Can i run a chipped loco on DC?

Started by bbdave, February 15, 2012, 02:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbdave

Hi i'm looking at a second hand loco that is used on a DCC layout can i just put it on and run it on my DC layout?

Dave

poliss

Can't say without knowing the make and type of decoder. While most will work on DC there is at least one 6 pin decoder that is DCC only.

edwin_m

Some decoders won't work with DC controllers that supply pulsed power, and it is certainly not a good idea to run a decoder-fitted loco on a layout that has a high voltage track cleaner (Relco etc).  There is also a setting in the decoder that inhibits running on DC and if this is switched off you need to find somebody with a DCC system to turn it back on. 

poliss

bbdave

So could i just un plug the decoder?

Dave

Dock Shunter

Quote from: bbdave on February 15, 2012, 04:25:27 PM
So could i just un plug the decoder?

Dave

If the decoder is a NEM 651 6 Pin you will need to fit a blanking plug to run the loco on DC

bbdave

Starting to sound complicated so i'll just make sure i but DC locos

Dave

poliss

Nothing complicated. If you put it on your DC layout and it goes you don't have to do anything. If it doesn't go, you pull out the decoder and push a blanking plug in place. Then you sell the decoder on Ebay and make some money.
It's easier, in my opinion, than wiring a DC layout.

bluedepot

what loco are you going to buy?

maybe the seller can send you the blanking plug, if so you can just unplug the decoder and plug in the blanking plug... should be easy to do.

so what decoders can work also on dc?

tim

poliss

AFAIK the only decoder that doesn't work on DC is the Bachmann one.

Jack

The other thing to think about is the CV relating to DC been switched off or not?

I've got two Bachmann chips, I wouldn't recommend them. I just use them for new loco's/DMU's until I've got hold of some TCS ones.

Jack
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Newportnobby

Quote from: bluedepot on February 15, 2012, 05:41:15 PM

so what decoders can work also on dc?

tim

Hi Tim - I run a Peco Collett 22xx steamer on DC and as far as I know the Lenz decoder recognises which source is being used - DC or DCC. No faffing required.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: bbdave on February 15, 2012, 05:22:45 PM
Starting to sound complicated so i'll just make sure i but DC locos

Dave

Dave there is no problem buying new DCC ready  locos as they will have a blanking plug inserted and run on DC straight out of the box.Some DCC Ready locos have a PCB board to solder on a decoder but these will also run on DC straight out of the box.

bbdave

It's second hand DCC locos i was thinking of

Dave

kirky

Dave if you need the blanking plug because the loco doesn't come with one, chances are there will be someone here with a spare one. Im fairly sure all the Farish onesare the same whatever loco, and the same too for Dapol. I;m not sure they even need to be plugged in the right way round like decoders do, they just act as a jumper as far as I know.
If it is a farish or dapol loco chances are I have a blanking plug you can have. PM me.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations