NER Dynamometer help wanted

Started by Snowwolflair, March 05, 2018, 06:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutter

Search Google images for  "NER dynamometer interior" and you'll find a couple of useful photos of the real thing and several images of model interiors. I too have ordered the 3D print -- remember that this vehicle was lined in 1938! Will Fox add "DYNAMOMETER CAR" to their N scale carriage branding transfer sheet one day as they have for OO do you think?
Now if only someone would do an N gauge 3D print of the 12 wheeled saloons from the LNER royal train ...

Snowwolflair

Cutter

To go back to the original question, there is a drawing of the dynamometer car in the Isinglass range, which should help.

I have a dumb question--did this car run in a particular direction? What I mean is, did it have to be marshaled a particular way round--would the ducket have been always at the back, or did it not matter?

Snowwolflair

I have their drawing but its very poor on detail.  I think I will be going to York soon to do my own drawing.

Cutter

I am now told that this car was always marshaled immediately behind the locomotive, with the rounded end of the bay in the middle facing towards the front and the flat end of the bay to the rear. The duckets were evidently added shortly before Mallard's 1938 run, and would thus have been at the leading end of the vehicle, with the white dynamometer wheel in front of the bay. This is the way the car is displayed at the NRM behind Mallard in the photos I have found online.

Snowwolflair

I took 95 shots of her last weekend at the NRM York and when I get time to sort them out I will post some of the more significant ones.

This shot however is invaluable.

Snowwolflair

Some progress.

Having watched with interest @Stevie DC thread on coaches and how to paint LNER wood I thought I would dig this project out as a fill in while other models are drying, and to try some of his techniques.

The body available from Shapeways, noted earlier in the thread, is a nice starting point, however the large windows and the nature of the coach type means that some representation of the internal seating benches and instruments is really necessary.  The detail does not have to be much more than a suggestion and is an ideal project to run off on my 3D printer.  In addition to the interior the printed module has the bogie mounts on the underside.  I will add the under frame in etch parts (from my scrap box).

Now I have this printed I need to clean up the prints and undercoat.

Cutter

I have built a similar interior for my print using styrene sheet and scraps. Note that the dynamometer wheel was not white in 1938 but dark (black or brown plus grime?). Also, the car was lined in 1938. I've represented that by scraping through my paint lightly with a fine scribe to expose the white print material and then applying a wash of yellow to the entire vehicle. All I want is a very subtle effect. I've not yet been able to figure out how to do the "dynamometer car" lettering--which is inaccurate on the preserved car in York. The spacing and location of the characters was subtly different in 1938. Finally, I've represented the safety bar on the bay windows by scribing a line on the inside of my glazing material.

Snowwolflair

I can print transfers and I have been playing around with generating the lettering.

Snowwolflair

Basic undercoating ready for the teak effect (I hope).  It will need weight and I will incorporate this into the under frame when I build it.

Snowwolflair

So far so good.  Next stage will be to darken and age the wood once the oil paints are dry.

Shiney Sheff

No disrespects, but why have you done the roof too ?

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Shiney Sheff on May 01, 2020, 12:44:14 PM
No disrespects, but why have you done the roof too ?

To do the clerestory window frames there is inevitable spillover, given the brushing technique to create the wood effect. 

Its been cleared with turps but the oil paint still stains the undercoat.  It wont make any difference when the roof is masked and painted.

Bit like painting the entire nose of a blue diesel yellow and then masking before painting the blue.

Shiney Sheff

Thanks for the explanation, I fully understand now,  :thumbsup:

Cutter

Is the clerestory grained? I thought it was painted brown like the solebars, or is that from the last restoration?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations