N Gauge UK

Started by Tank, January 06, 2022, 09:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

Hi Ross, I would certainly be interested in an easy to assemble tender drive kit. In my case to power smaller LNER types. I would not personally be interested in a super detailed City of Truro.

Edit: DCC friendly would be fine for me, I would not need a DCC socket, if I am soldering in one of those I may just as well save space and hardwire a chip. The option of a separate removable weight section to provide space for a speaker may also be worth considering, I would see traction tyres as an important consideration.

Regards

Roy

Dorsetmike

Good news Ross; height is a consideration for me as is ease of adding a 4th axle, as the Southern did not have any water troughs, 8 wheel tenders were common from Drummond, Urie and Maunsell.
Another consideration would be to fit into available white metal kits, for example the Langley S15 kit is designed to fit a Fleischmann 8 wheel chassis, these are not cheap (new motor £40+)  and becoming rare on Ebay.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

RBTKraisee

Thanks for the feedback guys.

If anyone else is interested in a new replacement for a Union Mills-style tender-driven product, please let me know by PM.

I shall now return Tank's thread to him!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Offramper

I regularly use The Model Centre (TMC) and have been happy with the service.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/rail/n-gauge

steve-ng

Quote from: Offramper on July 05, 2023, 02:17:38 PMI regularly use The Model Centre (TMC) and have been happy with the service.

https://www.themodelcentre.com/rail/n-gauge

Agree....have purchased from them several times, always excellent service.

martyn

Quote from: RBTKraisee on June 06, 2023, 05:09:51 PMThanks for the feedback guys.

If anyone else is interested in a new replacement for a Union Mills-style tender-driven product, please let me know by PM.

What Roy said, please, Ross.

But probably only one or two.

Martyn

Ross.

RBTKraisee

Quote from: martyn on November 17, 2023, 06:28:38 PM
Quote from: RBTKraisee on June 06, 2023, 05:09:51 PMThanks for the feedback guys.

Martyn

Ross.

???

Martyn?

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

martyn

Quote from: RBTKraisee on November 17, 2023, 08:53:57 PM
Quote from: martyn on November 17, 2023, 06:28:38 PM

Martyn

Ross.

???

Martyn?

Ross.

Sorry for the confusion. I misquoted Roy L S previous post #45.

I would be interested, as he was, in one or two group standard LNER tender drives.

I don't think the 3500 gallon version has ever been produced RTR, only in a couple of kits. Just changing tenders would open up more renumbering of RTR Locos, eg the LNER J39 class.

I might also be interested in a GCR tender to suit the O4 class.

Hope that makes it clearer and also details it a bit.

Martyn

RBTKraisee

Quote from: martyn on November 17, 2023, 09:09:54 PMSorry for the confusion. I misquoted Roy L S previous post #45.

I would be interested, as he was, in one or two group standard LNER tender drives.

I don't think the 3500 gallon version has ever been produced RTR, only in a couple of kits. Just changing tenders would open up more renumbering of RTR Locos, eg the LNER J39 class.

I might also be interested in a GCR tender to suit the O4 class.

Hope that makes it clearer and also details it a bit.

Martyn

I've been giving this idea quite a bit of thought recently and once I've got a number of other projects out of the way (Coronation Scot loco & coaches and the Consett wagons before Xmas, followed by the N15 King Arthur loco, a specific commission job I'm doing for someone, and maybe Sleeper/Restaurant coaches and post office coaches too) this heavy, high power, good traction tender idea will be next up.

I think I've already solved the high performance motor, excellent traction and fitting the optional DCC control aspects. The biggest remaining difficulty is getting the weight up as much as possible (to aid traction) with a fundamentally 3D printed design.

I'm considering various weight options, but I'll need time to experiment before selecting a final solution, and the other projects above, just come first.

You mention the LNER Standard 3500 gallon tender, but are you also interested in the 4200 gal too?

But this thread is Tank's and I don't want to hijack it.

Ross.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations