what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

In stone it's not such a big deal - stones come in many sizes. Brick is a different matter. There are other sources of viaducts and IMHO the Scalescenes one is easier to build too.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

moogle

Just finished laying the decking on my pier.  :)
Planning the backscene now for painting.
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

ozzie Bill.

Trying to ballast. I hate ballasting. It sucks!! Did a load last week (by a load I mean about 3'), vacuumed up the excess and pretty much the whole lot came up. Perhaps a week wasn't enough time to dry! Nah, I just booboo'ed on the amount of glue etc and made an 'orrible mess. I have put a load more down today and will see what happens over the next few days. Cheers, Bill.

EtchedPixels

If you rub the ballast with your finger once dry and a lot is loose you can dunk another round of glue into it with less disruption.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Oldman

Getting through knife blades cutting 1mm plasticard.   1 1/2 sheets done ( 2 blades) Doing the easy bits first.
Started at 0900hrs

Currently on late breakfast break (poached egg on toast)

Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

barnyswain

Nothing now, tidied up and boxed stuff  :(

Just spent past 2 days laying 90' corner and 'quick' ballasting.  Cutting across join and wiring up.

Then polished rail and started tesing.

More testing.

More testing.

Testing involed running a train back and forth over the new bit.  Checking for smooth running etc.  Doing it at slower and slower speeds.  All good fun.

'Quick' ballasting you ask?  Well, the track gets glued in place with neat (or neatish) PVA.  It is weighed done (with chunky books in this case).  Before appling the books, ballast is spread (the glue is there so may as well use it!)  After leaving overnight the excess ballast is cleared away.

Success so I can move on to the other 90' corner. 

Barny

EtchedPixels

Laying the platform surface and some of the pavements on Planby. Using up the old Metcalfe embossed flagstone stuff I've got left around. Not brilliant but with a bit of weathering it'll look the part.

Oldman

Nothing on the layout to busy watching TT 2013 on ITV 4.just started.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Sprintex

Attempting to get countryside scenery to look something like realistic for the first time  :worried:

Paul

bigbob

Laying a new terminus section and cursing Peco for not making florescent IRJ`s!!  :veryangry:

4x2

Just started rewiring 'Black Sheep Lane' for exhibition use, it all worked fine but needed tidying up and the control panel moving from the side to the back.

Only trouble is... do you think i can find the bloody solder ???  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Oldman

Quote from: 4x2 on June 02, 2013, 10:00:52 PM
Only trouble is... do you think i can find the bloody solder ???  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
I can find the solder here  but the soldering iron- probably in the same place as your solder. 4 Rolls, 1.2mm, 0.7mm multicore (lead/tin, 16swg and 0.7mm leadfree.

daveg

Quote from: Oldman on June 02, 2013, 10:28:52 PM
Quote from: 4x2 on June 02, 2013, 10:00:52 PM
I can find the solder here  but the soldering iron- probably in the same place as your solder. 4 Rolls, 1.2mm, 0.7mm multicore (lead/tin, 16swg and 0.7mm leadfree.

You're not on your own, guys!

Every now and then I have to stop completely as I can't find anything:D

An hour or so spent 'tidying up' and putting kit in so-called logical places seems to be the answer for me - but it doesn't last long.  :doh:

Dave G

4x2

Found it !  :claphappy:

Fell down the back of the fridge...

I use the fridge as a work bench as it's at the perfect height , and cold beer is mere inches away !  :beers:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

longbridge

Building the scenery and buying supplies for my new British Living Museum layout "Spark Hill" which has a mix of Industry, a Colliery, Town with Trams and Trains.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations