Started by cloughie, February 26, 2012, 10:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloughie

comments please on these ash pits I put together

am I there yet

davieb

hi cloughie  :wave:

looking good  8)

if you don't mind me asking how did you do the ash effect as its something i'm after doing on my layout

i can see that you started with the peco inspection pits i have tried but came nowhere near the effect you have created there  :-[

dave  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Great work, Cloughie, and very realistic. :thumbsup:
Now we know where you knock your pipe out :smiley-laughing:

cloughie

dave
I saved all me fag ash and stuck some talc in piles, then got some cheap and nasty hair spray and gently sprayed thin coats on from a distance of about 6 inch, put to much on at one go and it goes all soggy, get to close with the hair spray and it ends up in your mush so wear eye protection and hold your breath

cloughie
am I there yet

davieb

Quote from: cloughie on February 26, 2012, 10:38:24 AM
dave
I saved all me fag ash and stuck some talc in piles, then got some cheap and nasty hair spray and gently sprayed thin coats on from a distance of about 6 inch, put to much on at one go and it goes all soggy, get to close with the hair spray and it ends up in your mush so wear eye protection and hold your breath

cloughie

:smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

never thought of that one  :-[  ::)

i will have to start saving me fag ash
i had thought of asking for some ash from the ribble steam railway the next time i visit then crushing it
this will save me the hassle of making a mess everywhere  ::)

maybe you could start selling your fag ash as a landscaping material  ;D  :evil:

thanks for that tip

dave  :thumbsup:

Alex

Hi cloughie,

Very realistic indeed, well done :thumbsup:

Alex :wave:

Irish Padre

polo2k

I saw this on you tube the other day and coulnt figure out why... but now ive seen this thread

http://youtu.be/VoBGau9623I

PS, dont forget kids, smoking is BAAAD!
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

jyoungs

:thumbsup: Hi Cloughie, love it ! if you don`t mind I`ll do my best to copy that - its just the effect I am looking for ! do you think it would work as a scatter material around the track as well ? (or maybe pile some ballast up and spread some ash over the top) anyway I`ll be saving my ash from now on - thanks for a great idea.                regards, jon :      A1Tornado:

Kipper

There's nothing new in railway modelling, is there. I remember as a kid, we often had "fag ash on line" problems, as the whole family smoked (late 50's), and would have a droopy length of ash always ready to fall off, just as they leant over the track.

Irish Padre

Not sure if this is an issue or not with fag ash but I know that using real ash from loco sheds can cause corrosion issues if not treated properly. But if it's all sealed in with hairspray you're probably ok!!  :smiley-laughing:

cloughie

Jon, fill yer boots or your ash pits ???, it took me a bit to get the mix of fag ash and talc powder right but I am happy with it :)
am I there yet

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations