what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x2

Quote from: Oldman on August 14, 2013, 08:05:08 PM
Painting rolling stock in another scale :-X :-X :-X
I'm in the doghouse too - Designing a US HO switching shelf layout !  :whistle:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

johnlambert

Here's a photo of my handiwork.  A few more will be added to my layout thread in a moment.

Newportnobby

I've somehow managed to avoid my usual trick of turning perfectly good timber into sawdust and constructed a basic control panel. Although far from finished I am relatively pleased with it, having convinced myself that some small gaps are there for ventilation ;)

I have yet to apply paint then 6mm pinstriping tape to the lid which will then be covered with Perspex. Being an old DC fart, DPDT and push to make/break switches will be fitted into the panel on the track diagram as per the usual mimic board, along with the required fittings for changing the points with a Peco probe.

davieb

Looking good mick  :thumbsup:

You can never have too much ventilation when it comes to electrics  :hmmm:  :-\

Just remember not to spill your beer on it  :D

dave  :thumbsup:

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on August 15, 2013, 03:55:18 PM

I am a bit concerned about the two screws fixing the panel to the side frame.  I feel if you should accidently bump into the bottom of the panel then the two screws will just rip through the back panel.  Perhaps a couple of bolts going all the way through and a metal plate on the inside of the back panel would give it some extra strength.

Something along these lines  ;)

cheers John.

daveg

John's probably right, Mick. That is quite a large structure you have there. If you're anything like me, I'm always catching a corner of something as I walk passed with the bruises to prove it!  :(

The alternative to the plate perhaps would be to have a pair of 8" or 10" large L shape (shelf?) brackets behind the box attached to the board framework. Removes any chance of a short should a wire come loose.

Dave G

Newportnobby

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, but I have actually been somewhat cunning in that the screws are actually set into keyways i.e. the panel is fitted over the domed screws and then slid downwards into narrower channels. It is meant to be detachable for any necessary maintenance. :)

Sprintex

daveg

CarriageShed

That's a lovely bit of woodwork from Bodgem & Buggerit  :D  Kidding aside, it looks pretty good to me, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

:thumbsup:

Luke Piewalker

I got tired of being chained to a soldering iron and making a general mess of wiring, so lobbed my 101 on the inside track, then invoked rule 1 and got my 86 City of Carlisle, attached my rake of HAAs and sent it round the main line  :claphappy:

EtchedPixels

Rule 1 not really required

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/8598300422/#

Of course to have any *soul* you need a pair of 76s on the front of it
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Luke Piewalker

NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Oldman

Nothing N gauge at the moment apart from looking for CHEAP working loco's for their chassis.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations