Powering a Traverser

Started by lionwing, December 04, 2014, 08:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

For my new layout I want to include a four track traverser of which two tracks would be engaged with the main line at any one time.

Using DC I am trying to understand how to power the tracks on the traverser when aligned with the main line.

My idea is to run power to just one rail on each of the tracks on the traverser.  Then when aligned with the main line using a brass bolt (which will also lock the traverser in place) which is wired to the main line rail which links to the un-powered taverser rail.  There the bolt will make the un-powered traverser rail live and we should have a live track!

Is this a sensible solution or is my lack of knowledge preventing me from seeing a much simpler method?

Many thanks...
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Malc

I've seen a number of ways to do this, at various shows. There is no reason why your suggestion wouldn't work. I've seen people use crocodile clips on flying leads to connect to the traverser tracks. I've seen small speaker sockets on the main board and leads soldered to the traverser  track and the other way round, with the sockets connecting to the traverser track. One layout used switches on the traverser board. You can also put springy strips of copper on the edge of the main board to connect to studs on the edge of the traverser board. I'd be interested to see if your idea works in practice as it may be difficult to solder wires onto the bolt.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

lionwing

Malc

Thank you for the reply.

Plenty of ideas for me to work through and I am looking forward to the challenge!

Richard
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations