You never know what will turn up.

Started by Cypherus, May 22, 2016, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypherus

Well it's been one of those days you only get occasionally in life,  Happy was I sitting there sticking bits of plastic card together when my eldest Son mooched in as usual, you know the thing, Creeping Jesus all the woes of the world on his young shoulders but today his burden seemed more than he could carry alone, at least from his car to my desk that is because with a resounding thud more than a foot high pile of magazines landed, 'The rest is in me boot, git em if ya wants em.' he muttered and sloped off.

He's done this before mind you but in the past it has been utter garbage he cannot be bothered to take to the trash can and recycle so I'm now faced with this dusty pile and wondering how much more he has stashed away 'In me boot.'.

Five minutes later saw me racing outside to find out and sure enough 'is boot' was stacked high with books and chronicles a rare gold mine of treasures, what led me to react this way, Well I only got hold of the top few magazines from the pile on the desk, 'Model Railways Constructor', January through to December 1959, Cost price at the time, 1s 9d, today's price to me at least, priceless.

Books by the dozen from that era, all in mint condition and what appears to be a full series from David  Kline, former Dept head of BBC model and special effects, going the take me weeks to go through this lot, were did he obtain them from, seems one of his chums had been given them by an elderly relative but seeing no value in them passed them on to the next willing chump that would move them for him I guess.

Anyone for a 'Britannia' In BR Green livery For £6 2s 6d of a Class V in Green or Black for £5 15s 6d. Post inclusive,  Both with 6 months free servicing.......I wish.

Komata

It's amazing what the kids bring home isn't it (and no, I'm not talking about 'significant others'; another story).  I've been the recipient of similar 'largess' over the years (including a very special brick [literally; a long story]) ; from ones who would never give you the time of day should you ever pass-by when walking down the High Street.

It seems that they actually DO care about us but will never say 'cos that would be soooo uncool... :) 

(Great story BTW; enjoy the experience :) )
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

railsquid

All I get from my son are slobber-covered Duplo-style blocks and various other items. Mind you he is only 16 months old and seems to think I am the Coolest Person in the Universe. Don't suppose that will last for ever though ;)

Bealman

Don't knock the Duplo blocks.... one of our members recently used them as tunnel supports!

See, now I betcha can't wait for him to grow out of them  :D

I have buckets full of them, by the way  :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Unfortunately it seems my son wishes the blocks to be returned to him ASAP as they have not completed the necessary course of saliva treatment.

Newportnobby

Just goes to show from the OP that kids can be useful for something, rather than just emptying the Bank of Mum & Dad ::)

Webbo

I don't think kids are useful for very much except for using up mum's and dad's resources, causing a great deal of anxiety, spreading diseases, and making a mess. It's a good thing the parents's hormones kick in the way they do to forgive and love it all. Otherwise, the human race would die out in one generation.

The last question by Cypherus referring to the Britannia and black and green class 5 sounds suspiciously like a reference to Trix Twin locomotives of the late 50s. Trix Twin had been manufacturing train sets since the 1930s in Britain and Germany, but these 3 metal locos were manufactured to 1:80 scale (i.e. in between HO and OO scales) along with Warship (Vanguard) and EM1 locos.

Webbo 

Cypherus

Children only maintain there status up until the point they can promote you to be manager of 'The Bank of Dad'. Thank god i just retired from that post.... :claphappy:

deibid

Quote from: Bealman on May 23, 2016, 06:25:38 AM
Don't knock the Duplo blocks.... one of our members recently used them as tunnel supports!

See, now I betcha can't wait for him to grow out of them  :D

I have buckets full of them, by the way  :-[

Yep, one of them  :laughabovepost:
And happy ever since...  :D
Next station...

Webbo

Question for Cypherus:

I assume those prices you quoted in your first post on this thread are prices for locos from a previous era? Anything to do with Trix Twin or am I barking up the wrong tree once again?

In Australia we had something called Builda-Brix when I was a kid.  http://www.collectingbooksandmagazines.com/bilda.html  Something like Duplo I gather that can also be used as tunnel supports and placed in the mouth.

Webbo

Zogbert Splod

Am I right? I seem to remember that Duplo is a larger form of Lego, from the same company. This makes me wonder - I already use Lego as a very accurate right angle former when I am assembling card buildings. It's easy to make up a pair of right angle formers, one inner and one outer, to hold pieces in the correct location while glue dries. A selection of blocks makes fitting the former to the structure quite simple. As an extra, the glue used doesn't stick too well to the Lego plastic so there is not a big problem removing the former in the event of a slight over use. I use rubber bands and spring clamps to hold it all together while the glue dries.

https://education.lego.com/en-au/about-us/lego-education-worldwide/making-lego-bricks

"The moulds used in production are accurate to within five my (=0.005mm) and this accuracy means than only 18 elements in every million products fail to meet the high quality standard." - That'll do for me!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

railsquid

Oooooh... now do I still have my Lego?

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: railsquid on May 25, 2016, 05:40:39 PM
Oooooh... now do I still have my Lego?
I bought a bag of 2x2's and a bag of 2x4's on ebay. My kids are well past the stage where I could have gone and 'borrowed' some from them. I don't remember them being around when I was a sprog.....
Lovely!

Planning thread:

I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

railsquid

Your kids or the Lego? ;)

If I do have my old stuff, some of it will have bite marks due to the tightly fitting precision nature of the blocks.

Zogbert Splod

Lovely!

Planning thread:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations