what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Thanks anyway. I think I'll email Dapol and ask them directly.

I'm off for a dual birthday bash with the lads up in London. An (extra) 65th beer for me and a welcome 63rd for another old far chap. Been having great times as a gang for 33 years. One day one of us may start growing up. Bags it's not me!  :claphappy:

Dave G

Chetcombe

Quote from: daveg on November 16, 2012, 10:10:30 AM

Thanks anyway. I think I'll email Dapol and ask them directly.

I'm off for a dual birthday bash with the lads up in London. An (extra) 65th beer for me and a welcome 63rd for another old far chap. Been having great times as a gang for 33 years. One day one of us may start growing up. Bags it's not me!  :claphappy:

Dave G

Happy birthday Dave :claphappy: Suggest you check in with Peter Pan before growing up!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Caz

Happy Birthday Dave, have a great time and not too much of the falling down water  :beers:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Hope you survive(d) in one piece, Dave :beers:

This afternoon, I har mostly been cutting platforms out of spare Sundeala then running stock (specifically the latest outside frame 08 ) past them to see what needs filing/fettling.
Although I have some plastic platform ramps I'd prefer to somehow cut the Sundeala to form the ramps. Has anyone done this and if so, how please. The Sundeala will be topped off with a suitable thickness plastikard. I can't go much further with the platforms until those nice people at Metcalfe bring out their N version of the Wayside Station building :D

daveg

Thanks NN. I'm mostly in one piece but minus a few more grey cells. (So few now they all have names  :) )

Can't help you with Sundeala but agree re the Metcalfe Wayside kit - wish they'd also do a N footbridge.

Why not drop him an email? I won't as after chasing for the brilliant signal boxes and again for the shed, he's probably heard enough from me for a month or two!

Dave G

Newportnobby

I've been told by Metcalfe the station will be done in N so it's on my 'must have' list.
I'll then get the signal boxes at the same time :thumbsup:
Dunno about the footbridge though as I've just bought the Ratio covered version :worried:

daveg

That's reall good news! I'm currently using the redbrick PN109 which is a fine model but doesn't quite go with the country feel I want.

The 'boxes are very good - the steps are a bit of a challenge. There's some pics of the ones I did a while back in my album if that's any use.

Malc

Quote from: newportnobby on November 17, 2012, 04:06:58 PM
Hope you survive(d) in one piece, Dave :beers:

This afternoon, I har mostly been cutting platforms out of spare Sundeala then running stock (specifically the latest outside frame 08 ) past them to see what needs filing/fettling.
Although I have some plastic platform ramps I'd prefer to somehow cut the Sundeala to form the ramps. Has anyone done this and if so, how please. The Sundeala will be topped off with a suitable thickness plastikard. I can't go much further with the platforms until those nice people at Metcalfe bring out their N version of the Wayside Station building :D
Hi Mick,
I didn't use sundeala for my platform, but instead used 6mm MDF topped with plastic sheet and painted. I made the ramps by using a belt sander to sand the slope.

Malc
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Jonathan Clapp

I'm afraid Ive gotten completely away from N scale trains for a while, but I am building a layout, it's a 1:400 scale airport.

This one in fact, in Oakland, Calif.

I still adore trains, especially British trains, and I lurk in here daily.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Jonathan Clapp on November 17, 2012, 06:32:25 PM
I'm afraid Ive gotten completely away from N scale trains for a while, but I am building a layout, it's a 1:400 scale airport.
I still adore trains, especially British trains, and I lurk in here daily.

1:400 airport, near enough right for a 1:450 train service 8): T time
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

zwilnik

You going to have them taxing around and taking off/landing like at Minature Wonderland Jonathan? :)

I've been working on finishing off the branch line and scenery at the back of the layout today. The big hole in the centre of the pics is an access hole for working on the back. Once it's all 'done', the panel will be fixed back in place semi-permanently and the engine shed, turntable and coaling sidings will run over it, with the station on the main line and the wharf sidings to the front of the layout. Got the initial wiring in for the point motor on the branch line (a little storage siding at the back and Ives Yard points which were already wired from its previous incarnation).

There are some L brackets at the back behind the rock line so I can sit sheets of Depron behind the layout to use as my backscene (so it's simply to just drop it in place once it's done). It also protects the walls when I'm painting stuff ;)

Caz

Looking good,  :thumbsup: what make are the couple of sections of roundhouse, lower left, as I'm looking for ideas.
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Malc

Fleischmann do a nice roundhouse/turntable combo, with doors that automatically open when a loco moves towards them. I believe you can use it with Peco code 55 track, with suitable adaptor couplers.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Caz

Cheers Malc, I've already got the Fleischmann turntable, picked it up very cheap on Ebay  :)  I've looked at the Fleischmann roundhouse and am looking for something a bit cheaper if possible.
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

zwilnik

The pieces on the left are some I got 2nd hand off e-bay and I think they're the Fleischmann ones (if a tad battered). I also picked up the Walthers Cornerstone series "Union City Roundhouse" kit, which Osbornes sell, which is suspiciously similar and I suspect rather a lot of the manufacturers are using the same moulds).

Each kit is 3 sheds, so I'm planning on combining them and kitbashing them to look suitably British.

The engine shed panel for the baseboard has a hole cut for the Peco turnable. I've got the cheaper, manual fleischmann turntable (also e-bay) but I think I can do something more British with the Peco one, mainly because it'll be easier to motorise.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations