Yahoo!!

Started by port perran, February 04, 2014, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Could try an e-mail client?

Up until recently I was using MS Outlook as I had full Office on my laptop, but now I've got a funky new one I'll have to find something else. Mrs Sprintex has been using the online version of Outlook on hers for a while, seems OK so far and we both have BT e-mail accounts :)

Paul

daveg

Never did like the BT Yahoo set up. My dad had it and it was a real PITA. Could have been driver error I suppose!

Yahoo: Same over here George. The new format is poo compared with the simple, easy to use earlier version. Silly 'conversation' rubbish.

Why do software people do this to stuff that works fine?  :veryangry: It's not that we don't want or like change but not just for its own sake. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! 

(You'll find me under table with me tin hat on!  :uneasy:)

Dave G

ParkeNd

If software people didn't make these changes then they couldn't call us idiots and talk about us behind our backs for using the Helpdesk at work.

Can't make up my mind if the Yahoo change is to direct us to their adverts like some form of cold calling or an overblown concern about security. If the latter then really important people like celebrities need it more than I do.

scotsoft

I recently changed over to gmail after having problems with my previous email client.

I have found it great to use and it offers a range of services  e.g. video chat, text chat etc.

I stopped using Yahoo after it was continually being hacked and causing a lot of problems.

cheers John.

hairygit

Hmm, gmail, there was a bit of a furore on a motorcycle group I belong to about google "reading" people's e-mails in order to target advertising at them, that is well out of order! :veryangry: I've had no problems with yahoo mail in more than 10 years of being with them, my mrs has a gmail account, only gave it to 3 family members, and is constantly bombarded with junk e-mails from all kinds of companies, and the only way they could get her details was from google :o
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

Newportnobby

Suffering from slow performance and plenty of 'Yahoo is not responding' this morning but then again everything seems to be haywire including trying to get Radio 2 :confused1:

scotsoft

Quote from: hairygit on February 05, 2014, 10:39:39 AM
Hmm, gmail, there was a bit of a furore on a motorcycle group I belong to about google "reading" people's e-mails in order to target advertising at them, that is well out of order! :veryangry: I've had no problems with yahoo mail in more than 10 years of being with them, my mrs has a gmail account, only gave it to 3 family members, and is constantly bombarded with junk e-mails from all kinds of companies, and the only way they could get her details was from google :o

I don't receive any junk mail on my gmail account, I did on the other accounts I have had in the past.
I only went to gmail as I was getting nowhere with the last crowd I was using, I was wary of their privacy policy but I went through it a gave them no permissions to do anything with my email address.  I always decline to be sent any offers or be contacted by third parties.  Perhaps you need to have a look at the settings you wife has setup.

cheers John.

GeeBee

Quote from: scotsoft on February 05, 2014, 11:30:26 AM
Quote from: hairygit on February 05, 2014, 10:39:39 AM

I don't receive any junk mail on my gmail account, I did on the other accounts I have had in the past.
I only went to gmail as I was getting nowhere with the last crowd I was using, I was wary of their privacy policy but I went through it a gave them no permissions to do anything with my email address.  I always decline to be sent any offers or be contacted by third parties.  Perhaps you need to have a look at the settings you wife has setup.

cheers John.

I use gmail and having spent 15 minutes setting everything to no permissions all is fine, I just have a quick look in the spam folder once a week to check that nothing I need got filed there, no problem with that
Graham
:wave:

Kipper

I have an old, alternative web email with supanet.com, which came with my first "proper" computer. I give the address to people I do not want cluttering up my daily inbox. Main problem is it is so, so slow as a web mail - but then I only look at it once a month. Also have an old sky email as well, for similar uses, also very slow.

Bealman

Quote from: daveg on February 05, 2014, 10:02:30 AM
Never did like the BT Yahoo set up. My dad had it and it was a real PITA. Could have been driver error I suppose!

Yahoo: Same over here George. The new format is poo compared with the simple, easy to use earlier version. Silly 'conversation' rubbish.

Why do software people do this to stuff that works fine?  :veryangry: It's not that we don't want or like change but not just for its own sake. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! 

(You'll find me under table with me tin hat on!  :uneasy:)

Dave G
Quote from: ParkeNd on February 05, 2014, 10:11:39 AM
If software people didn't make these changes then they couldn't call us idiots and talk about us behind our backs for using the Helpdesk at work.

Can't make up my mind if the Yahoo change is to direct us to their adverts like some form of cold calling or an overblown concern about security. If the latter then really important people like celebrities need it more than I do.
Sounds like your new version is the same as ours, then. Yeah... all 'conversations' and those pesky adverts down the side (more often than not dating clubs). I don't like the horrible wishy washy colours, either, nor the fact that it doesn't divide the inbox up into pages any more (at least mine doesn't)....

I could go on and on. If it works, don't fix it, I say. There was nowt wrong with the old one.

Glad to see there are others who feel the same way.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Kipper

Yahoo mail seems to have gone walkabout again this evening. Can get into Yahoo web page, sign in and hover over mail button, and list of mails drops down. Clicking on any mail results in grey safari page telling me that cannot connect to yahoo as server is having problems. Macmail gives same result.

jonclox

Its back and mail is coming through or at least was 15 minutes ago
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Kipper

Cheers John. Went back and found two messages - both from NGF re thread updates!!!!!!

jonclox

:claphappy: Its up and working well this morning (so far)
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP