Are we over the Golden Age of N Gauge?

Started by Rabbitaway, March 27, 2018, 09:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Sound, constant lighting, various forms of automated control including automated block systems (as an attempt at solving the problem of having more than one train running independently on the same stretch of track).

Bealman

Interesting!! Particularly the automated blocks.

However, at first glance, it would seem simpler to just go DCC.

Nevertheless, I could use such systems on my ancient DC layout!  :thumbsup:

Ben A

Quote from: railsquid on January 17, 2019, 05:07:42 AMJapanese N gauge certainly goes from strength to strength in all areas (except maybe DCC, where the emphasis seems to be coming up with non-DCC systems which replicate some parts of DCC functionality).

Hi all,

Yes, although I don't collect Japanese models I follow developments there with interest, and weekly notifications from one major retailer about new models invariably feature many dozens of new items.

I have always wondered why the Japanese have not embraced DCC more fully, especially given their more general appetite for other sophisticated consumer electronics and for miniaturisation.

Any Japanese, or Japan-resident, forum members able to elaborate?

Cheers

Ben A.

Bealman

The Japanese can be very old fashioned. My daughter has just returned from 18 months working there and we visited her last May.

They are very cash orientated, which totally surprised me. It's paper, not cards there!

However, I'll hand over to railsquid (who we spent a very enjoyable night with in a couple of pubs in Tokyo) to elaborate!  :thumbsup:

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Ben A on January 17, 2019, 08:28:17 AM
I have always wondered why the Japanese have not embraced DCC more fully, especially given their more general appetite for other sophisticated consumer electronics and for miniaturisation.

Yes, that's always mystified me. Robot everything but model trains ;)

njee20

Yep, another one who vaguely follows what's coming out, but remain mystified by their staunch resistance to DCC! It's a pain too, getting Tomix and Kato to push DCC technology would undoubtedly have wider benefits for us all!

joe cassidy

I believe people still send hand-written faxes on old-fashioned fax machines that use thermal paper in Japan ?

red_death

Mr Kato admitted that they hadn't fully appreciated the importance of DCC and that they were lagging behind on DCC.

Cheers, Mike

Snowwolflair

Quote from: red_death on January 17, 2019, 12:25:54 PM
Mr Kato admitted that they hadn't fully appreciated the importance of DCC and that they were lagging behind on DCC.

Cheers, Mike

At least almost all kato motors are independent of chassis and are easy to DCC convert so when they do catch up it's going to be less of a task.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: railsquid on January 17, 2019, 07:17:20 AM
Sound, constant lighting, various forms of automated control including automated block systems (as an attempt at solving the problem of having more than one train running independently on the same stretch of track).

Constant lighting systems for DC have been around since the 70s (at least), involving a high frequency AC component superimposed on the track and blocking capacitors in the locos. 

Automated block control has been around for many decades, and arguably that's easier to do with DC than DCC. The "brake on DC" support in some DCC decoders is quite neat though, giving smooth stops and starts.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

acko22

Hi All,

I does make me giggle a bit the fact that we ALL moan about something in the hobby, then this comes out Japanese which is arguably the single biggest N gauge Market going is behind us in one respect that been DCC.
So while we all moan and complain, we can look on the bright side in at least one aspect we may be ahead in one respect!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

emjaybee

The Japanese may be proved very smart. Come the robot uprising they'll still be able to buy models and run them without fear of them being hijacked.

:-X
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

railsquid

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 17, 2019, 12:39:57 PM
Quote from: railsquid on January 17, 2019, 07:17:20 AM

Constant lighting systems for DC have been around since the 70s (at least), involving a high frequency AC component superimposed on the track and blocking capacitors in the locos. 

Automated block control has been around for many decades, and arguably that's easier to do with DC than DCC. The "brake on DC" support in some DCC decoders is quite neat though, giving smooth stops and starts.

Yes, the difference is here these are available as part of a family of integrated components, particularly from Tomix.

Methinks what it boils down to is that the Japanese market is addicted to cheap reliable DC trains and is not willing to shell out a comparatively much greater proportion of the purchase price (compared to say British motive power units) for DCC, which in most cases won't bring much extra functionality useful for typical Japanese railway operations (both real and in model form), which are comparatively simple and largely multiple-unit/block train based. Or put it another way, for a lot of people, operation consists of running trains round and round in circles and moving them to/from sidings.

railsquid

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 17, 2019, 11:31:06 AM
I believe people still send hand-written faxes on old-fashioned fax machines that use thermal paper in Japan ?

One hears these anecdotes about Japan, which may have been partially or largely true 10 or 20 or 30 years ago...
Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on January 17, 2019, 09:19:59 AM

Quote from: Ben A on January 17, 2019, 08:28:17 AM

Yes, that's always mystified me. Robot everything but model trains ;)

I'm at a bit of a loss to think when I've actually seen a"'robot" (outside of a gimmicky demonstration); I should point out that anime/manga are not actual depictions of everyday life in Japan :D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations