Dapol Mk3 twin packs

Started by pape_timmo, February 13, 2013, 09:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pape_timmo

Hi folks, today I received the twin packs of add-on coaches for the Pretendolino, and Wrexham & Swapshop sets. I'm really happy with them, but noticed the corridor connection doors are painted yellow, whereas the previous booklets and additionals were painted an off-white.

I know it's not a big issue, you don't see them much when it's coupled together, just a surprise I suppose.

I think I need a couple more vehicles for the Pretendolino too, I've got 4 SO's (labelled A B C and D), buffet (labelled K), 3 FOs (labelled G H and J) and the DVT. Knowing the way the coaches are labelled on Voyagers, what am I missing please?

Cheers, Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Ollie3440

The Pretendolino was pretty much always a 9 coach + DVT Rake. The last time i saw it i noted them in the following order:
DVT 82126
FO 11048
FO 11018
FO 11007
BUFFET 10212
SO 12138
SO 12122
SO 12133
SO 12078
SO 12011

So the missing coach is SO 12138 (Coach E)

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

pape_timmo

That's great, thanks Ollie, I'll have to try pick up an SO from somewhere, and try renumbering it.

Much appreciated.

My YouTube channel

voltan

Quote from: Ollie3440 on February 13, 2013, 10:09:04 PM
So the missing coach is SO 12138 (Coach E)

That's probably the coach I've got reserved seats for, they always manage to lose that one. ;)

alibuchan

If I remember correctly, the coach E is a modified coach with wider doors for disabled access. Which is why Dapol haven't done it.

Alistair

pape_timmo

Quote from: alibuchan on February 14, 2013, 06:03:29 PM
If I remember correctly, the coach E is a modified coach with wider doors for disabled access. Which is why Dapol haven't done it.

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, I don't think it'll show really if the doors aren't changed, not in N...

Cheers, Timmo

My YouTube channel

ahodgett

Not sure whether I should have started a new topic or not, but I see Dapol have nearly cleared their remaining stock of these twin packs, about 3 left when I last viewed. This probably means there are at least 250 folks who have an incomplete set. This means coach E, 12138 which seems to be a standard second class coach not the one with disabled doors after all. It's difficult to tell from photos if any had a larger disabled door. Coach D, 12122 has the disabled notice just below the toilet window, but doors appear normal.  What I'm wondering is would Dapol do a  special run as a special commission if they were asked? Would there be the demand I wonder? I was thinking of asking them and doing it as a non profit thing maybe via kickstarter, but what is the opinion as to the level of demand, I wonder?

Regards
Arthur Hodgett 

scruff

as far as I know, all Mk3 coaches had yellow gangway doors'
cheers
mark

ahodgett

The Dapol Mk 3's were an ambitious move for Dapol, (I think I have nearly all the Dapol Mk3 coaches) but there sadly were a host of detailed mistakes. I think the first strategic mistake was to have a tool for the locos that allowed lots of variants, but they did not do the same for the coaches hence they are now on their 3rd or 4th mould set.
Faults in the Pretendolino AFAIK are non matching roofs on the twin pack compared to the ther coaches, disabled toilet label where they don't exist on the original, missing vent? above one of the toilet windows, extart socket fitting beside one of the doors, white interconnecting doors. Others may have noticed more, but on the whole not too bad and some easily fettled.
The Pretendolino from Dapol has white doors on all the coaches except the twin pack which has yellow doors, but only coach A would be seen when coupled up together.  A good compromise from a distance is two coach 'C' one of them pretending to be coach E, but I was wondering how many would be interested in a crowd funding project to ask Dapol to produce this last coach E as a copy of C with just a few tweaks, like yellow doors, correct number and coach letter.
Regards
Arthur 

EtchedPixels

Have you considered asking Railtec or Precision Decals if they could produce a correcting decal set. You might need two decals over each other (solid white, coloured) for the doors but it ought to be doable and probably cheaper.

You also wouldn't have to wait so long. The kickstarter isn't a bad idea though. I would have thought it would be a lot easier than a "custom livery" and they do those for model shops.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

robert shrives

Hi I have found Steve at Railtec really good - when asking get some white blanking transfer to help "blot" out the wrong letter.
I had asked about coach E at Dapol a while back can re ask min order run ??? so how many folk want a matching exsisting runs coach please.

Robert   

ahodgett

Hi Robert
I was thinking once Dapol have the TGS sorted, they must be thinking about more Mk3's, although there is nothing preorderable AFAIK for the TGS's, nothing anounced other than they will be after the CNY.
To do a run of say 100 coach E's and even sell them themselves would involve very little effort. They themselves could even take pre-order deposits, or we could mention it to Revolution trains. Dapol have the specification and only a very few amendments are needed. To me there is a bit of doing the right thing, how many people forked out for a pretendolino and haven't got one, it must have left a sour taste in a few mouths.
Getting decals would sort it for me, as I have an extra C coach, but that option is not available to all. I was just hoping that selling nearly all of their stock of this twin pack, may encourage them to complete the set.
Regards
Arthur

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations