Stock database?

Started by kirky, December 17, 2011, 04:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Hmmm, do you work @ my place  :hmmm:

digger61

The best option would be MS access if you have it. I use this all the time In my job so if you wanted could create one for you

MikeDunn

Quote from: digger61 on September 03, 2013, 08:41:29 PM
best [...] MS access
Now there are a couple of words you don't see together very often  >:D

CarriageShed

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 03, 2013, 09:25:42 PM
Quote from: digger61 on September 03, 2013, 08:41:29 PM
best [...] MS access
Now there are a couple of words you don't see together very often  >:D

:smiley-laughing:

I've been avoiding it like the plague for years...

EtchedPixels

MS Access, how quaint.

It also assumes Windows, which seems a bit like short term planning right now!
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

CarriageShed

With apologies to Digger61, of course, who made a perfectly reasonable and helpful offer of assistance and is probably feeling a little miffed at all this laughter. You should be ashamed of yourselves.  ::) Sorry, Digger  :-[

MikeDunn

Without meaning any insult to Digger, my professional approach to Access (note : not hobbyist approach) is "dragged kicking and screaming" ... the number of times I have found a client group with an Access "app" they depend on and is totally unsupported by us  is without count - and of course when it goes wrong, it's all our fault that a) it broke, and b) we won't touch it with a barge-pole !  That's not to mention what happens when an Office upgrade comes along !

And why do they have such a mission-critical app in Access ?  Because the group won't pay for the work to be done properly (ie into a proper SQL database (not necessarily MS SQL  :no:), with proper security, access controls etc etc etc and that gets backed up securely) and "Fred over there knows how to do it & rattled it off in an evening free - you guys wanted lots of money and weeks !" - right ... he wrote it, he can support it !

As an initial development environment or for a small-scale item (such as is suggested here), yeah it's OK.  But not for live production in the types of organisations I find it in !

daveg

One of the guys here (I think) was developing quite a neat-looking database from the development posts he'd made but that seems to have gone quiet.

I'm have MS Orri-face 2003 and my lists are on several xls pages. Not clever but it keeps a (sort of) organised list. I don't really need anything more, well, not at this stage.

Access is OK for basic stuff but there again I am a simple soul. I remember 8" floppy drives and when you had to partition a 32MB HD. Ahh, those were the days!  :worried:

Dave G

CarriageShed

Quote from: daveg on September 04, 2013, 01:04:08 PM
One of the guys here (I think) was developing quite a neat-looking database from the development posts he'd made but that seems to have gone quiet.

Do you mean DCCDave's efforts, shown on the first page of this thread? I was wondering about that, too. It looked very impressive in the screenshots.

daveg

Quote from: Pete33 on September 04, 2013, 05:18:43 PM

Do you mean DCCDave's efforts, shown on the first page of this thread? I was wondering about that, too. It looked very impressive in the screenshots.

Yes! I was daft enough not to look back to the start.  :dunce:

Wonder if he'll pick up on the new posts?

Dave G

digger61

Quote from: daveg on September 04, 2013, 08:31:27 PM

Dave G

Wish I never bothered I'll just get my coat

DCCDave

Quote from: daveg on September 04, 2013, 08:31:27 PM

Dave G

Yep I'm still working on it - I did say it would take a while as I'm busy on  other things like earning a crust and building a model railway :)

I'm currently doing a lot of background (that is non-UI) development so not much to see right now.

Cheers
Dave

CarriageShed

Glad to know that it's still bubbling under, despite you getting all distracted with non-important stuff  ;)

linuxyeti

Hi All

Sorry it's been a while, work just got in the way. Hopefully have time now over christmas to finish the one I was working on.

Cheers

Tony

DCCDave

Guys and Gals,

Just an update to let you know I'm working on this again. I've done a lot of work on the back end, ensuring that multiple inventories can be held (my stock, my son's stock, my mate's etc.), and that all of the 'reference' data can be applied as software updates (so for example, when a new manufacturer like DJModels comes along I can issue an update with their product range).

I've started rouging out some of the UI, here are a couple of screen shots of the work in progress. The whole UI will be skin able so that you can use the colors of you favorite railway company.

Cheers
Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations