Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?

Started by Rabbitaway, March 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Wonderful sight and sounds. :thumbsup:

I thought I was choking from the smoke during the final scenes, but it was just the bit of chocolate I was eating. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

railsquid

Quote from: emjaybee on November 13, 2018, 04:08:40 PM
Quote from: Train Waiting on November 13, 2018, 03:39:06 PM
Quote from: railsquid on November 13, 2018, 11:15:51 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on November 13, 2018, 09:50:05 AM
Quote from: railsquid on November 13, 2018, 12:10:05 AM
Quote from: Newportnobby on November 12, 2018, 10:13:50 PM
Add to the above list the class 22 and 27 with the 59's due we know not when. Maybe still possible to pick up a 17, 26 and 44 from Fleabay

Shurely you mean a 14? The nearest thing to a 17 in actual purchasable state is Lima's faux rendering of a DB V100.

Quite right, Have amended my post, but please don't call me Shirley.

Now there's a thought, Shirley - every new N gauge modeller should be issued with a genuine Lima locomotive which they are encourage to take out and run prod into jerky life every time they get frustrated with contemporary offerings.

What a splendid idea!  May I please have a Nickel Plate Road 'Berkshire' 2-8-4?  And somewhere nice to put her as I fear she won't fit my local Waverley Route loading gauge.  Genuine Lima 'Superpower' at its best, in my view.

Hospital, Doctor; what is it?

You want it?

You got it!

https://youtu.be/qVH7ZUbowMU

:D

Slightly more representative for the context of this thread (which maybe should be renamed "Are we over the Golden Age of British N Gauge") :D

(and just because it was there)

emjaybee

I'm not sure what's creepier, the loco's, or the fact that there doesn't appear to be anyone in the room to control them!!!!

:-X
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

daffy

N Gauge train drivers found to be suffering from bi-directional whiplash following troublesome test runs! :o
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Any time I see a Lima "N gauge" model I'm glad I wasn't modelling N at the time!

emjaybee

Quote from: njee20 on November 14, 2018, 09:40:07 AM
Any time I see a Lima "N gauge" model I'm glad I wasn't modelling N at the time!

I didn't even know Lima had done N gauge. My first loco was a GraFar 08 in black.

Were the Lima locos really that bad?

???
Brookline build thread:

njee20

I'm just glad fidelity has improved somewhat from here:

That certainly wasn't the golden era!

Bealman

All Lima N stuff was questionable.

However, because of their awfulness, they have now become collector's items, with a generous smattering of nostalgia.

Some N gauge modellers delight in bringing them back to life or keeping them going, some of which are members of this forum.

(Mentioning no names, or at least in Japanese)  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Yep, aware of their "retro" credentials, and wouldn't cast aspersions on anyone who is drawn in by the charm. But they're not detailed, high quality models compared to what we have now, which was purely my point.

emjaybee

Yup, everyone loves an underdog, even one as butt ugly, unreliable, oversized, misshapen, and hideous as that.

:smiley-laughing:
Brookline build thread:

Steven B

Most of the Lima range was very poor, however, the Siphon and Mk1 CCT were very good for their age. The Lime brake van is a good match for Tomix's Thomas range.

Bealman

Considering when these things came out, the detailing isn't that bad.

It's the scale that is all wrong!

Epilogue....

I like the deeply recessed windows on the locos, but could never stand it on the coaches... Lima's or Minitrix.

I always was a bit weird  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

A new player entering the market is presumably not a sign of decline: N LMS Beyer Garratt (announcement on the "other side")

Bingley Hall

Quote from: railsquid on November 19, 2018, 12:49:57 PM
A new player entering the market is presumably not a sign of decline: N LMS Beyer Garratt (announcement on the "other side")
I think we're getting close to Nirvana with this announcement  :D

njee20

Yeah this is great news - Hatton's have been increasingly bold with their new models; their OO gauge 66 coming with a large number of variants off the bat is exciting, and I really hope the Beyer Garratt is successful. £200 is quite a bit though, particularly as there's not going to be any discounting.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations