Which DSLR Camera To Buy?

Started by dannyboy, November 26, 2020, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red_death

Quote from: Bigmac on November 27, 2020, 06:15:23 PM
It used to make me laugh when i worked at the local steam railway....the sheer number of male tourist visitors strutting round with their digital housebrick hanging on a long strap round their neck,  with an enormous zoom lens poking out of it. They rarely took any snaps.

I resemble that remark! But there is a degree of logic behind it - as my photography has got better I don't feel the need to shoot off hundreds of snaps.

Smartphone cameras and point & shoot types are brilliant until you actually need the control that only an SLR (or some of the best P&S compacts eg Sony Rx100/ Canon G series etc) typically provides.  When you are in low light or have a fast moving subject then being able to set aperture/shutter speed etc, fast focusing and have good ISO performance starts to become much more useful.

Horses for courses - I quite happily take my phone or compact when I can't be bothered to carry round the SLR (or when it won't be necessary).

Cheers Mike

Mr Sprue

I bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 a few years back, its been an absolutely great camera for the more serious stuff, records great videos as well.

Anything for snapshots I just use my Samsung phone, which takes really good pictures!

Trainfish

Quote from: red_death on November 27, 2020, 06:32:10 PM
Smartphone cameras and point & shoot types are brilliant until you actually need the control that only an SLR (or some of the best P&S compacts eg Sony Rx100/ Canon G series etc) typically provides.  When you are in low light or have a fast moving subject then being able to set aperture/shutter speed etc, fast focusing and have good ISO performance starts to become much more useful.

Cheers Mike

I agree 100%. I used to do a lot at Santa Pod and there's no way you would be able to take pictures like I did without overriding the automatic settings. Panning in particular took a lot of setting up and if I got 5 useable sellable picturres from a 36 exposure reel I was over the moon. I'm sure I have some of those pictures somewhere still. Unfortunately they never look as good once you scan them though. I suppose what you are doing is in effect taking a digital photo of the original.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

joe cassidy

Quote from: Trainfish on November 27, 2020, 09:39:06 PM
I used to do a lot at Santa Pod

Santa Pod.

Is that where they do drag racing  :D

Trainfish

Oh gawd, yes it is as it happens. I left myself wide open there didn't I?  :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

dannyboy

Thanks to everybody who gave their thoughts and remyn remmin remanis memories - it is appreciated. I have gone and bought the Canon EOS M50, so, some learning to do!  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Trainfish

Please don't tell me you bought that awful looking white one though?  :doh:
John

<*))))><

dannyboy

Quote from: Trainfish on November 28, 2020, 01:10:00 PM
Please don't tell me you bought that awful looking white one though?  :doh:

Okay, I won't tell you I bought the awful looking white one ............. cos I bought the black one.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: dannyboy on November 28, 2020, 12:54:23 PM
Thanks to everybody who gave their thoughts and remyn remmin remanis memories - it is appreciated. I have gone and bought the Canon EOS M50, so, some learning to do!  :)

Good camera's the EOS I still have a 35mm. Fit a 28 x 200 lens to it and you can take pictures of pilots faces flying in their aircraft at air shows!   :)

Trainfish

Phew!  :thumbsup:

I'm sure you will be happy with it. I have a 1300D which I have thought about updating but with the lack of use these days it just doesn't warrant it. Good luck with it and yes, there will be a lot to learn. I also have an IXUS 700 which I used for underwater photography with the genuine waterproof case of course. Not been able to use that for a while though since we had the bath taken out  :(
John

<*))))><

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Trainfish on November 28, 2020, 01:30:03 PM
I also have an IXUS 700 which I used for underwater photography with the genuine waterproof case of course. Not been able to use that for a while though since we had the bath taken out  :(

That sounds interesting, what sort of things have you been taking pictures of?  :hmmm:

On second thoughts seeing you standing there in that superwoman outfit, don't bother answering !  :D

Trainfish

Hopefully this explains all. We only have a walk-in shower now so can't do this any more. The fish had to go  :'(

John

<*))))><

Markthetog

Quote from: dannyboy on November 28, 2020, 12:54:23 PM

That's great news, the M50 is a lovely piece of kit and will do you proud. I had a play with one when it first came out courtesy of a friend who is a reviewer for one of the Camera Mags. Great performance and being mirrorless means it's less of a brick to cart around! I may love my Full Frame DSLRs but wherever possible I go mirrorless with a fixed lens (zooming in means walking forward!) and I know several huge names (eg: Trevor and Faye Yerbury have photographed the Queen) who have dumped all their DSLRs & Medium format kit in favour of Mirrorless APS C cameras so don't ever think of your EOS as being a lesser option.

I know several Fora where your question would have sparked a "lively debate" leading to challenges of duels, toys thrown out of prams and handbags at dawn. It is a testament to Railway Modellers that everyone was so helpful and constructive.

Happy snapping!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations