Is this the same Class?

Started by Oldun, May 02, 2014, 12:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldun

New loco from GF to be released soon. Claims to be an N Class 2-6-0.

Check out their picture and the real thing. Is it my imagination or are
the cylinders completely different :hmmm:

GF version  :unimpressed:

The real thing.

The GF ones seem to be flat sided and the two cylinders the same diameter,
whereas the real one has a small top cylinder - large bottom cylinder giving
inwards slope at the top :-\

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Steven B

There's a picture of 31844 about a third of the way down this page
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page35.htm

- the cylinders are as per the Farish model.

31822 as per the photo in the OP's message is a class N1 - note the distinct step in the footplate just behind the front buffer beam and different smoke deflectors as a result:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_N_class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_N1_class

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Don't panic, the model is of an N, whilst your pro to photo is an N1 - slightly different class.

dodger

The N1 was a 3 cylinder version of the 2 cylinder N class specifically for the Hastings route. The N1 had smaller cylinders which reduced the overall width so complying with the Hastings line load gauge.

Dodger

Oldun

Quote from: Steven B on May 02, 2014, 01:02:49 PM
There's a picture of 31844 about a third of the way down this page
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page35.htm

- the cylinders are as per the Farish model.

31822 as per the photo in the OP's message is a class N1 - note the distinct step in the footplate just behind the front buffer beam and different smoke deflectors as a result:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_N_class
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SECR_N1_class

Quote from: dodger on May 02, 2014, 01:58:26 PM
The N1 was a 3 cylinder version of the 2 cylinder N class specifically for the Hastings route. The N1 had smaller cylinders which reduced the overall width so complying with the Hastings line load gauge.

Thank you very much gentlemen  :thumbsup:

That's one I will not be buying then. The picture I posted of the engine shed is
the one I am modelling my entire 'layout' on and would like to stock it with the
'correct' class of loco's as far as possible. :)

:hmmm: Any one know if an N1 is available  :pleasesign:

Roger

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Oldun

:doh: Sorry for the double posting above but, there was a hiccup with the forum
connection. Pressed 'preview' and got 'error 500' notice. Went back to reply window
and pressed 'post' - result = 2 postings  :-[

Roger

Duplicate now removed

Karhedron

Quote from: Oldun on May 02, 2014, 02:49:57 PM
That's one I will not be buying then. The picture I posted of the engine shed is
the one I am modelling my entire 'layout' on and would like to stock it with the

:hmmm: Any one know if an N1 is available  :pleasesign:

Sorry, the N1 is not available RTR (not sure if there is a kit of it). You may wish to consider your layout plan in light of the available stock. I am not sure if any of the locos in that picture are available RTR (Union Mills might do one two).

I understand the appeal of recreating a particular scene in model form but unless you are capable and prepared to do a lot of scratch-building, you may find this shot a struggle. I don't wish to disuade you, just make sure you are aware of the scale of the task.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Oldun

Sorry, the N1 is not available RTR (not sure if there is a kit of it). You may wish to consider your layout plan in light of the available stock. I am not sure if any of the locos in that picture are available RTR (Union Mills might do one two).
I understand the appeal of recreating a particular scene in model form but unless you are capable and prepared to do a lot of scratch-building, you may find this shot a struggle. I don't wish to disuade you, just make sure you are aware of the scale of the task.

Thanks for the above info, I think I may get away with using an N class in place of the N1 (Rule 1 :) ) seeing as its only
a 'refinement' in its design  ::)

Roger

Dorsetmike

You could always do a little hacking, reshape the cylinders and build up the front end of the footplate!

OR by fitting a set of scale 6' driving wheels & adding small splashers make a U or U1.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

dodger

Quote from: Oldun on May 02, 2014, 02:49:57 PM

Roger

I wouldn't worry about half the N's were allocated to the Eastern Section in the 1950's and were much more numerous than the N1's.

If I have guessed correctly Gillingham had 2 N's allocated to it, with one diagram,  in the late 50's.  My diagrams for winter 1957 show 6 N's going onto Gillingham shed daily including the local one plus another working to Gillingham yard but no N1's. My guess the N1 in your photo is covering the diagram of another class, possibly an N.

Dodger

Oldun

Quote from: Dorsetmike on May 02, 2014, 06:58:28 PM
You could always do a little hacking, reshape the cylinders and build up the front end of the footplate!

I think I may/will have to, and re number it 31822.

From 'RailUK' site.

31822 Introduced 1922. Maunsell 3-cylinder development of Class N for the South East & Chatham Railway (SECR). Classification 4MT.

Roger

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £5.67
Below Goal: £94.33
Site Currency: GBP
 6%
May Donations