The lure of old tat

Started by belstone, December 09, 2014, 09:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belstone

Why do I keep doing this? Buying broken stuff on eBay.  I have just bought a non-running American diesel for no other reason than that it was cheap.  I don't need it, can't think of what to do with it other than a vague idea that the mechanism might be handy for something one day.  Meanwhile it will join the non-running, battered Farish 4F and Pannier that I bought a couple of weeks ago in the drawer full of stuff I don't need and don't have time to do anything with. Anyone else have this problem?

Luke Piewalker

But it's a source of spares! That you'll end up trying to make go! Probably by spending more on spares than it cost you in the first place!

austinbob

Quote from: belstone on December 09, 2014, 09:31:51 PM
Why do I keep doing this? Buying broken stuff on eBay.  I have just bought a non-running American diesel for no other reason than that it was cheap.  I don't need it, can't think of what to do with it other than a vague idea that the mechanism might be handy for something one day.  Meanwhile it will join the non-running, battered Farish 4F and Pannier that I bought a couple of weeks ago in the drawer full of stuff I don't need and don't have time to do anything with. Anyone else have this problem?

belstone - its just an addiction - go see a counsellor and send all your spare bits to me so I can add them to my collection!!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

scotsoft

I have just bought a non-running American diesel for no other reason than that it was cheap.

What make/ loco is it?

Quote from: Only Me on December 09, 2014, 10:15:28 PM
I'm the king of old tat, have a drawer full of old junk im hopeful of resurecting :D

Perhaps you should change your forum name to Lazarus  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

cheers John.

belstone

Quote from: scotsoft on December 09, 2014, 11:01:02 PM
I have just bought a non-running American diesel for no other reason than that it was cheap.

What make/ loco is it?

cheers John.

It was described as Kato or Con-Cor, type unspecified, but I think it's actually an Atlas RS11.  I have one of these chassis under a Langley NBL Type 2 body and it runs beautifully. So it isn't an entirely random purchase.

DesertHound

Quote from: Luke Piewalker on December 09, 2014, 09:34:49 PM
But it's a source of spares! That you'll end up trying to make go! Probably by spending more on spares than it cost you in the first place!

Luke, I'm halfway to getting one of those beauties in your picture with the amount I've spent on spares! But it's a hobby, just like drinking beer, and we have to spend money to do that too!
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Malc

I know what you mean Belstone, I have a number of locos and coaches by Lima.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

trainsdownunder

Quote from: austinbob on December 09, 2014, 10:14:05 PM
belstone - its just an addiction - go see a counsellor and send all your spare bits to me so I can add them to my collection!!

My forum signature carries that very warning !

Newportnobby

And there was me thinking I'd learn why my ex married me all those years ago :doh:

Karhedron

I have this problem worse with my other hobby of miniature wargaming (the Games workshop variety). The models are expensive to buy new and there is a fairly bouyant 2nd hand market as a result. However you can get some real bargains when people leave the hobby and dispose of bulk loads of models in one go.

I have boxes of models in various states that I have aquired dirt-cheap in this way. I could probably build a couple of armies (or close to) from the parts if I had the space to sort and organise them and the time to build and paint them.

My wife and I were moving some furniture last weekend in order to give the kids a proper playroom and I found boxes of models I had completely forgotten about. I really must get around to doing something with them.  :-[
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

mr bachmann

you lot need not worry , try it with three wheeler cars , yard & garage full , 3 restoration started whilst working around the concurs winner !

belstone

Quote from: Malc on December 10, 2014, 10:08:15 AM
I know what you mean Belstone, I have a number of locos and coaches by Lima.

I was wondering whether I could make a respectable Cravens DMU using those Lima 'shortie' Mk1s as a base.  Then I had a look at how much people want for them on eBay.  At least a tenner each, sometimes £15. Madness.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations