December 12, 2014, 12:23:53 PM
Quote from: Ozymandias on December 12, 2014, 10:50:28 AM
I bought this part-built kit as part of a job lot - does anyone know what sort of loco it is

Looks like a steam loco to me.

Ducks

:doh:    ;)

austinbob

Quote from: Ozymandias on December 12, 2014, 11:23:54 AM
Thanks for the pointer, Bob - it looks like it might have been an attempt to recreate the Hawksworth version of the County (first pic on this link), but that funnel is wrong: http://locodriver.co.uk/Vol07/Part03/02/index.html

Nice-looking loco, though - I think I'll try and model it! :)

WARNING

I had a look round some of the web site in your post. Everyone should be aware that my Virus program (Bitdefender) identifed Trojan HTML.Allaple.Gen in some of the pages. Could be a false positive but beware.

Bob Austin

port perran

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

austinbob

I'm just wondering if that rather ugly double cast chimney was intended to be fettled to shape. In fact all the castings are a bit primitive and would need a fair bit of work to produce a reasonable model. I wonder where the kit originates from?

Bob Austin

bridgiesimon

Langley do a kit for a GWR County loco body and tender, maybe it is one of those although as mentioned that chimney is pretty aweful -

http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Locomotive_Body_kits_NEW_Kit_Release_73.html

Best wishes
Simon

austinbob

Quote from: bridgiesimon on December 12, 2014, 06:16:38 PM
Langley do a kit for a GWR County loco body and tender, maybe it is one of those although as mentioned that chimney is pretty aweful -

http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Locomotive_Body_kits_NEW_Kit_Release_73.html

Best wishes
Simon

Looks not bad at all - nice(ish) chimney as well. I didn't realise that Langley did such an extensive range. Are the chassis' they mention for their models readily available or do you have to buy a complete loco to get the chassis?

Bob Austin

bridgiesimon

Complete loco I think, some of the chassis used to be available years ago but Farish stopping supplying them a long time ago. At least with Ebay, you can acquire the loco and sell on the body to get some of the cost back.

best wishes
Simon

BudgieJane

Quote from: port perran on December 12, 2014, 04:57:22 PM
Pretty sure it's an attempt at a double chimneyed GWR County.
Picture shows a double chimney example and clearly shows the dome.

What dome? GWR 4-6-0s did not have a dome.
Best wishes

Jane

austinbob

Quote from: BudgieJane on December 13, 2014, 02:14:33 PM
Quote from: port perran on December 12, 2014, 04:57:22 PM
Pretty sure it's an attempt at a double chimneyed GWR County.
Picture shows a double chimney example and clearly shows the dome.

What dome? GWR 4-6-0s did not have a dome.
Ok Jane
Lets call it the copper thingy where the dome would have been.
:dunce:

Bob Austin

Ozymandias

That's the kind of technical jargon I can cope with...!  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations