N Gauge Corridor Connectors

Started by Barry M, November 19, 2015, 07:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: Branchie on November 23, 2015, 09:14:50 PM
Not sure that recent discussions are fair to the OP and his venture.

I think you're doing Alan a disservice as all he has done is point out a feature of the newer MK1's many of us weren't aware of and, as such, I think it deserves to be in this thread rather than a new one started about it. Many, like me, have loads of MK1's without this feature or don't want to mess about with couplings so Barry's corridor connections seem the way to go. Providing the 'unsightly gap' is banished then each to their own.

mk1gtstu

Quote from: newportnobby on November 24, 2015, 10:11:05 AM
Quote from: Branchie on November 23, 2015, 09:14:50 PM
Not sure that recent discussions are fair to the OP and his venture.

I think you're doing Alan a disservice as all he has done is point out a feature of the newer MK1's many of us weren't aware of and, as such, I think it deserves to be in this thread rather than a new one started about it. Many, like me, have loads of MK1's without this feature or don't want to mess about with couplings so Barry's corridor connections seem the way to go. Providing the 'unsightly gap' is banished then each to their own.

Agreed!  :thumbsup:

cheers, Stu
My Box File Layout (South Wales Valleys Colliery) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=10430.0

Porthkerry (A South Wales layout in BR Blue) http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39654.0

Abercwm Colliery (South Wales Area) https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47521.0

silly moo

I'm one of those who would prefer to use corridor connections as opposed to changing couplings. Anything to do with couplings when I'm around seems to involve small copper springs flying around the room. I also have some older coaches which would be ideal for corridor connectors.

Barry M

Paul thank you. I'm glad you liked them.
I'm quite overwhelmed!
Congratulations are due to the brains behind the outfit - Mark Seward.
Building 'Bromsgrove' - a large N Gauge layout depicting the banking practices 1958-1964 on the Lickey. DCC and computer controlled with Railroad & Co!

Hyperion

That review has me sold. Happy to be your Australian distributor if you are looking for one  :D
DC or DCC, that is the question.

Bealman

Only Me's post is indeed a great testimonial.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

JonHarbour

Will definitely be interested in these. They look excellent!
Still planning a layout...

daveg

Await availability and price confirmation with great interest.

Current coach count = 89  :-[

Dave G

Newportnobby

Being picky, the only problem I had was where the corridor ends came as 2 unseparated parts but that's only because I have no nails to speak of ::)
Like Paul, I found my first attempt at slotting the 2 parts of the bellows together somewhat fiddly but then found the knack. I found the instructions useful as, being a numpty, I needed to know what was glued and what was tacky waxed. I used a coffee stirrer to apply the wax and Roket Glue for applying the ends to the bellows. My scoring would be the same as Pauls i.e. 2/10 for fiddliness and 10/10 for looks, although my pic shows I was a bit exuberant with the wax :doh:

Well done, Barry and Mark :claphappy:

Barry M

Quote from: newportnobby on November 25, 2015, 12:57:16 PM
Being picky, the only problem I had was where the corridor ends came as 2 unseparated parts but that's only because I have no nails to speak of ::)
Like Paul, I found my first attempt at slotting the 2 parts of the bellows together somewhat fiddly but then found the knack. I found the instructions useful as, being a numpty, I needed to know what was glued and what was tacky waxed. I used a coffee stirrer to apply the wax and Roket Glue for applying the ends to the bellows. My scoring would be the same as Pauls i.e. 2/10 for fiddliness and 10/10 for looks, although my pic shows I was a bit exuberant with the wax :

Well done, Barry and Mark :claphappy:

Thank you Mick. Have you checked running? ie curves/points etc?
Building 'Bromsgrove' - a large N Gauge layout depicting the banking practices 1958-1964 on the Lickey. DCC and computer controlled with Railroad & Co!

MikeDunn

Y'know, since seeing the images of these connectors, something has been bugging me in the back of my memory ... had a few minutes this lunchtime, and found why ... see http://britishmodelrailwayclubofmontreal.blogspot.ca/2011/07/coach-corridor-connections-and.html from 2011 ... it's also been covered in MRF (which is where I heard about this originally).

A shame the original attribution wasn't given ...

Barry M

Quote from: MikeDunn on November 25, 2015, 02:51:38 PM
Y'know, since seeing the images of these connectors, something has been bugging me in the back of my memory ... had a few minutes this lunchtime, and found why ... see http://britishmodelrailwayclubofmontreal.blogspot.ca/2011/07/coach-corridor-connections-and.html from 2011 ... it's also been covered in MRF (which is where I heard about this originally).

Well, not even seen that article!
Is it for N Gauge?
Looks completely different using different materials?
A rather aggressive post??

Barry M

Quote from: Barry M on November 25, 2015, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: MikeDunn on November 25, 2015, 02:51:38 PM

Well, not even seen that article!
Is it for N Gauge?
Looks completely different using different materials?
A rather aggressive post??

I assuming you are accusing us of stealing the idea??
Well they've been available in OO gauge for ever. Just not N gauge.
Very disappointed in your post.

keithfre

Dr Al

Quote from: Barry M on November 25, 2015, 03:21:31 PM
Well they've been available in OO gauge for ever. Just not N gauge.

This isn't true - they've been sold in the past on ebay - I even had some!

Nothing at all accusing, nor impuning your execution of them; but the concept as you recognise yourself, isn't original in either scale.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations