The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Q

Quote from: stevewalker on November 16, 2021, 10:36:57 AM
Quote from: class37025 on November 16, 2021, 10:25:51 AM
... the cretins don't think of where their debris will land, or what injury or damage it could do.

I remember being impressed, as a child, when one of our rockets fell back onto next-door's roof. It turned out that we'd done much better than that and they found it in the fireplace the next morning!

It does worry me how many places have plastic roofed conservatories nowadays.
My neighbour has more worries than that... at thatched roof...

Newportnobby

Had letter from BT a couple of days ago asking if I wanted Ultrafast broadband giving speeds of up to 25 times faster than my current package, which has a minimum guaranteed of 37MB/s.
Therefore 925 MB/s!! (Yeah - right ::))
Ran a speed measure this morning before I called to see what the extra cost is and I was getting just  23.7MB/s against my minimum of 37.
The young lady told me the extra cost would be £55 per month with minimum guaranteed speed of 150MB/s. I very politely told her where she could put that and requested the 'Speed' department.
The guy there said I was getting 66MB/s and sent me a link to check for myself.
What a shock - I was getting the 23.7MB/s I quoted above. :D
Upshot - engineer coming tomorrow afternoon to see whassup.
If it wasn't for BT Sport for the MotoGP and my current package not expiring until next year I'd almost certainly find another ISP >:(

stevewalker

Unless you were changing to Virgin, any other ISP is almost certainly (there are a very few, city centre exceptions) using the the same BT OpenReach lines.

Calnefoxile

Quote from: stevewalker on November 18, 2021, 01:40:20 PM
Unless you were changing to Virgin, any other ISP is almost certainly (there are a very few, city centre exceptions) using the the same BT OpenReach lines.

Steve,

Was just going to say the same thing, the 'last 1/2 mile' is still over BT installed copper wires from your nearest Green box, unless you're on a Cable product when it'll more than likely be Fibre to the house.

So when BT say 'Fibre Broadband' it's technically not quite true, yes the backbone and major trunks to their exchanges are Fibre, but as I said, the little bit from your house to the Green Box is still a twisted pair of copper wire owned by BT.

Cheers

Neal.

joe cassidy

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 16, 2021, 10:10:37 AM
Can someone inform the  :censored: living in this area that Firework night was 5th November and not something for the entire month? :veryangry2:

It seems the Russians got the date wrong too ?

guest311

the Russians celebrate Guy Fawkes ?

you sure it wasn't a failed missile launch  >:D

chrism

Quote from: Calnefoxile on November 18, 2021, 02:16:37 PM
So when BT say 'Fibre Broadband' it's technically not quite true, yes the backbone and major trunks to their exchanges are Fibre, but as I said, the little bit from your house to the Green Box is still a twisted pair of copper wire owned by BT.

Not always, BT have been offering Fibre To The Premises, where it's available, for years - the best part of ten years, if my memory's correct.

Areas where it is available are rapidly increasing and I understand that they have a plan in progress to eventually have full fibre everywhere and drop the copper network completely. Obviously, that's a huge undertaking so it'll take some time to achieve.

TrevL

Yep, the telegraph pole outside my house is equipped with fibre, but I can't justify the extra cost when I'm getting 59Mbps through a pair of twisted copper wires.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

emjaybee

We live, to all intents and purposes, in the middle of nowhere. Our telephone cables are on a pole outside, and we recently got full fibre right into the property.

For the same price as our old copper broadband.

Both with BT, btw.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

The Q

Our telephone comes from the nearest Node, about half a mile away.. it spends most of it's time travelling 6 inches to a foot deep under the verge, when the farmer cut a new entrance to a field he cut the cable.
Only when it reaches our group of 3 houses does it appear out of the ground go up a pole then to each house.
they are starting to change houses in the area to digital phones which means when the power fails no phone... and...
Mobiles rarely work here..

Chances of Fibre internet... Not a lot, the underground cable is too poor...

emjaybee

Quote from: The Q on November 19, 2021, 09:06:58 AM
Our telephone comes from the nearest Node, about half a mile away.. it spends most of it's time travelling 6 inches to a foot deep under the verge, when the farmer cut a new entrance to a field he cut the cable.
Only when it reaches our group of 3 houses does it appear out of the ground go up a pole then to each house.
they are starting to change houses in the area to digital phones which means when the power fails no phone... and...
Mobiles rarely work here..

Chances of Fibre internet... Not a lot, the underground cable is too poor...

We thought the same, but they laid fibre out to the poles down our road, don't forget the nationwide plan is to get everyone connected to high speed internet.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 18, 2021, 11:20:54 AM
Had letter from BT a couple of days ago asking if I wanted Ultrafast broadband giving speeds of up to 25 times faster than my current package, which has a minimum guaranteed of 37MB/s.
Therefore 925 MB/s!! (Yeah - right ::))
Ran a speed measure this morning before I called to see what the extra cost is and I was getting just  23.7MB/s against my minimum of 37.
The young lady told me the extra cost would be £55 per month with minimum guaranteed speed of 150MB/s. I very politely told her where she could put that and requested the 'Speed' department.
The guy there said I was getting 66MB/s and sent me a link to check for myself.
What a shock - I was getting the 23.7MB/s I quoted above. :D
Upshot - engineer coming tomorrow afternoon to see whassup.
If it wasn't for BT Sport for the MotoGP and my current package not expiring until next year I'd almost certainly find another ISP >:(

Just to finish the tale off the engineer has been, removed the filter the BT Halo 2 engineer fitted ( ::)), took all sorts of readings and basically told me the wireless card in my old laptop just cannot take the speed the router is putting out. Suggestions from him to buy a tablet or a new laptop were met with a raspberry from me as, at the end of the day, I'm happy with speed of all other sites but this one, and Tank is working on that

Railwaygun

If your lap&op has USB3 ( blue usually) so look at a USB GigaBit  Ethernet dongle?.

£11.99 Black Friday deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/uni-Ethernet-Compatible-Notebook-Windows7/dp/B087QFQW6F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?

USB 2 dongles as well( 100 MBS only)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

railsquid

That's what I so like about model railways... it's just a question of "here are two rails, make sure you send some DC voltage in the appropriate polarity", not "oh you have a 2011 controller with MRB (Model Railway Bus 1.0) and you want to run a 2016 train with MRB 2.1? You'll need to add a dongle which supports MRB 2.0 or later and upgrade your controller's OS and also your 2008 Universal Train Controller cable won't work with that, you'll need a High Fidelity Multiplexer Interface cable to actually connect it to the layout, but make sure it's made to the 2019 or later HFMI spec otherwise it may not work".

dannyboy

Quote from: railsquid on November 21, 2021, 03:35:25 PM
you'll need a High Fidelity Multiplexer Interface cable to actually connect it to the layout, but make sure it's made to the 2019 or later HFMI spec

Would two bits of thin wire and a choc-block do the same job?  ??? ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations