Why is it so difficult to post pictures to this forum?

Started by RikkiGTR, February 15, 2024, 12:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RikkiGTR

Am I doing something wrong? The only option to upload pictures appears to be clicking where it says: • NOTE: If you want to add an image to the gallery please use [REPLY] button instead

Clicking on that opens another window where I can upload images, but 9 times out of 10 when I do that the new window refreshes to the thread I was looking at, with no images uploaded and no reply typed out.

What is actually going on?
Back once again.

Webbo

I'm having the same trouble. The missing images are showing up in the Gallery. So, adding pictures to a post is taking 3 times as long as it used to.

Webbo

Intercity

I think these process could be easier, but I haven't had problems, the steps I generally use are:

Go to gallery
Hit add picture
Select user gallery - category "my gallery"
upload the picture
Look for the BB code (starts with [img] )
Copy the entire text make sure you include the img tag at the end
Open your reply or topic and paste that to the thread
Hit preview to make sure it displays
Hit post to publish it.

Note, I use two browser windows if I'm posting multiple images so I can copy and paste the BBcode to the reply/topic window from the other window.

Bealman

Yes, that's basically the procedure I use. It becomes second nature quickly.

However, there is no doubt that it's cumbersome, and we've had several questions about it over the years.

Tank is aware of it, and hopefully a simpler process will be developed.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

keithbythe sea

Same process for me as that described by Intercity. I've used it for the past 8 years with very few problems.

Whilst there are better forum apps around, there are also many worse.

chrism

Quote from: Intercity on February 15, 2024, 03:06:22 AMLook for the BB code (starts with [img] )
Copy the entire text make sure you include the img tag at the end

If it's there on your browser/OS, if you just hit the button that looks like 2 bits of paper at the end of the box containing the code and it selects & copies the full BB Code URL to the clipboard ready for pasting into the post - that is both quicker and eliminates the risk of missing characters at either end of the code.

Quote from: Bealman on February 15, 2024, 03:38:57 AMHowever, there is no doubt that it's cumbersome, and we've had several questions about it over the years.
Tank is aware of it, and hopefully a simpler process will be developed.

Strangely, since the latest forum upgrade I find uploading pics to my gallery to be simpler than it was before - especially bulk upload with drag and drop. In fact I fond it so much simpler that I use bulk upload even to add a single image.

The only thing that I find lacking since the upgrade is the code to embed an image in a post so that when clicked it expands over the post rather than opening the image in the gallery before it can be clicked again to expand it.

nabber

Quote from: chrism on February 15, 2024, 07:29:29 AMStrangely, since the latest forum upgrade I find uploading pics to my gallery to be simpler than it was before - especially bulk upload with drag and drop. In fact I fond it so much simpler that I use bulk upload even to add a single image.
Same here. You don't have to think of a name for your uploaded photo either - it just uploads with the original filename.

Neil

chrism

Quote from: nabber on February 15, 2024, 07:31:28 AMSame here. You don't have to think of a name for your uploaded photo either - it just uploads with the original filename.

I'd forgotten that bit - although, since I always use the bulk upload using drag & drop (even for just one image), there isn't an option to give it a name anyway.

PLD

Can we more accurately rename this thread "Why do some still find it difficult to post pictures to this forum?, when others just follow simple instructions..."

When you click on NOTE: If you want to add an image to the gallery please use [REPLY] button instead you should get a pop-up box like this. - If you don't it is a local setting in your browser preventing it, not a forum fault...

Just fill in the details, click add picture and the bb-code even automatically appears in your draft post!

You can even do it multiple times in the same post - takes less than 10 seconds per pic...

Admittedly, "NOTE: If you want to add an image to the gallery please use [REPLY] button instead" could possibly be better labelled e.g. "Click here If you want to add an image to your post"

Steven B

The pop-up window confuses matters by having two upload sections. Only one is needed (saves image to different locations on the Forum's server) but they're a bit mushed together.

Once you've done it a couple of times it becomes a lot easier to do. At least we have control over where images go in a post. In another forum I use all the photos end up at the bottom of the text.

Steven B

ntpntpntp

It's a little clunky compared to some forums, always has been and the last update didn't help when it became necessary to include that NOTE:..  message within the editor box (the link to add images used to be just above the box). 

That said, if you follow the instructions as @PLD says (eg. use the Reply button first not the Quick Reply box) it works fine, I have no problems with it.   The wording of the link isn't ideal perhaps (we discussed this at the time), it's trying to remind you which option to use first.   If you try and use the link from Quick Reply that's when it goes through the motions of uploading but then doesn't actually add the link to your post, but as has been said you image will have been uploaded you just have to find it and copy the link.  Open a second browser tab and navigate to the Gallery and it'll show  up as the most recently added image.

The alternative method of adding the pictures to your gallery first and then copying the link into your post also works fine - I use that method if I have several images to upload or if I want to embed a previous image from my gallery.

With regard to the choice of sections to upload, well I always try and upload to my gallery except for images which I'll never want to re-use again or are for someone else (eg. pulling an image out of a pdf where someone's used that method of attachment).  I have subfolders within my gallery for specific subjects, though I admit a lot ends up in "Miscellaneous" :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Train Waiting

Firstly, full disclosure.  I'm a complete half-wit as regards digital technology.  And that's on a good day.  I've never found it interesting and have only learnt the absolute basics to do what I want.

Like posting dodgy pictures on our FabulousForum.  I use the method @PLD helpfully described and upon which @Steven B and @ntpntpntp kindly elaborated.  Thank you, chaps.

I find it works about eight times out of ten.  If it sulks, I simply save my draft post and reopen it.  Then try again.  This appears to jolt the recalcitrant electrons out of their complacency and the picture goes where I want it to go.

I agree completely that the text NOTE: If you want to add an image to the gallery please use [REPLY] button instead is mightily confusing.  It seemed to appear at the last forum upgrade and threw me for a day or two as I was already using the [REPLY} button.  But I'm used to it now.  I seem to recall, to switch off a Microsoft computer, one had to click on the [START} button until, eventually, this was changed.  Perhaps confusing instructions are commonplace with digital technology.

With regard to the 'Gallery' feature, I've never knowingly used it.  I just use the 'Random Pictures' facility.  Interestingly, I was kindly given a 'Larger Gallery' by @Tank so that I could continue to post pictures which implies I might be using the 'Gallery' after all.  Just that I don't know I am.  Which, rather neatly, takes us back to my opening remark.

This is the only internet forum I use, so I have no idea what others are like and cannot offer comparisons.  I have attempted to view a couple of things on RMWEB but was bombarded by advertising-type stuff which caused me to retreat.

Many thanks to Chris, the MarvellousModerators and the technical support person/s for giving us this wonderful resource which I really enjoy.

With all best wishes

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

As one who has 100s, maybe even 1000s of pics stored on the forum I've always used the 'Gallery' (Jeez, but I hate that word. What's wrong with 'album'?). I just create one with a title such as 'TINGS Mugshots' and upload relevant pics into it. Like others, I use upload multiple pics even if just one. Then I use the BB code to copy the required pic into a post. At the RH end of the BB code there's what looks like 2 sheets of blue A4 overlapping. Click on that, go to your post and hit 'Paste'. Preview your post if you are unsure of success. I find it easiest to have the forum open in 2 tabs, especially if posting more than one pic.
It is clunky but it works and, like everything, practice makes things easier.

Browning 9mm

the above prompted me to see if I have a gallery, and after much faffing about I found I do not.

which to me is great, but if anyone want to rent space in my gallery, feel free to contact me. :)

Newportnobby

I opened one gallery and found a Minstrel in there.
I shouted "Oi! Ian Anderson! Get out of my gallery! :telloff: "
(especially for Jethro Tull fans)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations