Vote for your most wanted locos in the NGF Survey

Started by Newportnobby, May 09, 2012, 08:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandvika

Quote from: H on June 06, 2012, 07:28:42 AM
Quote from: PaulCheffus on June 03, 2012, 01:26:12 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on May 20, 2012, 10:00:46 PM

I know it is a wish-list but there is voting for some very obscure stuff that will never be considered mainstream by Dapol/Farish. It would help our cause if this was taken into consideration when casting your votes

Sorry but some of the obscure stuff is what I would like and therefore would vote for. If you are not interested in a true picture why bother?

Yep, I agree with Paul.

It's a wish/wants list so why consider and rule some out?

H.

I agree. Every vote cast should be disclosed.

I voted era <4 for all 6 votes, because that's what I model. The steam/diesel/electric/DMU/EMU category 3 vote limit meant I had to use 3 votes for obscure classes. It means they'll probably have got just my 1 vote each, whereas a 3 votes limit per era approach would have allowed me a wider choice. Thus, it's not even a wish list for me, it's what I'd like most within the allowed constraints.

Unless there is a completely free choice, the voting system will skew the results, so we should expect to see skewed results.

If someone models only 1970s/80s western region BR then they will probably have voted for 3 diesels and 3 DMUs, because it wasn't electrified at all then, and will probably have been reasonably content with their ability to choose. If someone models pre-grouping era 2, they'd struggle to use their 6 votes and would probably not be particularly content with their ability to choose.

Dapol and Bachmann should receive the full results and the voting rules that generated the results. Then they can apply their commercial knowledge of what actually sells to the results and make a judgment. Anything short of total transparency is likely to be ignored.

AndyGif

The more esoteric items will just have to be left for the likes of the N Gauge society or magazines/shops to commission.
I doubt we'd have inspection saloons and snow ploughs without the society and not to mention all the rail test/technical department liviered  stuff from model zone.
Its probably best to send the manufactures our top 5's and then publish  the complete list on here so we all can see what wad voted for this year.

EtchedPixels

Actually we've had RTR snowploughs for small manufacturers for some time (not necessarily brilliant ones and certainly not a patch on the NGS one).

Departmental stuff sells, big time. Network Rail stuff sells. Bachmann are doing Network Rail test train stuff and locos now too.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations