Loft Layout - Air Con or Velux Window

Started by mikeeyh, July 26, 2013, 10:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeeyh

Not been in the loft for a few weeks now other than for a few minutes to get a suitcase, and I thought I was going to pass out during this.

So I've been seriously considering a Velux Window, but a friend who has one of these has said it still gets hot and without a breeze is still unbearable.

So I'm also considering a portable aircon unit for the loft, I already have vents in the roof tiles so venting should not be a problem and I would only look at a self evaporating unit.  I would need a new powerline running into the loft.

Price wise I can't see much difference, and the air con will help with heating in the winter.

Anybody else made a similair decession, or got any words of advice.

Cheers
Michael

d-a-n

Natural light is nice, but if you have an open window, are you much more likely to get dust/microscopic particles/general tiny bits floating in and not helping with maintenance and cleaning of the layout?

Tank

I put a couple of Velux windows in my loft myself.   I bought three from eBay for £55 the set. :laugh3: I just had to source the right flashings.  Because there is a pair (one still to fit) I get a good airflow through the loft, and it's also insulated which helps with the heat/cold.  It still gets warm though.  When it was 32 degrees the other day it was 30 in the loft - too much for me.  Air con would be great, although expensive to run, and as has been said the natural light is a lot more welcoming when in the loft space.  :)

EtchedPixels

Velux lets you air the room and get some contact with outside which IMHO is a big plus, make sure the velux is either north facing (in the UK at least) or get it covered with the UV screening stuff they use for shop windows.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

ozzie Bill.

If you can source it, get a reverse cycle split system air con unit. That way the outlet is in the roof, the unit is on the wall outside, makes fitting easier and you get heat in the winter. In Aus they have become really cheap for the small systems. The only 2 downsides are 1) running costs and 2) the area you are cooling/heating needs to be limited by walls etc. to the recommended size of the unit, otherwise there is no value in having it at all. Cheers, Bill.

Flakmunky

If you are talking about the c.£200 units as seen in the orange DIY store our the purple electrical store, save your money. We have one and it struggles to get the temperature of our daughter's room down to 23 degrees on a hot day. Also, the lowest temperature ours can do is 18 degrees.

If you are going down the AC route then a split system is the way to go.

As stated, one Velux window on its own won't help a great deal, you will need a pair... But your lift should already be ventilated so not sure they will make a huge difference.

Is your roof insulated? This can help....

ozzie Bill.

Hi Flakmonkey, as I am from Aus these days, I have no idea what the unit is that you are referring to. We have a whole stack of brands here ( naturally, given the climate) ranging from cheaper brands like LG through to Daikin, Carrier and Panasonic. Even LG over here has now become a pretty fair brand. The important thing to remember is to match the room size with the KW. Unlike heaters, a/c's generally have negligible effect if the unit so too small for the room. However, I am straying away from the OP, so I'll go outside and find me a taxi. Cheers, Bill.

oscar

I have two north facing Velux and they have built-in blinds, so no problem with fading scenery. Also, they make the loft feel roomier!

mikeeyh

Quote from: d-a-n on July 26, 2013, 10:31:24 PM
Natural light is nice, but if you have an open window, are you much more likely to get dust/microscopic particles/general tiny bits floating in and not helping with maintenance and cleaning of the layout?

It's a old house, and the loft is not converted just boards on the floor, so I'm for ever cleaning.

Quote from: Tank on July 26, 2013, 10:47:14 PM
I put a couple of Velux windows in my loft myself.   I bought three from eBay for £55 the set. :laugh3: I just had to source the right flashings.  Because there is a pair (one still to fit) I get a good airflow through the loft, and it's also insulated which helps with the heat/cold.  It still gets warm though.  When it was 32 degrees the other day it was 30 in the loft - too much for me.  Air con would be great, although expensive to run, and as has been said the natural light is a lot more welcoming when in the loft space.  :)

I can't see SWMBO letting me do that, I also know my DIY limits.
I'm hoping that the couple of hours here and there, the bills don't shot upwards to much but without doing something I would not get to play.

Quote from: Only Me on July 26, 2013, 10:49:01 PM
The sunlight through the window will also fade any scenery i would go for aircon and day light lamps :)

Cheers

Quote from: EtchedPixels on July 26, 2013, 11:53:04 PM
Velux lets you air the room and get some contact with outside which IMHO is a big plus, make sure the velux is either north facing (in the UK at least) or get it covered with the UV screening stuff they use for shop windows.

Alan

It would be West facing, and possibly south if I was able to install two.

Quote from: ozzie Bill. on July 27, 2013, 02:59:46 AM
If you can source it, get a reverse cycle split system air con unit. That way the outlet is in the roof, the unit is on the wall outside, makes fitting easier and you get heat in the winter. In Aus they have become really cheap for the small systems. The only 2 downsides are 1) running costs and 2) the area you are cooling/heating needs to be limited by walls etc. to the recommended size of the unit, otherwise there is no value in having it at all. Cheers, Bill.

I'm hoping running cost are limited due to lenght of planned use.
I do have a wall (we are a semi-detached), but I would need to price this option up.

Quote from: Flakmunky on July 27, 2013, 06:58:07 AM
If you are talking about the c.£200 units as seen in the orange DIY store our the purple electrical store, save your money. We have one and it struggles to get the temperature of our daughter's room down to 23 degrees on a hot day. Also, the lowest temperature ours can do is 18 degrees.

If you are going down the AC route then a split system is the way to go.

As stated, one Velux window on its own won't help a great deal, you will need a pair... But your lift should already be ventilated so not sure they will make a huge difference.

Is your roof insulated? This can help....

I was more looking at the £400 upward machines (min 12k BTU), I've got a £200 one at work and yes it struggles.  Room is bigger and full of computers, but it brings the room down by 4-5 degrees C.

When we bought the house the survey said we need to vent the roof, so a roofer came and changed three tiles (one on each pitch) to Vent tiles, its still like a sauna so who knows what it would be like with out them.

Its insulated between the bedroom ceiling and the loft floor, not on the loft ceiling.

EtchedPixels

I'd say avoid a south facing velux. The previous owner blessed us with one here and its fine if you like sunbathing in the loft but not for much else
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

GrahamB

My loft has a south facing velux. The ridge of my roof runs east - west. I wanted a north facing velux as well so the two would provide a draft but a covenant on the property prevented it.

However, it also has a blackout blind. That means I can open it without having the sun streaming in. The loft still gets very hot to the point that I pack all the stock and bring it downstairs to protect it. The layout survives quite well.

Opening the window and running a fan to provide a degree of air flow works quite well.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations