The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

I received an email from my electricity supplier today.

I thought you might be interested in my reply.

QuoteDear EON

I have determined that the acronym EON must stand for "Endless Onerous Notifications" as, once again (I've lost count) you send me an email about wanting me to change to a smart meter.

Emails, phone calls, even a personal visit from one of your staff - I've had them all!

To each, including a phone call just about two weeks ago from a nice young lady - I have said that I DONT WANT A SMART METER!

Each have replied with an apology and a promise that they will update the system to ensure I'm not bothered again.

Each has, therefore, either failed in their duty to do such an update; lied to me; or your system sucks!

PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT WANT A SMART METER FITTED.

END OF.

Kind regards

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!! :veryangry:  :veryangry:

As you may know, there is no legal requirement for me to have a Smart Meter fitted, despite the wording of emails from EON that states "Don't forget, your electricity meter needs to be upgraded to our self-reading smart meter."
Their is no necessity to have one fitted. I note that they have toned down the emails of late - earlier ones were almost threatening, in the manner say, of a final demand notice.

So, if you don't want one fitted and are similarly being plagued by your supplier, please feel free to use my reply to EON as a Pro-Forma.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

So are we correct in thinking you don't want a smart meter then daffy? ;)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Yet_Another

Scottish Power employ similar tactics. I just ignore them.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Malc

Scottish Power phoned me to ask if I would like a smart meter. I declined and they asked me why. I told them that the design of the meters differed between companies and weren't compatible with each other. I didn't want to be tied to one supplier if they decide to increase their prices. She said that was fine and i've Not heard from them since.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

The Q

my reply to eon was it won't work there is no Mobile phone signal here..

stevewalker

Quote from: daffy on March 01, 2018, 10:35:04 AM

So, if you don't want one fitted and are similarly being plagued by your supplier, please feel free to use my reply to EON as a Pro-Forma.

Better still, send them a letter, signed for, stating that you give them 1 month to amend their data and ensure that they stop contacting you about smart meters and that after that period, you will be billing them £50 for dealing with each such contact that they make and £50 for each letter that you have to send them to tell them to stop. If they carry on, take them to the small claims court!

This technique has been used by people in the past to deal with unwanted contact and has won them hundreds of pounds - ending up with the contact stopping suddenly as well!

Newportnobby

My Mum (in her eighties) is being pestered by her power company to have smart meters on the basis she can then regulate her power usage. Yeah right. It's minus 6 degrees outside and I'm using too much gas for my boiler so I'll turn the heating down. The power she uses is what she needs to be comfortable - no more, no less. I've just told her to ignore them and let me know if she hears anything more.
Then someone will get a high powered flea in their lughole >:D

daffy

I ignore most of the emails, but phone calls and knocks on the door at inopportune times are a pain in the proverbial.

I conservatively estimate that the various contacts have exceeded 20 since I signed up with them just under a year ago, and like others it's the lack of compatibility between suppliers, but mostly the appalling signal we get here (neighbours have had them fitted only for them to be turned off into 'dumb' mode for that very reason) that lead me to deny their request to fit one.

I'm on a favourable fixed contract (with no exit penalties) at the moment and happy with the price, but will switch whenever I feel it is the right time.

As for sending a penalty letter, thanks for the idea Steve, I'll reserve that for the next time they send a smart meter email or whatever - which will probably be in about two weeks time. :)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daveg

Not heard from Scottish Power but if they do ask, I shall ask them does their smart meter work with semaphore flags or can I have an Aldis Lamp version.

Mobile signal around here is alternate Tuesdays but they don't tell you which!

Dave G

Skyline2uk

Ohhh yes, the so called smart meters.

Mrs Skyline hates those adverts, suggesting they make it seem as if "gas and electricity go bonkers when you are out of the house".

I have flatly ignored the letter from my provider (before Christmas, not heard again). I don't want one, as with others I don't want one that ties my to a single supplier (or at least makes it harder to switch).

If anybody is approached, the question to ask is:

"Is the device you propose to fit to my property of the SMETS2 standard?"
"Seeing as I have no interest at all in the earlier SMETS1 standard which ties me to a single provider, I would only entertain a SMETS2 standard smart meter"

Seeing as:

A) The national rollout of SMETS2 has been continuously delayed.
B) Providers are likely to have piles of the old standard in their warehouses.
C) They won't tell you if you don't ask

They are likely to fit SMETS1 as standard.

Of course, as correctly said above, you are under NO obligation to have a smart meter at all. So by all means give them a straight "No".

Anyway:

Who remembers this previous Skyline rant on this thread back in July?

QuoteI am sooooo  :censored: with myself

I was sat happily putting the etched name plates onto my Class 60 "Swindon Dalesman".

All going fine until I got to put the last plate on and it, plus the fret, are nowhere to be seen.

Turned the room upside down looking for it. No luck.

All the advice about storing small parts etc and I just loose it.  :veryangry:

Does anybody have a spare they could part with?

Skyline2uk

Well, this evening I ventured into the man cave to remove a stray cable from outside the window (slightly dodgy roofers who have just left, that's ANOTHER rant for here  :veryangry:) and I just so happened to look down and saw this in my window frame:

Yep, the missing Swindon Dalesman etch.

I will never know how that ended up there.

Anybody need a single name-plate?!

Skyline2uk

tgv_obsessed

Twice a week, I go to the supermarket. I can choose on my drive home between Waitrose, Sainsburys and Tesco. All have good potential to induce plenty of anger, bitterness and resentment, against both the stores themselves and my fellow man.

This week it was Sainsbury's turn and the culprit my fellow man. Well two of our fine species, a man and a woman. One clueless, the other wearing ear-sodding-phones. I shall elaborate.

Trolley checkout procedure and etiquette. The person in front finishes loading the conveyor, and then either you or they plop the plastic toblerone down so that you may start loading your own groceries. To facilitate this, once the person in front has emptied their trolley, they put it in front of them so they stand adjacent to said toblerone. You now have all the space to start loading.

On Tuesday, the fellow in front, having emptied his trolley kept it behind him. Standing next to his toblerone, it meant that I couldn't start loading until he was almost checking out himself. To compound matters, he kept payingside of his trolley all the way through checkout and then dragged the thing out full of bags. I hadn't even half finished emptying by the time it was my turn at the front. The queue behind me were silently muttering their hate - I know I would be! I had to foolishly keep loading the conveyor as my groceries were piling up on the other side of the casheer.

A one off, I thought to myself as I tried to simmer down, but alas no.

Yesterday the same sodding thing happened! This time a young woman listening to music, oblivious to her surroundings, repeated the crime, and once again I couldn't bag my groceries in a timely manner. Daggers of unpleasantness from the irate queuers behind me! This had never happened to me before this week. Never. Its such an unnatural thing to do- in the supermarket queue standing front to back with the person in front when you could have a trolley of space to not have to smell their armpits or whatever. Everyone, EVERYONE else in all the other queues were doing it the correct way- leading by example. Example that was not heeded!

Reading through this, it seems that I am being unreasonable, but the incidents did make me furious, especially the second, it was sickening! Maybe I have a personality dissorder.

running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Newportnobby

I must admit I'd get pretty het up myself in a similar situation. Luckily it has not happened to me yet, although I have lost count of the occasions when, having paid for their shopping, some folks stop at the exit to the checkout and have a chat with a friend. Usually a loud "Excellent place to stop!" does the trick.

daffy

Fellow man is a contrary beast indeed. Sympathies to you tgv, though I find in similar situations, where dear fellow-not-well-met seems to have no regard for standard check-out etiquette, I simply let forth a polite 'Excuse me .....' followed by an equally polite request for them to shift their proverbial a little.

As for checkout staff who start their beeping barcode activity before I am in place, counter end, trolley and bags at the ready, I am a model of politeness as I ask them to wait until I've unloaded onto the conveyor. And if they then start the beeping process at frenetic speed, my bag packing activity slows to a crawl and I ask them, politely to slow down.

But I do feel the greatest sympathy for the check-out staff who have to put up with those who fail to acknowledge their existence and spend the check-out time either on the phone, listening to music or whatever from their phone/iPod or what you will, or have exclusive conversations with their friend.

And as for auto checkouts - give me a real person very time.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

tgv_obsessed

I too am polite to the check out staff, of course because it is right and proper, but also- to slow the buggers down!

I always try to give them some chit chat when i am getting my bags ready, so they don't start bleeping the things through until I'm good and ready for the stuff. If you say " how are you? " they daren't risk being rude and not answering- you might be the mystery shopper.

It is a bit trickier once they are in their stride and have the steady rythm of a ping pong player passing the things through the evil scanner, but I have a few tactics. If the car park is a "validate your ticket at the cashere" sort, then I suddnely stop them and produce that ticket halfway through, it slows them a little. Asking for only one bag at the beginning and then having to get more during the shopping, that slows them a great deal- even if they cunningly put bags out, I'll still force them to answer the question- can I have another bag? even better- they reply only one? yes thank you- even though there are 4 bagfuls on the conveyor.

If they persist, then I too grind to a halt with my packing. To ram the point home, there was one particular chashere recently- he had a moustache and beady eyes, he really sent my groceries through quickly- he told me the ammount, but before paying him i insisted on emptying 2 bags and repacking them. Which I did- like a toddler putting the right shaped blocks through the right shaped holes.

My partner doesn't like going to the supermarket with me. She says I cause trouble and am an embarassment. I hope so!
running in is so you get used to the noise, oops, to bed the gears down properly

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations