LATEST FORMULA 1 NEWS..............

Started by Newportnobby, June 30, 2020, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Quote from: dannyboy on December 07, 2020, 11:34:40 AM
@chrism
I have to wonder just what Hamilton would have been able to do without the Mercedes.

Hamilton's won at least one Grand Prix in every year he's been in F1, even when he was still at McLaren when their car was far from the best or the first year at Mercedes when they were still trying to develop the car.
One major reason the Mercedes is so dominant is because Lewis has been helping develop it.

I think George Russell's definitely made a case for Mercedes buying him out of his Williams contract for next year and paying Bottas to take a sabbatical. They'd be a bit daft to have shown everyone just how good he is and leave him at another team for a year only to be poached by Ferrari.

Newportnobby

Despite being no fan of Lewis (I think he's a prima donna) I have no doubt he's the best. You don't win 7 world championships and have the most ever race wins just because of the car. A good car helps, of course, and there's no doubt the Mercedes is the best of the field at the moment and has been for maybe 4 years.

njee20

Quote from: zwilnik on December 07, 2020, 12:44:12 PM
@chrism
I have to wonder just what Hamilton would have been able to do without the Mercedes.
I think George Russell's definitely made a case for Mercedes buying him out of his Williams contract for next year and paying Bottas to take a sabbatical. They'd be a bit daft to have shown everyone just how good he is and leave him at another team for a year only to be poached by Ferrari.

Poaching is a two-way thing - Russell would have to want to go to Ferrari, it's not like they can now swoop in and unilaterally remove his chance of a 2022 Merc drive.

It was an enthralling race, I felt alternately for Perez, Verstappen and Russell! It's hard to see Merc extending Bottas in lieu of Russell for 2022, but I'm not so sure they'll be rushing to buy him out. Bottas is a solid second in the drivers' championship and on his day can match Hamilton over a quali lap, if not a full race.

zwilnik

Quote from: njee20 on December 07, 2020, 06:30:41 PM

Poaching is a two-way thing - Russell would have to want to go to Ferrari, it's not like they can now swoop in and unilaterally remove his chance of a 2022 Merc drive.

It was an enthralling race, I felt alternately for Perez, Verstappen and Russell! It's hard to see Merc extending Bottas in lieu of Russell for 2022, but I'm not so sure they'll be rushing to buy him out. Bottas is a solid second in the drivers' championship and on his day can match Hamilton over a quali lap, if not a full race.

Absolutely. There's also the thought of just how badly it could impact Russell if he's stuck at Williams for another pointless year knowing he could be winning races and what the mental state of Bottas will be like next year, knowing he's probably going to be looking for a new seat for 2022 unless Lewis gets bored of winning.

Skyline2uk

I can't bring myself to watch the highlights, it sounds horrible for George.

Nothing against Perez and if somebody else had to win then good for him, but George had it taken from him, TWICE, in what would have been a victory on his first ever points finish. He got the fastest lap as well, whilst being beaten up by a car he didn't fit in and embarrassing Botas.

Then of course there is the toxic "fans" on social media crowing about how it's proof the car won this championship not Hamilton and that Merc destroyed George's race on purpose  :censored:

Cos that makes sense! Yeah let's loose another win, sabotage one of our rising star juniors and nacker our No.2 drivers race at the same time.

Honestly it is a breath of fresh air coming on here and seeing level heads talk about F1.

Hamilton has his faults but to suggest he isn't talented is childish and I genuinely believe lots of people who say so are masking something else. In some cases very unsavoury.

The data would suggest he would have been on pole this weekend and decimated Botas. Again.

What I want to see is George in the other car next to Hammo for Lewis's last season to do a decent handover. Merc could then continue their dominance (unless the Prancing Pony turns back into a horse or The Red Bull designs a car two drivers can be fast in).

Skyline2uk

Nbodger

... I have to wonder just what Hamilton would have been able to do without the Mercedes.

Turn the question round how good would Mercedes have been without Hamilton, very good drivers help develop the car, as did Schumacher before Hamilton

With regards Russel, remember who supplies engines to Williams, similar situation when Bottas was poached from Williams

Mike H  8)

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Nbodger on December 07, 2020, 08:34:59 PM

... I have to wonder just what Hamilton would have been able to do without the Mercedes.

Turn the question round how good would Mercedes have been without Hamilton, very good drivers help develop the car, as did Schumacher before Hamilton

With regards Russel, remember who supplies engines to Williams, similar situation when Bottas was poached from Williams

Mike H  8)

With you on the first point, less so on the second.

Bottas came in following the departure of "Phew I managed to nick a championship now let's scarper" Rosberg (also ex Williams btw) and I don't think it's a coincidence Wolf choose the other end of the spectrum in VB.

What if Ferrari or Red Bull had been closer to Merc in 2016? If Hamilton and Rosberg taking points of each other had cost a Constructors crown it would have been very bad.

No, he drafted in a natural number 2 and the fate of the next three years was sealed.

Skyline2uk

Nbodger

Quote from: Skyline2uk on December 07, 2020, 08:50:43 PM
With you on the first point, less so on the second.

Bottas came in following the departure of "Phew I managed to nick a championship now let's scarper" Rosberg (also ex Williams btw) and I don't think it's a coincidence Wolf choose the other end of the spectrum in VB.

What if Ferrari or Red Bull had been closer to Merc in 2016? If Hamilton and Rosberg taking points of each other had cost a Constructors crown it would have been very bad.

No, he drafted in a natural number 2 and the fate of the next three years was sealed.

Skyline2uk

The point I was trying to make was that Bottas was under contract at Williams when Merc were "desperate" to find a replacement very late in the day after Rosberg quit. Merc are the engine suppliers so there was potential leverage. The situation with Williams is still the same today, should they wish to put pressure on Williams to peruse Russel

Mike H  8)

chrism

Quote from: Skyline2uk on December 07, 2020, 08:22:31 PM
Hamilton has his faults but to suggest he isn't talented is childish

It's also ridiculous. Someone who isn't talented wouldn't have come 2nd in the WDC (including beating Fernando Alonso, the reigning champion) in his first season, wouldn't have failed to win it solely because the team left him out too long in China, wouldn't have won the WDC in his second year and wouldn't have subsequently have totted up umpteen records in the process of making it 7 WDC wins - and counting.

Yes, he can be somewhat full of himself at times which can turn people off someone but he is most definitely talented in his number one job.

red_death

Isn't Russell already under contract to Mercedes as part of their driver programme anyway? My understanding (could be wrong!) was that Williams have him on loan until the end of next season.

I suspect that if Mercedes want Russell back then there might not be much Williams can do.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: red_death on December 07, 2020, 09:26:29 PM
Isn't Russell already under contract to Mercedes as part of their driver programme anyway? My understanding (could be wrong!) was that Williams have him on loan until the end of next season.

I suspect that if Mercedes want Russell back then there might not be much Williams can do.

Pretty much the case Mike, but not so much "on loan" on Williams part, more just "being matured by".

Sad to say the once mighty Williams (who will always by my favourite team) have now been reduced to not-even "B" team status now. Most of the grid have contracts with each other (Alpha T are the only ones officially a junior team to another though).

Hass even buy entire rear suspension set ups from Ferrari, in addition to engines.

The days of the independently owned team are behind us now sadly.

Skyline2uk

Mr Sprue

What rekindled my interest to watch F1 again is the young blood now driving in the sport, it really needed this injection.

Another factor the cameras are not focusing on the man in front all the time, its really great that they now show more of the midfield battles taking place, the coverage on the race action this season has been brilliant.

Alex Albon, Lando Norris, Charles Leclerc & George Russel look to be the stars of tomorrow and are already showing the more experienced drivers they are not to be underestimated. Apparently they are good pals off track also. Lando showed this when he moved out of Georges way yesterday as he battled his way through the field to pick up his first points yesterday.   

themadhippy

what would make it more fun is on the last race of the season, race under banger racing rules,last man standing.The cars are going to be changed next year anyway.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Mr Sprue

Quote from: themadhippy on December 07, 2020, 10:41:15 PM
what would make it more fun is on the last race of the season, race under banger racing rules,last man standing.The cars are going to be changed next year anyway.

I just pray they keep their carbon footprint going and carry on burning gallons of fossil fuel.

It will be a sad day when all that we will hear is the high pitched whine of supercharged milk float motors when they eventually replace the internal combustion engine!  :(

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Mr Sprue on December 07, 2020, 10:58:44 PM
Quote from: themadhippy on December 07, 2020, 10:41:15 PM

I just pray they keep their carbon footprint going and carry on burning gallons of fossil fuel.

It will be a sad day when all that we will hear is the high pitched whine of supercharged milk float motors when they eventually replace the internal combustion engine!  :(

They might get John at YouChoos to do some sound chips for them  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations