'Thingie' bolts... Solved!!!!!

Started by Zogbert Splod, August 05, 2015, 05:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zogbert Splod

I don't know the best place to post this, so, here goes...
I need to get around 20(ish) of these:

It is a small bolt (with associated nut/washer) which is used to mount a 'D'-sub connector.  The internal threading accepts the hold down screws from the 'D'-sub shell.

Question 1:  What is the correct name for these things? (hard to Google without knowing!)
Question 2:  Does anyone know where I can buy them at sensible prices?  (found them listed (wrongly) as socket screws on a site but they wanted £7.18 a pair for them!!!)
Question 3:  I did manage to stumble across them on one website but they had no name attached to them - just a part number.  The question is where can I get them in quantities that make sense. (I don't need a bag of 250!) I need around 20-24 of these items - 10-12 pairs.

Any assistance will get you an entry in my book of super heroes.

Regards, Allan.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

austinbob

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on August 05, 2015, 05:10:41 PM
I don't know the best place to post this, so, here goes...
I need to get around 20(ish) of these:

It is a small bolt (with associated nut/washer) which is used to mount a 'D'-sub connector.  The internal threading accepts the hold down screws from the 'D'-sub shell.

Question 1:  What is the correct name for these things? (hard to Google without knowing!)
Question 2:  Does anyone know where I can buy them at sensible prices?  (found them listed (wrongly) as socket screws on a site but they wanted £7.18 a pair for them!!!)
Question 3:  I did manage to stumble across them on one website but they had no name attached to them - just a part number.  The question is where can I get them in quantities that make sense. (I don't need a bag of 250!) I need around 20-24 of these items - 10-12 pairs.

Any assistance will get you an entry in my book of super heroes.

Regards, Allan.....
Here's a possibility Allan. If it's not exactly want you want it may help you find what you want.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Screwlock-Assemblies-63733
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

You mean female screwlocks, probably M3 ... ?
[url][/http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connectors/connector-tools-accessories/connector-screws-nuts/?searchTerm=screwlockurl]

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Luke Piewalker

I'm sure I've got a bag of those... somewhere...  :doh:

petercharlesfagg

Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Zogbert Splod

Got 'em on order!

Huge thanx to all who responded.  They are so easy to find once you know what they are called...  :smiley-laughing:

I have now opened a second page in the Super Heroes book since there are so many of you.

:thankyousign: :thankyousign: :thankyousign:

Regards, Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

MikeDunn

Quote from: austinbob on August 05, 2015, 05:48:02 PM
You got your link a bit screwed up Mike (Xcuse pun)
Groan ...  :smackedface:

Cheers for that - the perils of quickly pasting when called down for tea !

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 05, 2015, 07:03:08 PM

Been there, done it and got the tea shirt as they say.
:beers:

Bob Austin

Zogbert Splod

When I got the responses above to my question about 'thingie' bolts I became intrigued by the one which referred to RS.  (Radio Spares)
My experience with them in the past was always good but they only dealt with account holders and to get an account you had to accept a visit from a rep and supply references etc. etc...  What a difference now!  A quick look on the website showed me a stack of items I had been looking for and at good prices.  I finally placed my order at 6:30 last night.  Everything was in my hands before 11:00am today.
If you are looking for electrical bits, electronics or tools, don't hesitate to check them out...

Regards, Allan.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

MikeDunn

Yeah, RS are decent ... I tend to use either them or Farnell ... between them, they almost always have what I'm after.

Bealman

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 05, 2015, 07:03:08 PM

Well I hope tea was ok and you didn't get a pasting there as well  ;) :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Malc

Just a cautionary note Allan, if you are using Sony kit, their D type jack posts are a different thread to everyone else's jack posts. They use UNF, not metric threads. Found this out the hard way.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Zogbert Splod

I'm not as it happens. But thanx.  That's so silly ain't it?
So, these things are about as standard as the dreaded RS232 then. That was only standard till HP and IBM produced their own versions of it...
Lovely!

Planning thread:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations