what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkeNd

Quote from: scotsoft on March 01, 2014, 11:06:53 PM
Quote from: silverfox on March 01, 2014, 11:00:40 PM
I've been playing around with 117mm radius unitrack curves.........testing for another project!

It's remarkable what will happily run round such a tight bend..........my 33 and 26 ran with no problems :goggleeyes:, then the short stuff 03,04, plus of course my old faithful 08 and J94

Happy days :claphappy:

They are great for a small oval, suitably decorated, going round the television at Christmas  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Or a diorama for Danbury Mint. Like a little fully detailed hand decorated train that runs up a helix with decreasing radii around a Christmas Tree until it gets to the top when a fairy dressed like a station master sings the first line of "she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"

In a limited edition of 10 million - yours for only £9.99 and 156 payments of £29.99. Postage and packing £47.50.

silverfox

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 01, 2014, 11:37:40 PM
Quote from: scotsoft on March 01, 2014, 11:06:53 PM
Quote from: silverfox on March 01, 2014, 11:00:40 PM
I've been playing around with 117mm radius unitrack curves.........testing for another project!

It's remarkable what will happily run round such a tight bend..........my 33 and 26 ran with no problems :goggleeyes:, then the short stuff 03,04, plus of course my old faithful 08 and J94

Happy days :claphappy:

They are great for a small oval, suitably decorated, going round the television at Christmas  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Or a diorama for Danbury Mint. Like a little fully detailed hand decorated train that runs up a helix with decreasing radii around a Christmas Tree until it gets to the top when a fairy dressed like a station master sings the first line of "she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"

In a limited edition of 10 million - yours for only £9.99 and 156 payments of £29.99. Postage and packing £47.50.

Blast.........how did you possibly guess what my next project was? Danbury'll be pi*@"d.............damn it, back to the drawing board! :doh:

Wingman mothergoose

My mrs is away most of this week on a training course, will give me some good uninterrupted time on the layout, I've got some track alterations to sort out, lengthening 2 loops, moving a crossover and possibly adding a trailing crossover in the station area, not to mention fiddling with the scenery, making the main tunnel area more urban, with rows of terraced houses marching away up the hill, no point having a suburban station in the countryside...

ParkeNd

Putting scale sized paper cut outs the size of the footprints of my remaining unbuilt buildings on the New Road section of my real place layout to see if I can avoid building a privately run car service garage that has been there since even 1920's photos were taken. It's ugly now and always was.

CarriageShed

Quote from: Bealman on March 01, 2014, 10:55:48 AM
Have you tried putting old sheets down on the carpet, Pete?  ;)

Even then there's always the paint that's on the sole of your shoe being transferred to the carpet outside of the room you're painting. Done it already. ;)

Having said that, the place is kept fairly clean and tidy, despite having paint pots, brushes, rollers, a step ladder, and painting sheets either down and in use or stacked up in corners of the house. If a SWMBO ever had cause to visit, she might not be entirely dissatisfied.

port perran

Just finished attaching point motors and completing the underboard wiring for all points. All 22 of them..... and all done retrospectively after track laid and scenery done. A back breaking job mainly done lying down !
I now have several dozen bits of wire (all labelled) appearing from the side of the baseboard ready to be attached to the control panel. That's a job for another day and will tell me whether anything actually works. Fingers crossed.
This has been a frustrating period as I've not been able to run any trains since just after Christmas. Looking forward to getting things running again.
I can then turn my attention to street/platform and building lights  and remodelling Port Perran station area.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

ColinH

Quote from: port perran on March 02, 2014, 02:51:47 PM
Just finished attaching point motors and completing the underboard wiring for all points.

You have my sympathy as I am doing the same thing, only 18 points, 1 catch point and a single slip though. Have just finished wiring point switches for switching frog polarity and all seems to be working  :claphappy: Not shorting the controller anyway.  Now enjoying a well deserved mug of coffee and catching up with latest Forum postings.

Next job is to wire in some grain of wheat bulbs to indicate route set.  :uneasy: Fortunately I can tip my board on its side so don't have to work in Bealman Land. Downside is that it has damaged some of the scenics I had already completed so will have to do some repairs.

Will put some pics on my layout thread later.

My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Caz

After fitting lights to Bampney Village today I fitted the lights to Bampney Station and goods yard plus managed to finished painting the last of the 120 people in the Prieser unpainted figures set.  Almost worth buying them ready painted but they are so expensive so will have to bite the bullet and go DIY.   :(
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

scottmitchell74

Quote from: whiteswan on March 02, 2014, 06:13:46 PM
After fitting lights to Bampney Village today I fitted the lights to Bampney Station and goods yard plus managed to finished painting the last of the 120 people in the Prieser unpainted figures set.  Almost worth buying them ready painted but they are so expensive so will have to bite the bullet and go DIY.   :(

You aren't kidding about the cost of people. At roughly a $1.00 per person it takes a lot to fill a scene.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Caz

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on March 02, 2014, 06:23:45 PM
Quote from: whiteswan on March 02, 2014, 06:13:46 PM

You aren't kidding about the cost of people. At roughly a $1.00 per person it takes a lot to fill a scene.

For my coaches I'm happy to use the cheap Chinese packets of people and repaint the most garishly painted ones but for station and town scenes you do need something better and as you say, 1 euro a person it gets very expensive.
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

scottmitchell74

So, have you had luck with those mega-packs from China? I've seen them on Ebay, but have always been afraid to pull the trigger on a purchase.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Caz

You can buy packets of just seated people which are great for using to populate coaches although some are painted very brightly so a quick touch up of the worst of them sorts that out but they are no good for outside scenes as the moulding quality is not great.
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Cutting away pieces of Sundeala so as to fit my tunnel mouths, which then resulted in me having to re-align the lower level main lines so as to fit through said tunnel mouths which meant altering those lines where they link into the hidden fiddle yard :doh:
Much vacuuming then followed, and somehow 3½ hours had vanished from my life :worried:
Still, it was a very pleasant afternoon for being in the conservatorymancave :)

Jameswgm

Two piece baseboard has been constructed and cork underlay cut and laid. First time I'd used a treadle to cut the cork with for the curves.

Points located, point motor and fixing holes have been drilled. Starting the flexi track laying process, it's sloooooow!

Bealman

Yeah, it is a slow process, but take your time.... pays dividends in the long run.

It's looking very good, by the way.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations