Peco 6 way gauge n

Started by LMS4-6-2, October 26, 2012, 09:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMS4-6-2

Hi has anyone used a peco 6 way gauge n as I'm a bit stuck with it is it for set track I need it to look real between the track I think it is 6ft from track to track I am using streamline and set track so if anyone can explain what it does. Many thanks

EtchedPixels

Quote from: LMS4-6-2 on October 26, 2012, 09:48:41 PM
Hi has anyone used a peco 6 way gauge n as I'm a bit stuck with it is it for set track I need it to look real between the track I think it is 6ft from track to track I am using streamline and set track so if anyone can explain what it does. Many thanks

Six foot (~12mm) between pairs of tracks minimum and 10ft (~20mm) between two pairs or between that and a siding or similar. The 6ft spacing goes back to at least the 1830s possibly earlier !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

LMS4-6-2

Many thanks for that it a great help. :-)

Sprintex

The lugs on the gauge sit in the track between the rails if you didn't know, as I didn't when I first saw one, like this  ;)

The top 'lugs' on the pic below (marked 26mm) are for standard setrack spacing as this is the distance dictated by two setrack points used as a crossover. This will ensure passing trains won't touch on tight corners, but is a little wide to look realistic.

The bottom 'lugs' (marked 18mm) will give standard streamline spacing for stream line points used as a crossover. More realistic looking but you will need to be careful with parallel tracks on tight curves that passing trains don't hit each other, especially with longer (MK3/MK4) coaches or bogie wagons  :thumbsup:

Paul

Matthew-peter

If using the bottom lugs I was always told that only radius 3 upwards should be used, IE Rad3, Rad4 and flexi.
1)Best to lay one curve fully end to end,
2) then blutac a pencil to the outside end of the longest piece of stock you have,
3) once that is loosely attached, go around the curve drawing a line with the pencil that is loosely attached with the wagon on the just laid curve,
4) After that line has been drawn, place the next curve loosely and make sure they dont get too close to the drawn line, also try two long wagons/carriages passing each other on both curves,
5) once happy they wont hit each lay the second curve fully and repeat as many times needed for other curves you need.
Hope this helps and makes sense.
OK who took my cake?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations