Peco Kit Built Wagons - Accurate?

Started by ScottyStitch, December 08, 2014, 03:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

Can anyone advise how accurate/prototypical Peco's kit rolling stock are? I'm thinking in particular the grain hopper, cattle wagon and the vans, but also in general.

Thanks

Scotty.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 08, 2014, 03:27:58 PM
Can anyone advise how accurate/prototypical Peco's kit rolling stock are? I'm thinking in particular the grain hopper, cattle wagon and the vans, but also in general.

Thanks

Scotty.

Hi

The grain hopper body isn't bad but the chassis is wrong as it the same one they use for all their 15ft wheelbase wagons. Can't comment on the others as I have never built them.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

NeMo

I've done a few of them. My thoughts, for what they're worth:

Pros:

• Cheap.
  • Easy to put together.
  • Chassis can be used for all sorts of third party kits as well.
Cons:

• The simple plastic mouldings are not as detailed as the best modern kits, particularly when compared to kits that use Peco chassis but add etched brass details as well as plastic parts (for example TPM kits).
  • ELSIE couplings aren't spring-loaded so tend to be less reliable or compatible with other stock (in my experience sometimes uncouple on less-than-perfect sections of track where Rapido couplings work just fine).
  • Plastic, pizza-cutter wheels (sometimes behaved unpredictably on Kato points, for example).
  • No transfers (compare this to many NGS kits for example). Even a basic set of transfers from Fox will set you back almost £10 after postage, so the cheapness of a Peco kit is somewhat offset by this extra expense if you only make one of particular kit design. Of course if you make a dozen of them, then the cost of the transfers (and paints, of course) is ameliorated somewhat.
Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

ScottyStitch

Quote from: NeMo on December 08, 2014, 05:53:49 PM
I've done a few of them. My thoughts, for what they're worth:

Pros:

• Cheap.
  • Easy to put together.
  • Chassis can be used for all sorts of third party kits as well.
Cons:

• The simple plastic mouldings are not as detailed as the best modern kits, particularly when compared to kits that use Peco chassis but add etched brass details as well as plastic parts (for example TPM kits).
  • ELSIE couplings aren't spring-loaded so tend to be less reliable or compatible with other stock (in my experience sometimes uncouple on less-than-perfect sections of track where Rapido couplings work just fine).
  • Plastic, pizza-cutter wheels (sometimes behaved unpredictably on Kato points, for example).
  • No transfers (compare this to many NGS kits for example). Even a basic set of transfers from Fox will set you back almost £10 after postage, so the cheapness of a Peco kit is somewhat offset by this extra expense if you only make one of particular kit design. Of course if you make a dozen of them, then the cost of the transfers (and paints, of course) is ameliorated somewhat.
Cheers, NeMo

Thanks Nemo

Regarding your cons:

1 - That's the conclusion I came to as well, but I'm hoping by the time they are weather, etc, it will hopefully not be too noticeable
2 - I was concerned about the ELSIEs, so I may have to replace them with something else (most of my freight trains will be in fixed rakes)
3 - I was planning on replacing the wheels with metal Farish examples
4 - Noted. I was considering the Peco wagons for when I wanted a few of them to form block trains or create some variety so they would most likely be built in batches. I was also planning on mixing them up with NGS kits to help with variety.

My main concern was whether they were modelled from actual prototypes or were just generic. I've seen their mineral wagons made by someone on this forum, can't remember who, and they actually looked pretty good.

Thanks both again

Scotty

NeMo

Quote from: ScottyStitch on December 08, 2014, 06:54:46 PM
My main concern was whether they were modelled from actual prototypes or were just generic. I've seen their mineral wagons made by someone on this forum, can't remember who, and they actually looked pretty good.
Well, I think they're based on real prototypes, but by the standards of the latest models, they're not especially "sharp" models of those prototypes. They've got to be, what, 20 or 30 year old models by now?

The 12-ton vans for example lack the fine detail of the modern Farish ones for example (such as brake pipes) and the mouldings, to me, just seem a bit coarse when stood next to a Farish van.

No doubt proper painting, transfers and weathering will make all the difference though!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Agrippa

If you're not too bothered about being strictly accurate the Peco
kits are cheap and fun. I think most of the kits have a ready made
and painted counterpart.

A pity they don't sell bogie wagon and coach kits.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

austinbob

Quote from: Agrippa on December 08, 2014, 07:07:02 PM
If you're not too bothered about being strictly accurate the Peco
kits are cheap and fun. I think most of the kits have a ready made
and painted counterpart.

A pity they don't sell bogie wagon and coach kits.

I agree with that -and you can build up a bunch of wagons very quickly at low cost. The only problem I've had is finding suitable transfers. The ones Peco recommend on their instructions I believe are no longer available.

Coach kits would be nice, but what chassis' would they base them on?
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

PaulCheffus

Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Komata

As has already been noted, the wagons are quick and easy (and fun). BTW, although the underside retaining nuts can be a bit tedious to work with. I've used them for many years, and would suggest that should one feel so-inclined, they can be used as the basis for a whole raft of 'Freelance' wagons; very useful when just starting out if following that line of endeavour.

The couplers though can be a real 'pain' as they 'flop' and uncouple at 'inopportune' times. As  Nemo has already pointed out, this can be 'inconvenient' (and, I have noticed,  invariably occurs in front of an audience). 

IMHO, the solutions to this problem are to (a) 'live with it' (and don't run them over 'doubtful' track); (b) glue the couplings in place, effectively making them 'body-mounts', or (c) install MTL's (after cutting away a considerable amount of the original coupler pocket.

For starters, and if requiring large numbers in a short time, and at 'relatively' low cost, they would be very useful; they are 'space fillers' rather than 'high-detail' units.

Hope this helps.

"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

elmo

Peco elsie couplings work perfectly if they are all level. This can be achieved by adjusting the under-chassis nut. In my experience I much prefer these over sprung couplings.
Elmo

Paul B

And of course you can have a rake of trucks that no-one else has!  :)

(Courtesy of 12 Peco 7 plank wagon kits and Robbies Rolling Stock for the transfers!)

They do need some 'weathering' as well as coal loads but, when run behind a rake of Peco Colmans box vans, they really do brighten up a layout - and the public seemed to enjoy seeing them!  :claphappy:
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Rabbitaway

Hi All

Consider using Robbie's Rolling Stock transfers for 10 feet 7 plank and tank wagons. They make very attractive and individual wagons.  Although time consuming to complete

:thumbsup:

Rabbitaway

Paul

You were quicker on this one

Nice rake of wagons

:bounce:

Bealman

I've always had a soft spot for Peco wagons although they are not strictly accurate. I own a lot of them, although I have never built a kit version. As Nemo says, they are indeed old - I remember seeing my first one 40-odd years ago!!

Love the Coleman's rake!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations