Australian Wild Fires

Started by Bob Tidbury, December 19, 2019, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

Most of my mums family are in SA but three serving with the RAAF are currently based in and around NSW, none have been directly affected by the fires.

In 1983 Mount Lofty burnt in the Ash Wednesday fire. We went out in 96 and it was still a derelict fire burnt mess. Some of the luxurious homes have since been rebuilt but many were left destroyed.

1billion animals is the current estimate as to wildlife impact but damn sure it will be more.

A tragic waste that's for sure!!!!

zwilnik

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 06, 2020, 12:03:03 PM
Countries like France, Spain and Portugal must surely have Canadairs available sitting around doing nothing until next summer ?
The problem is that's a *lot* of miles to put on them just to get them to Australia and back, let alone the milage they'd have to do there. I know Spain's pretty much a fire risk from early Spring, so this is probably the only real time they get to properly overhaul them before the next fire season.
Funds to convert heavy lift helicopters and skilled crews for them may be more practical.

Bealman

Welcome bit of rain at Bealman's bus stop tonight.

However, fire engine just shot past with lights and sirens going. Not sure what that means!

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platy767

Quote from: Bealman on January 09, 2020, 09:23:38 AM

However, fire engine just shot past with lights and sirens going. Not sure what that means!

...a siren used to mean they were late for afternoon or morning tea (as a joke), but in these days we are experiencing, it's important we don't joke about it.

It's been great to have some respite from the temperature for the past few days (Saturday was the hottest day I have experienced in my life), but tomorrow is another bad day for the fires on the east coast with hot temps and strong winds.

Mark

RailGooner

Platy767

Graham

bad smoke haze for the last few days, now we are getting a decent downpour, 4mm in the last 30mins. Hopefully this makes it to firegrounds and helps put them out. Just heard the 2 big ones from VIC and NSW have merged, not looking good unless this rain gets there.

Bealman

Woke up at 6am this morning to a very welcome sound: rain on the roof! More to come today and tomorrow, we're told.  :thumbsup:

Bealman

Raining big time now at the bowlo!

(Sorry about the motherships hovering overhead)

Webbo

You're very lucky George

Big promises for rain today for us, but not very much. Our trees and shrubs are dying from lack of water.

Webbo

Bealman

Mate, it's got to come. Cross fingers!  :thumbsup:

NinOz

Quote from: Webbo on January 16, 2020, 07:09:56 AM
Our trees and shrubs are dying from lack of water.
My chainsaw is going to be very busy and subsequent days of burning once the fire danger drops to low with low wind speed.  Lots of dead stuff in garden and side paddock. :(
With fire bans no use of chainsaws, grinders and brush cutters were allowed.
Got two large dead gum trees, dropping large branches, near to the house which are going to require professionals to cut safely. ($$$)
Rained last couple of days. :)
A busted water pipe due to earth movement, leaking for a while before noticed and found.  Going to cost a fair amount in water charges not considering the cost of the plumber and earth mover needed to repair. :(
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

Things pretty much back to normal at Chez Bealman today.

Platy767

A lovely day out my way too. A round of golf in the AM before the mercury touched 33C. Expecting 41C on Thursday.

Mark

Webbo

Not so good for us here in Canberra yesterday though a beautiful clear and warm day here today. Storm with hail stones as big as golf balls has dented cars, broken windows on houses and cars, defoliated trees. Huge amount of damage.

In the first picture some of those hail stones are as big as golf balls.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations