What's up with RMweb recently?

Started by railsquid, December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

It's intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes all you're left with is an almost blank page and the inane popup video.

njee20

It's been really flaky for me again today.

Quote from: Moose2013 on January 20, 2022, 02:05:12 PM
Hmmm, Moose just visited RMWeb, perused some of the forum posts, and did not experience and issues with ads. Did experience some depression from seeing such skilled modelers' work, but no ad pop-ups, etc. Not sure what others here are experiencing...
:confused1:

The full screen popup ads are only on mobile I think; probably 1:5 page clicks. On desktop you get an annoying video in the RH margin.

Paddy

Quote from: njee20 on January 20, 2022, 04:07:03 PM

Hmmm, Moose just visited RMWeb, perused some of the forum posts, and did not experience and issues with ads. Did experience some depression from seeing such skilled modelers' work, but no ad pop-ups, etc. Not sure what others here are experiencing...

The full screen popup ads are only on mobile I think; probably 1:5 page clicks. On desktop you get an annoying video in the RH margin.

Mmm, well I get the popups and videos on my Windows 10 PCs, iPad and iPhone. Very annoying and frustrating.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Gordon

I find the video mildly irritating some days, but other days I rather enjoy watching the 'Minic motorway' type cars and the large ship serenely moving along the river

None of this stops me from viewing or posting the forum 
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

PaulCheffus

Hi

You can get your iPad to serve the desktop website then You only get the video which is easy enough to get rid of.

Click on the aA in the url entry window and select website settings then request desktop website.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

njee20

Quote from: Gordon on January 20, 2022, 04:29:08 PM

I find the video mildly irritating some days, but other days I rather enjoy watching the 'Minic motorway' type cars and the large ship serenely moving along the river

None of this stops me from viewing or posting the forum

Never said it did me, just that it's annoying, and I'd gladly pay a couple of quid a month to not have it. I don't get why they're dragging their feet so much on it.

tank63

The adverts really cheesed me off and like others have stated the site has slowed down that I've given up using it. Plus this web site is better for me everything I need is on here.

dannyboy

Quote from: tank63 on January 21, 2022, 07:09:53 PM
this web site is better for me everything I need is on here.

You know it makes sense.  :) :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

crewearpley40

The adverts really cheesed me off and like others have stated the site has slowed down that I've given up using it. Plus this web site is better for me everything I need is on here.
glad that you enjoy this forum and it's of use and help to you. Like me great for resources and help and made many friends

PaulCheffus

Quote from: njee20 on January 20, 2022, 07:31:32 PM
I don't get why they're dragging their feet so much on it.

Hi

Neither do I, though they are going to have to improve the experience before I part with money as yesterday and today I got lots of errors or cannot load content messages. If they are going to run it as a paid for service they need to fix the underlying issues.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Southerngooner

I had a look yesterday while using the Mac and couldn't really see any issues? I didn't get any pop ups apart from continually having to agree to cookies if I went back at any time. I still find the site a tad boring, rather like the magazine, which I find a bit sterile and written by a team rather than by "real" modellers (which I know they are, but not from the great unwashed!). I much prefer Railway Modeller (other magazines are of course available .....).

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

jmupton2000

I agree the no advert Gold Lite membership version that has long been promised is the way forward for RMWeb but this has now had more waiting time than a Dapol Class 59 it seems.  In the meantime those who have not initiated an armada of adblockers just to make the site readable (and/or have no interest in the Gold subscription version) are probably being driven away from the forum.

In the meantime, any genuine attempt to enquire as to what is going on results in immediate closure of the thread, often without explanation and I expect the result is that slowly, more and more existing and potentially new members are gradually ebbing away.

Southerngooner

Ah, the penny has dropped! I have ad blockers on all devices so I don't get the issue. I only use one on each device though, and it seems OK on each

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Richard Taylor

Quote from: Southerngooner on January 22, 2022, 08:37:42 AM
I still find the site a tad boring, rather like the magazine

I can't speak for the magazine (don't take it, and like others would prefer to pay directly for the forum) but the "site" isn't an authored website, it's a forum. So whether it's boring or not is down to the contributors, not the moderators or site owners. I find it a useful resource, provided you learn to tune out the odd regular "club bore" contributor (the ignore user button is sometimes a god-send!)

I agree that sometimes the moderation can look a bit heavy-handed, but having seen how some posters to RMWeb can take the  p&!s if left unmoderated then I can't blame them for occasionally erring on the side of caution, and inevitably sometimes they get it wrong, as they are only human.

As for adverts, I access it generally via Safari on my iPhone.  When clicking through from the index to a topic I get a full screen advert about one in every five times. Hit the "x" and it disappears. Frankly, I can live with that.

Richard

richmodels

100% agree - there's a couple or 3 threads I shall continue to follow over there with interest, but that's yer lot
Frequent railway modeller, and infrequent n gauge modelling blogger

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations