what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: whiteswan on March 07, 2014, 12:43:34 PM
If you are extending the already enormous station acquired from EP then it is going to be huge, hate to think of how many little people you will need to populate it.   ;)

I've only got 6 N gauge figures so far.  But then, the mark of an efficient transportation system is just how few folk are actually left on the platform :D

MattJ

Finally got round to chipping my Blue Pullman so it can run with the other guys!
They're there for their tea.

CarriageShed

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on March 07, 2014, 01:01:16 PM
I've only got 6 N gauge figures so far.  But then, the mark of an efficient transportation system is just how few folk are actually left on the platform :D

Let's face it. Outside of peak times the average station is pretty empty until about ten minutes before the next train arrives. You don't need that many people standing around to make it look prototypical.

Bealman

Quote from: MattJ on March 07, 2014, 07:47:03 PM
Finally got round to chipping my Blue Pullman so it can run with the other guys!

Not that I have anything to do with DCC at the moment, but out of curiosity.... do you have to chip both power cars?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ParkeNd

Quote from: Pete33 on March 08, 2014, 12:30:24 AM
Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on March 07, 2014, 01:01:16 PM

Let's face it. Outside of peak times the average station is pretty empty until about ten minutes before the next train arrives. You don't need that many people standing around to make it look prototypical.

I bought the book Favourite Railway Journeys by Paul Atterbury. Mostly photos taken around 1960 to 1965. Platforms on branch lines are either deserted or have two passengers at most. Seems like we would need to model the 1940 to about 1955 period to need a whole bag of N gauge people.

Caz

Quote from: Bealman on March 08, 2014, 01:13:16 AM

Not that I have anything to do with DCC at the moment, but out of curiosity.... do you have to chip both power cars?

Yes unless you want the second power car dragged around the layout.   ;)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

CarriageShed

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 08, 2014, 09:02:35 AM
I bought the book Favourite Railway Journeys by Paul Atterbury. Mostly photos taken around 1960 to 1965. Platforms on branch lines are either deserted or have two passengers at most. Seems like we would need to model the 1940 to about 1955 period to need a whole bag of N gauge people.

Just had a flick through an Ivo Peters book of the Somerset & Dorset in the 1950s. Even then, covering much of that decade, almost every station seems to be deserted. Bath (Midland) and Bournemouth West show a small scattering of people (although the shots are admittedly taken from the 'country' end of the stations).

MattJ

Quote from: whiteswan on March 08, 2014, 09:17:37 AM
Quote from: Bealman on March 08, 2014, 01:13:16 AM

Yes unless you want the second power car dragged around the layout.   ;)

It would be worse than that, with it buzzing with the motor burning out!  :o

They're there for their tea.

Chetcombe

Supergluing those pesky detail pipes on to the buffer beam of 3 Westerns :headbutt:

Kudos to Dapol though. The detail pipes for the Western are painted(!) and the pre-drilled holes actually accept the pipes and hold them. A much easier experience than on other locos I could mention :thumbsup:
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

EtchedPixels

I got the fiddle yard woodwork done then discovered I've mislaid my supply of railjoiners  :veryangry:. I had enough lurking to do the middle board, at which point I as also running out of track (16 x 1.2m is a lot of flexi!)

Since I was still in a construction mood and had the space handy and the tools out I decided to turn the spares and some old set-track into a mini layout for fun while I was at it. Then  I added some narrow gauge, made it two level and added an optional extension on the side 8)

Next job is to finish the electricals and test the NN3 sections so that I can begin the lower level scenic work.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

Cool!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What is the yellow NG beastie, and where from?

George

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

D1042 Western Princess

What am I doing on my layout right now?? I could say "nothing, because I'm on my laptop" :laugh3: but the real reason is that I can't find time to work on it due to other commitments. :'(  I haven't touched it for about a week. :'( :'(
But when I can finally get back I will continue building the road network and associated scenic work.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

DCCDave

Trying my hand at some natural light photography:

A3  60045 Lemberg waits in the loop at Cruikglen.

Cheers
Dave

ParkeNd

Luke Piewalker

I've been building a little dioramaesque display case for my 89, from a plastic model car display case.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations