How far can you stretch Rule 1?

Started by Dorsetmike, October 10, 2013, 10:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: REGP on October 11, 2013, 10:32:20 AM

Quite how I justify Intercity HST's and Class 47's I don't know.

Ray

You could always pretend that the 47 as been upgraded to a 57.  ;D  FGW have been running 57's on their night sleeper for a long while now.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Jerry Howlett

If a certain Ex pat in the Southern part of Europe can run a Blue Pullman on the Fairford Branch.... ANYTHING GOES!!!

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Mr chapman

TANK, I was wondering when the NSE 125 would turn up :D Does look nice that...
DCC southern modeller

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Bealman on October 11, 2013, 05:47:44 AM
Agree - ask Petercharlesfagg... he is indeed the forum's advocate on the subject!  :thumbsup:

Thoughts, there, Pcf?  :thumbsup:

George

Like another poster I raised my eyebrows and said to myself "There are rules?"

Thankyou George, if it is of any interest whatsoever, I have just rebuilt a defunct Class 101 using a Tomytec 18mm base unit and it runs like a dream, it even pulls my Canadian observation car and my German restaurant car, these were also coupled up with a couple of my revamped Peco kit wagons and a Kato wagon.

It looked good and as I say it ran well and so quiet!

I had a great time!

Do like Douglas Bader who stated that "Rules are made to be broken"!

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

NeMo

I love Tank's approach to liveries!

It's funny how some people object to seeing a loco that's been painted in a non-prototypical way, yet will happily model entire mainlines or branchlines that never existed, or were ripped up dozens of years ago!

After all, how often have we seen nonsense liveries on real locomotives? Just thinking back to my teenage years, there were 47s and 50s in GWR livery, DMUs in chocolate and cream, even a 37 painted like a police car! I'm sure others with deeper knowledge of the subject can think of even more bizarre examples.

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: Mr chapman on October 11, 2013, 05:19:36 PM
TANK, I was wondering when the NSE 125 would turn up :D Does look nice that...
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

bigbob

I run anything with anything because i don`t have a clue what goes with what :P

Suits me!!

EtchedPixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28083135@N06/6993246957/#

is pretty rule 1 - Far Tottering & Oystercreek. It's been modelled several times too.

I can also think of models based on the Discworld, and one exhiition layout has a motorised pig to run when they get an overdose of rivet counters. A mouse would be more fun IMHO, or for N I guess something like a big plastic spider.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Luke Piewalker

I have a model railway so I can run trains on it. If it's a train I want to see running, I'll run it. I'm not going to spend a year building a new layout every time I want to run a different engine...
Of course if we are talking exhibitions it would be a slightly different story. On the other hand I remember back in the depths of time seeing a Kato Eurostar for the first time at ModelRail Scotland. Frankly it could have been a model of the lunar surface with an oval of track on it and we all would have happily watched it going round for hours...
And I still want one...

Geoff

So if Rule 1 has gone out of the window does that mean I can run any foreign Loco on my track, Well now that has got me thinking.
Geoff

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Geoff on October 11, 2013, 07:44:19 PM
So if Rule 1 has gone out of the window does that mean I can run any foreign Loco on my track, Well now that has got me thinking.

Guess why I'm modelling a ficticious HS2 style line into Birmingham  ::)

Means I can run ICE services, Eurostar and once I've managed to build/convert all the bits an ETR500 (the Milan service) plus loco hauled continental sleeper service and rolling road service. Some steel stuff may follow later (on the basis that if you gauge cleared an HS2 type line into the old Snow Hill you'd then be pretty certain to take it to the Wolverhampton steel terminal).

A parcels TGV also looks very tempting.

I have tried to apply some discipline though, and stick to stuff that would feasibly go via the tunnel and appropriate motive power. With all the new testing and clearances beginning to happen that should soon be a nice wide range.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Kipper

Phew - now I can happily run my US rolling stock on UK style Peco Setrack, and not feel I should be using US style track.

Lankyman

Rule 1 applies to every layout and its owner and simply means you run what you like. For me as a former professional railwayman it has to be realistic unless you are modelling a heritage line. Thus it is a form of rationing to keep me within the bounds of what I can afford, so it is BR standard or BR (LMR) 1950's/1960's although I am very tempted with a lot of other Regions stuff that I remember from past holidays so Rule 1 might yet apply. What will never happen is all the modern stuff and particularly painted in NSE colours.

Ron
Ron

Jack

Quote from: Lankyman on October 11, 2013, 09:38:34 PM
....stuff that I remember from past holidays so Rule 1 might yet apply. What will never happen is all the modern stuff and particularly painted in NSE colours.

Ron

:o Our headmaster may send you to the naughty corner for such language.  :laugh:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jack9465 on October 11, 2013, 09:53:58 PM
Quote from: Lankyman on October 11, 2013, 09:38:34 PM
....stuff that I remember from past holidays so Rule 1 might yet apply. What will never happen is all the modern stuff and particularly painted in NSE colours.

Ron

:o Our headmaster may send you to the naughty corner for such language.  :laugh:

We all use toothpaste....................don't we? :uneasy:

trainsdownunder

Quoteor for N I guess something like a big plastic spider.

Don't need these out here got the real thing. Had a train derail recently to find there was a "largish" Huntsman across the track on a tunnel exit. The pics I posted some time ago are of a slightly smaller version. For the non squeamish the smaller one https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-r7TjuIQ94nQ/UAQc4RgW_zI/AAAAAAAADUw/QFewtoW89Tg/w634-h845-no/P1050842.JPG

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations