Naming your layout

Started by RichardBattersby, October 03, 2011, 09:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Oh Nobby "You just made my day" :thumbsup:

All jokes aside I  get so damn confused about what direction to take with a layout I drive myself nuts :thumbsdown:

Started out with a 10ft x 5 ft British layout which never got past the scenery, decided there was no way that I could get much further because of a shortage of kits etc in Oz, after working for Aussie Post Office for 24 years I am not keen on buying overseas :thumbsdown:

Cut out the centre section and converted it to two 5ft x 3ft layouts, one British and one American ???

Had two Farish locos kick the bucket in one day and got so p'd off that I traded what British stuff I had and went all American :thumbsup:

Two American layouts were really to small for anything decent so decided to join the two layouts with new centre sections so now we have a 10ft x 5ft American layout with no name ???

Must be old age but I think I am Arthur and not Martha  ??? ???
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

elmo

Odrailbug - my solution to 'your' problem I have numerous themed layouts. I have two 00 gauge shunting layouts (4' x 1' and 5' x 14"). In N Gauge I have a 5' x 2 1/2' a 4' x 1' and am currently designing another N gauge 4 x 1. I have made box covers for the narrow layouts with a wood frame and perspex so when not in use they are kept on shelves with stock on board so act as scenic display cases. sadly I am now running out of wall space!
Elmo

EtchedPixels

Yep one reason I build assorted micro-layouts, from pre-group to modern, and why the bit for the doorway and other odd little separate areas are their own unconnected scenes.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

moogle

I always try to make the name sound right for the area I'm modelling, regardless if it exists or not.
For example, the little Irish branch line I'm building is called Kilnevan.
It's set in southwest Ireland and a lot of places there begin with Kil. (spelt Cil in Irish)
Cil is Irish for church. Nevan is an old Irish name that means little saint. (spelt Naobhan in Irish)
So I have Cil Naobhan - Church of St. Nevan. It can be read therefor as Church of the little saint!  :smiley-laughing:

Its certainly hard choosing the right name and even harder choosing a name when not in English as you don't want to name you layout something stupid like 'house of the cheese eating broom people' or 'mountain of ugly children'. Or do you?  :evil:
The main thing to remember is that its your layout so you can call it what you want.  ;D
You only need to start being careful what you call it if you intend to show it at exhibitions so as not to offend anyone.
Humour in the name can often help then!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

elmo

'house of the cheese eating broom people'

You have just given me an idea  :smiley-laughing:

Fratton

Im a pompey fan and as theres a real fratton yard i named mine after the opposite end of fratton park the Mitlon end "Milton Yard" (although not its full name)

a layout named "the Linvoy Primus Community stand" wouldnt make a good name,,,,,,
Charlie.

RichardBattersby

I'm sure you'll all be delighted to hear that I've thought of a name for my layout - Askham Battersby. An amalgamation of Battersby and Askham Richard. Both in North Yorkshire. We used to drive passed Askham Richard when I was young and I loved it for obvious reasons. I remeber feeling very important that a place 'had been named after me' and the insinuation that people needed to 'ask me' things. Haha, oh to be 5 years old again. Anyway, I think it all ties in very well, what with my name and everything. I was lucky enough to attend the 175th NYMR Gala in May and got an amazing steam hauled trip (Duke of Gloucester) to Battersby and back, then from Grosmont to Pickering behind Sir Nigel.  ;D

So, just need to find some transfers so I can make a station sign!  :smiley-laughing:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

spurno

hi Richard
i had the same problem.it's taken me a year to come up with a name for my layout and it's a bit of a mouthfull.i decided on Long Dagoff Moor in memory of my late father in law.the middle bit is his name and the outer bits form Longmoor as in Longmoor Military Railway which is where he served in the mid sixties,now all i have to do is find some long station signs.i like your final choice by the way.

cheers

alan
Born beside the mighty GWR.

Regards

alan

RichardBattersby

Hi! I know, it's difficult isn't it? Thank you, yours is good too. :)
Richard

Alex

Hi,

I didn't really have a name for my main layout but Kenmore came to mind one day. Don't know why. My US layout has simply been named Kenmore Springs. One of its features is Snake Pass.

Alex

Flakmunky

I went for Dinsdale Park as a name for my fictional town. Dinsdale is the name of the station in our village...

Why not get a couple of timetables for rural trains and see what happens if you put some of the names together in different ways?

RichardBattersby

Thanks Flakmunky. I've actually managed to come up with one - Askham Battersby. You can see the progress here:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2408.0
Richard

The Cuckoo

Quote from: Flakmunky on November 29, 2011, 06:32:54 PM
I went for Dinsdale Park as a name for my fictional town. Dinsdale is the name of the station in our village...

Why not get a couple of timetables for rural trains and see what happens if you put some of the names together in different ways?

There's a place down the road from me called Middleton St. George which has a station named Dinsdale.

Dave F

My layout is partly based on Cherry Burton, near Beverley in East Yorkshire, so that's where the Burton bit came from. Penny was my dog who died this spring, so the layout is named in honour of her.

I suppose the trick is to pick something that's meaningful to you and Battersby's a great name for a layout.

Dave   :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations