Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Have to agree, particularly the 'high end' area of the market, what do you get spending £400 over a base model? I note (because curiosity got the best of me!) that TomTom now only do 3 models. Get a phone charger in the car and start carrying the phone. Never out of date, and saves you £400 (or £395 once you've bought an in-car charger!).

Newportnobby

Quote from: stevewalker on May 08, 2022, 12:31:11 AM
I am not looking at the cheap end of the market - the old one over £400, but lasted about 14 years.

Quote from: steve836 on May 08, 2022, 10:04:22 AM
I know you say that you don't always carry your phone, but how about keeping a spare in the car mainly for use as a satnav, but would give friends and family a way to get hold of you in an emergency. I have a Samsung E20 with an account on 3 costs £22 per month and gives unlimited calls, texts and data.

:hmmm: Replacement satnav for £400 or Samsung E20 @ £22 per month over 14 years = £3696.
Bargain!! ;)
(From a smartphone hater)

steve836

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 08, 2022, 10:21:25 AM
I am not looking at the cheap end of the market - the old one over £400, but lasted about 14 years.

I know you say that you don't always carry your phone, but how about keeping a spare in the car mainly for use as a satnav, but would give friends and family a way to get hold of you in an emergency. I have a Samsung E20 with an account on 3 costs £22 per month and gives unlimited calls, texts and data.

:hmmm: Replacement satnav for £400 or Samsung E20 @ £22 per month over 14 years = £3696.
Bargain!! ;)
The phone cost £100. Even if you bought a satnav you would need to pay out a fee to keep it updated.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

emjaybee

Quote from: steve836 on May 08, 2022, 10:25:21 AM

Bargain!! ;)
The phone cost £100. Even if you bought a satnav you would need to pay out a fee to keep it updated.

I already have a smartphone. It's my emails, my internet, my yellow pages, my materials suppliers, and my satnav. As previously mentioned, Google maps is constantly updated, so no need for paid map updates or subscriptions.

From someone who is not a trogal troglody trogod trodilyt smartphone hater.

:-*
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Graham

Just got a notice from Garmin, my lifetime of maps ends next year. Anoying as I had US, UK and Aus/NZ maps on mine for travelling.

emjaybee

Quote from: Graham on May 08, 2022, 10:44:28 AM
Just got a notice from Garmin, my lifetime of maps ends next year. Anoying as I had US, UK and Aus/NZ maps on mine for travelling.

Cripes! Were you aware your life was ending next year?

:o
Brookline build thread:

Newportnobby

Quote from: emjaybee on May 08, 2022, 10:35:49 AM

Luddite is far easier to spell :P

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 08, 2022, 11:29:29 AM
Quote from: emjaybee on May 08, 2022, 10:35:49 AM

Luddite is far easier to spell :P

THAT's what I was trying to spell!

???
Brookline build thread:

stevewalker

Quote from: steve836 on May 08, 2022, 10:25:21 AM

Bargain!! ;)

A satnav with maps for Europe and lifetime updates can be had from around a £100.  Prices have fallen since I bought all those years ago - in fact our very first one cost £950. For £160, you can get one with European maps, Bluetooth hands free for your phone, voice activation ... even Alexa for queries on the move. And if they last as long as my previous one, that's a one-off payment for 14 years of service! I have used my phone for navigation on occasion, but find that it doesn't work as well handsfree as dedicated kit with an external microphone and its own speaker, with voices being harder to make out in both directions.

New cars seem to be coming with satnav built in, but often with only a single map update included, with future ones costing a couple of hundred pounds a time!

The Q

Unfortunately Lifetime Updates last only as long as the manufactures deem the life of the equipment is.. not whether the equipment is still working..

Newportnobby

For reasons I won't go into (but it may become clear to some in the know) I am having to sell my Mother's car. However, I had informed the Government website - Tell Us Once. Now this is a helpful site as they inform all government departments e.g. DWP, DVLA etc. So far so good .........BUT.....
All the places I've tried to sell the car require me to drive it to them for valuation but the 'Tell Us Once' site has been too good. Not only have they removed Mother as the registered keeper of the vehicle but they have also refunded a balance of the road tax (exactly as they should)
It now looks as if I'll have to register myself as the new keeper, tax the car again so I can hawk it around for a deal and collect a tax refund if/when the car sells.
I tried to phone the DVLA today to see if there is an alternative but gave up after being on hold for 18.17 minutes and being told they have a high volume of calls ::)

Trainfish

In my experience you will get a better price selling privately if that's an option with the added bonus that the potential buyers will come to you. Also Mick keep an eye on what the Tell Us Once team do. 5 years ago (they were called the one-stop shop when I dealt with them and I don't mean the small Tesco stores as they were) the DWP were informed but made payments to my mother which they shouldn't have done. The DWP then chased me for the money to be paid back at a later date. I ignored them and they went away in the end.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Problem is private buyers will want a road test and the car's not taxed. I can't afford all the inevitable time wasters either :no:

guest10040

Mick,
just a thought, but if you are taking it to a dealer that does MOTs, you should IIRC be able to drive it to a prebooked MOT without it being taxed.
otherwise, perhaps the dealer would collect it on trade plates ?

Newportnobby

I had thought of that, Alan, but the fuzz know whether a car has an MOT or not so, if I was stopped, I wouldn't have much of a defence. At present, dealers won't do home visits to check/value a car, I've found so far.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations