Some questions from Greenhorn

Started by Lawrence, January 31, 2012, 09:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Have moved these to here - please feel free to help Greenhorn out.

Been reading through some of the e-mails a high level of skill and knowledge.
I hope I could get answers to the following basic questions:
recommend a magazine to suit my level of knowledge
what type of track would be recommended
-------------of make of steam loco would you recommend,points,couplings,wheels? etc
I'm going to be a pest,Iwish you luck
appreciate any help I get :)
GH

Mustermark

I am mostly to be seen wandering about the house with the latest copy of Model Rail (which I get on subscription from Bauer Publishing), and the latest N'spirations magazine that can be obtained from "H" here on the N Gauge Forum.  My two favourite reads.  Occasionally also the N Gauge Society journal.

Having used Peco code 80 reasonably cheaply for my rather extensive layout, I might recommend Peco Code 55 if I was doing something on a smaller scale as it looks a bit more realistic and to scale.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Newportnobby

I would recommend the Peco 'how to......' series of leaflets. They helped me greatly when I was a beginner. My personal preference is Peco code 55 track using electrofrog points although the wiring is slightly more difficult. They work better with smaller locos such as 0-4-0's and 0-6-0's. If you don't go electrofrog and choose insulfrog, I would still recommend medium radius points as the smallest. As far as locos go, if you're not too worried about detailing I would suggest Union Mills. Farish steamers are all pretty much OK but not as detailed as Dapol, but I would suggest you look at some reviews on the forum. Opinions differ widely! Personally I wouldn't worry too much about couplings and wheels at this early stage as you will probably frighten yourself, but Dapol have just introduced magnetic uncoupling sets (again - see reviews on the forum).
I really would recommend checking out the relevant sections on the forum, and then come back with more questions. This is not a cheap hobby so you want to get it right first time :thumbsup:

Jack

I agree with Mustermark. Model Rail, but rather than a subscription, I go to a well know high street newsagent to see if it has anything n gauge before I buy. Having said that I normally buy it anyway, I like the way the layouts are presented, gives me ideas for my next one which will be some time yet.

I would suggest joining the N Gauge Society before you start laying track, even if its only for the first year. The hand book is an absolute gem! It helps with baseboards, track design, wiring, in fact everything you need to get you up an running, and much more (I'm actually  reading mine at the moment). I wish I had joined before I laid track, the trouble I could I've saved myself if I'd had the handbook. I've only had the one journal from the NGS but  I notice some family names from :NGaugeForum: and looking forward to the next issue.

Track choice will have different opinions, I went for Peco code 80 because I didn't have the confidence at the time in getting my main curve right with flexitrack so I used the settrack curves with streamline points and flexitrack for the long straights

The steam boys can tell you all about "best" models, I prefer diesels   ;D

Jack

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

painbrook

GH,if your keen on N gauge then seriously think about joining the NGS http://ngaugesociety.com/,that's are best magazine, everyone on this forum will have a second magazine, mine has always been the Railway modeller, reason being, it nearly always has articals for N gauge, more so than Model Rail, things may have changed since I bought one. Biased yes, because I also model 009 narrow gauge, which(assuming you don't know) is the same track has N but the scale is OO. Build a nice oval of track using Peco 'set track' and then think about where and when in time you want to be before throwing your hard earned cash about. Anyway having stared up the best mag bit I,m going down to my bunker before the flak starts ;D, Cheers john.

EddieA

Hi

Definitely recommend the N Gauge Society.

Also I buy Railway Modeller every month, probably more a nostalgia  thing as I was brought up on it when my father bought it in the 60's and, as a young child, the pictures were magic to my eyes!

However, I would suggest browsing all the model rail mags on offer at the likes of W H Smith etc as there can be articles which might make it worthwhile buying a particular issue. Even if the article isn't specifically N Gauge it might provide inspiration.

I have even  been known to buy MRJ although, to the best of my knowledge, they have never featured an N Gauge layout(?).   
"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

greenhorn

Hi EddieA
Thanks for your help,it helps to have somethig congcrete to work with :D,
there is a lot of information out there to digest,that you just become more confused
Cheers Don

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations