Bachmann (inc EFE and Graham Farish) Summer 2023 announcements

Started by Skyline2uk, May 03, 2023, 12:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

It's great to see a good selection of N stuff from Bachmann. It looks like there's something for most, which is a good spread.

Nothing that I want, or indeed need, but it's a good sign that they haven't given up on us yet.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Graham

great to see all the new releases across the eras. One or two take my fancy. Now to find the wallet which has gone into hiding when it heard of the new releases.

westie7

Great to see another mk2f TSO run. They probably thought we won't do anymore FO as there'll be plenty around, it's just that there aren't!

Just need to figure out which retailer will do the best price for a good amount for a rake 5/6?

The lack of any 2a alongside the mk1 and aircons makes me wonder if they expect Accurascale to start shrinking coaches

eddief83

Quote from: westie7 on May 04, 2023, 02:41:23 PM
The lack of any 2a alongside the mk1 and aircons makes me wonder if they expect Accurascale to start shrinking coaches

I would guess its more to do with spreading coaches out, they will only have a certain amount of container space available for shipping. If you can fit extra products on great but there will be a sensible cut off for how full a container will be to ship it. Sometimes it might be better to wait a few months and ship with something else to reduce shipping costs.

Plus if you bring too much in too quickly you will have a warehouse full to store and sales will be slower cause we all can't afford 7 or 8 Mk1's, 5 or 6 Mk2's and a batch of Mk2F's in one hit - hopefully I will get some Mark 1's on release and boost my numbers at TINGS

Steven B

A batch of Mk2a was released in 2022 so it's perhaps not that surprising there's no more been announced so far. To put it into context, according to ngauge.org the last maroon Mk1 SK was released in 2016!

If Bachmann were expecting Accurascale to enter the non-aircon market then surely they'd want to pre-empt it by making the most of their own tooling before the competition arrived.

Look at the OO and 009 ranges announced at the same time - very much reduced from previous quarter's releases. To my mind, the only reason there aren't Mk2a is simply because all the factory capacity is being taken up with Mk1 and Mk2F!

I'd be very surprised if Accurascale don't shrink their Mk2B and Mk2C. Fortunately there's room for a mix of types in many trains!

Steven B.

Bob G

If they bring out their Mark 2Bs in N then I will sell my Bachmann Mark 2As - as the 2Bs were the staple of the Waterloo - Exeter route under Class 33 and Class 50 haulage.

At the moment, Mark 2As are as close as I can get.

Bob

westie7

Quote from: Steven B on May 04, 2023, 04:55:26 PM

A batch of Mk2a was released in 2022 so it's perhaps not that surprising there's no more been announced so far. To put it into context, according to ngauge.org the last maroon Mk1 SK was released in 2016!

If Bachmann were expecting Accurascale to enter the non-aircon market then surely they'd want to pre-empt it by making the most of their own tooling before the competition arrived.

Look at the OO and 009 ranges announced at the same time - very much reduced from previous quarter's releases. To my mind, the only reason there aren't Mk2a is simply because all the factory capacity is being taken up with Mk1 and Mk2F!

I'd be very surprised if Accurascale don't shrink their Mk2B and Mk2C. Fortunately there's room for a mix of types in many trains!

Steven B.

Should have been more specific, "Blue Grey Mk2a"
Not been seen in a long time and now a premium when they appear

Panpa

I had very low expectations for this release after being disappointed by previous ones. I have been into British outline N since late 2018 but have very few coaches. Let me just say that my jaw was on the floor scrolling down the MK1 coaches that are going to be released!

Preorders duly placed, I hope these MK1s stick around for a few months after release as I can't afford to buy all the ones that I would like to in one go.

This has really reassured me that Bachmann/ GF are still interested in supporting N gauge.

Steven B

Quote from: Bob G on May 04, 2023, 04:59:10 PM
If they bring out their Mark 2Bs in N then I will sell my Bachmann Mark 2As - as the 2Bs were the staple of the Waterloo - Exeter route under Class 33 and Class 50 haulage.

No need to sell the MK2a - they were mixed rakes of Mk2a & Mk2b right from the time they were introduced. Accurascale have some formation diagrams on their website:
BR Blue
BR Sectorisation

How well any Accuascale Mk2b sits alongside a Farish Mk2a is open to debate!

Steven B

TRXsouth

374-740 Mk2F TSO 977985 Structure Gauging Train - Network Rail

The real 977985 features the black cylindrical Laserflex system unit fitted at the pictogram end of the coach, and above an extended coupling to the adjacent coach. The detailed Farish product description includes an 'Accessory pack' so is this going to provide an add-on fitting or moulding to portray the Laserflex unit?

The adjacent coach is also important as reference to the "Key Special - Testing Testing" bookazine notes that 977985 is normally linked to 977986 as the SGT Support Coach. I really hope that Farish intend to complete this pairing by adding 977986 to their next announcement. Its fully plated over windows would also provide N gauge with another distinctive Network Rail coach type.

Surely 977985 cannot be left by itself? Indeed, browsing the bookazine offers some NR options that Farish could still apply to their Mk2F TSO: Plain Line Pattern Recognition Coach or Radio Survey Coach - perhaps we may yet see them....

Newportnobby

I guess you just have to hope Farish are aware of the existence of 977986 and its importance :hmmm:

Hailstone

As a DC dinosaur who already has at least 2 of all the steam locos re-issued as sound ready and who upgraded all his Mk1 coaches when they first came out (a move that cost me about £12 a coach at the time, but has since paid dividends) with one exception, the only pre order that I have made was for two Walrus bogie hopper wagons in black.
I live in hope that the Thompson coaches will appear in maroon, but given that it took Farish several years to release the MK1 RU in chocolate and cream even after I had furnished them with the proof of its existence.
As a transition modeller I  would like to see a new tooling of perhaps the crab, rebuilt Merchant Navy or even the King as neither has been done (despite a couple of half hearted attempts on the latter) perhaps a reatively simple tool mod allowing them to produce a double chimneyed Castle and as for total new tooling how about a Lord Nelson or a King Arthur or perhaps an N2? any of these would be added to my collection.

Regards,

Alex

Roy L S

Rebuilt MN and King were both done as part of the Poole Farish range, the air smoothed MN has of course subsequently been done by Bachmann to modern standards so I very much doubt we will see either, especially given the DJM King debacle.

I am happy to see sound upgrades to more recent models with modern loco-drive mechanisms, and regardless of having several Ivatts already a sound fitted 46447 has been ordered and will be added to my roster.

I agree an N2 would be nice, but actually I would be much happier to see a newly tooled Black Five or V2 to modern spec with sound and I would think both, but the former especially would be a more viable choice.

Roy

martyn

I would have thought a B5 was unlikely, as the tender drive version is not that old, and is quite good.

I wouldn't want one of either, but isn't the Crab (and 4P) the only steam locos not updated from the Poole range? And i seem to recall that, many years ago, Bachmann said they would be updating the Poole range.

Again, I wouldn't want one, but the V2 is not good by modern standards.

Martyn

Newportnobby

I'm happy with my Black 5's............

but, although it holds the spirit of the loco, I'd like an update V2...........

A Hughes 'Crab' would be high on my list.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations