Steam loco ideas please

Started by bbdave, December 14, 2011, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbdave

I have 3 Dapol brown and cream collet coaches bought for me and would like a steam loco to pull them a era and region doesn't matter what do you guys recomend or suggest?

Dave

4x2

Peco collet in BR livery - Expensive, but it's the right region and era, also probably the most reliable  n gauge steamer in that catagory.  :thumbsup:

If region etc isn't a problem then anything union mills !
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Newportnobby

Hi dave,

That purely depends on your budget. The Peco Collett 22xx would look great but is expensive and becoming difficult to find.
Failing that, a Dapol or Farish 2-6-2- tank would be good.
Check out the 'for sale'section as I think Matt B had one for sales for about £25

bbdave

Thanks that's one i hadn't considered maybe an after Christmas purchase but normaly if it's hard to get they are gone when i am in a position to buy

Dave

EtchedPixels

Dapol 45xx is a nice loco if you can get one that doesn't fall apart and would fit branch line traffic (although the Collett corridor stock is more mainlineish). Farish tank is the larger brother of the Dapol one but a much cruder older model but much more reliable. The pannier tanks are also old models but cheap and fairly indestructible.

BR didn't entirely re-divide the routes along company lines so there are some other non GWR possibilities in some locations too.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

BernardTPM

Ixion Manor? Dapol Hall? Both would be suitable, though I have no experience of how well they work. Despite its age, the old Farish Large Prairie is reasonably accurate in outline and with the latest fine blackened wheels and printing, bulls up well. Hardly state-of-the-art but worthy, unlike, say, their old A3.

brbluewill

Quote from: newportnobby on December 14, 2011, 08:53:34 PM
Hi dave,

That purely depends on your budget. The Peco Collett 22xx would look great but is expensive and becoming difficult to find.
Check out the 'for sale'section as I think Matt B had one for sales for about £25

tell me about it i have been trying for the past couple of weeks to get my hands on the peco collett with no success :thumbsdown: definately don't believe in santa now ;D ;D ;D
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

bbdave

Thanks all seem to have pro's and cons it seems by reviews that you can be lucky and get a good runner or a pup no matter what make or model

Dave

GrahamB

Quote from: gwrwill on December 15, 2011, 05:27:17 PM
Hi dave,

tell me about it i have been trying for the past couple of weeks to get my hands on the peco collett with no success :thumbsdown: definately don't believe in santa now ;D ;D ;D
Try here http://www.modelshopuk.com/ They had one a couple of weeks ago when I went in there. They have odd opening times and I don't know if they do mail order.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

brbluewill

Quote from: GrahamB on December 15, 2011, 06:44:26 PM
Hi dave,

Try here http://www.modelshopuk.com/ They had one a couple of weeks ago when I went in there. They have odd opening times and I don't know if they do mail order.

cheers graham will give them a call :thumbsup: your not wrong with the opening hours 5.30am opening time ;D ;D

GrahamB

Quote from: gwrwill on December 15, 2011, 06:53:58 PM
Hi dave,

cheers graham will give them a call :thumbsup: your not wrong with the opening hours 5.30am opening time ;D ;D
It's also a village newsagents which explains the early opening time and keeps the modelling side of the business afloat.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

4x2

Hi dave,

In case you're interested - Osbournes show two peco collets possibly more, on their website (GWR shirt button and BR black) might want to check that out....  :thumbsup:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

brbluewill

Quote from: 4x2 on December 15, 2011, 11:06:47 PM
Hi dave,

cheers have sent an email ;)
In case you're interested - Osbournes show two, possibly more on their website (GWR shirt button and BR black) might want to check that out....  :thumbsup:

brbluewill

Hi dave,

big thanks mate phoned this morning and its now on its way to me :thumbsup:

bbdave

This is the problem starting a thread like this when i need to wait a week or two for funds all the good ones get snapped up i'll make do with pushing my coaches round with a stick :(

Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations