Australian Wild Fires

Started by Bob Tidbury, December 19, 2019, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

Just been watching the news  and thinking of our Australian members .
I hope no one on here  or none of their friends or relations  have been affected by the devistation caused  and I hope the firefighters that have been hurt make a speedy recovery .
Bob Tidbury

Stuart Down Under

This map might help people understand the scale of this year's fires. Sydney is now almost encircled by the firegrounds.

http://google.org/crisismap/australia

The information displayed differs from state to state, as it is provided by each fire authority. The NSW map is most alarming as it shows the area that has been burnt out already.

Heatwave running through SA and Victoria today and NSW tomorrow.

Bealman

This was the view from the front door of Chez Bealman yesterday morning.

Temperature peaked at 43 degrees. Fires at Bargo half an hour away claimed homes and two firefighters are induced comas for burns.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

stephen lewis

This is a terrible situation. Best wishes to all concerned.
Steve

Bealman

A burning tree fell on a fire truck, killing two volunteer firefighters at the location not far from us.

Tragic, they both had young children.

Graham

47deg here yesterday, it was hard to breath with all the smoke coming down from the country. Fortunately Melbourne got the cool change just after 10pm and we are lucky to have a clear day now, only 24deg.

Our thoughts are with all those being affected.

Platy767

Tragedy follows tragedy. Need to put the fires out, and I doubt it can be done from the ground. Every aerial appliance around the world that is available should be obtained and deployed against these fires - and they are across the continent - a huge area. We need to move on from the "let it burn until we can control it" and do more against this crisis, instead of the "Crisis? What crisis"! Sorry, but I'm both saddened and very, very angry that it has developed into this. I hope there is no further loss of professional or volunteer firefighters, or public lives (or flora and fauna) and I acknowledge the tremendous and selfless efforts the firefighters are giving.

Mark, North West Sydney, near the bush, but not in the bush.

RailGooner

Volunteer firefighters = Extraordinary heroes. :heart:

Webbo

About a week ago, our prime minister Scott Morrison went on holiday in Hawaii with his family while Australia burned and the volunteer firefighters risked their lives. The outcry that erupted has humiliated him into returning a couple of days early. In honour of ScoMos holiday, a shirt manufacturer in Melbourne has come out with a special flame coloured Hawaiian shirt with ScoMos face inside hibiscus flowers printed all over it. Proceeds are going to the firefighters. I ordered one as soon as I heard about it.

Canberra has escaped the fires so far this time. We had 500 houses burn down in an afternoon in 2003. But, for the past week we've been covered by a smoky haze from a fire not very far away which has caused cricket matches to be cancelled and health warnings to be issued. What's happening in Australia right now truly is horrific. Worsening bushfires is one of the changes predicted by scientists to be a consequence of global warming.

Webbo

TrevL

According to the Beeb, there's "not much left" of Balmoral.  By my reckoning, that's only about 20 km as the crow flys from George, hope he and his are ok.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bealman

Yes, the place is pretty much gutted. Not good.

Thanks also for the concern, however there is a steep escarpment between Balmoral and us, so we have not been in danger here, although the smoke has been very thick.  :thumbsup:

Stuart Down Under

It should be relatively safe until the next run of hot days - due next weekend. The firefighters are preparing by back-burning to create fire breaks. The problem has been that embers from fires can be carried by the wind to start new fires. I think the figure this morning was that there are around 200 fires burning in Australia. Most are out of control, but almost non are threatening property today. We are all wondering what it will be like when we get to the hot part of summer - January and February!

Bealman

Yet another smokey night at Chez Bealman

Webbo

Here's the view from across the valley from atop the hill right behind us. The smoke has been with us every day for the past 10 days and will be for at least the next week. Makes for some interesting lighting conditions even in the middle of the day and especially at sunrise and sunset. The worst part for me is that the smoke signals that the flora, fauna, and people's houses are burning not very far away.

webbo

Bealman

Yeah, our view this Christmas Eve morning is very similar. I'm told there is a fire on top of the escarpment.

Showers forecast for Wollongong, but so far ziltch.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations