Calling audiophiles

Started by BobB, Today at 05:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanW and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

BobB

When I was looking for a mini Hi-Fi last year (for Christmas) some YouTube reviews of different makes and models referred to the speakers "settling in" or "burning in" before their true sound quality could be determined. Now I'm looking for a set of (over-ear) headphones and again several reviews talk about devices "settling down" with time to appreciate the sound quality.

Is this an actual thing that happens with all devices, is it something that us ordinary listeners will not notice; or is it a myth that encourages debate amongst experts ?

If it actually happens I wonder about the value of listening to anything in the shop before choosing which model to buy !

Please help educate me !

Firstone18

I have never heard of this before! In you shoes I would take a cynical view of this claim unless I could find some, what I considered to be unbiased, evidence. My son-in-law is a sound engineer, so I will ask him his opinion as I'm now curious.
Cheers
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

Bealman

I'm going with the myth theory.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Malc

A freshly made speaker will have a tight suspension, but before it leaves the factory, it will be tested and the suspension will have settled in 2 or 3 seconds.
In my youth I could hear getting on for 20khz. Nowadays, I'm lucky if the tinnitus allows me to hear 10khz. I used to have expensive Quad hifi, but now I use a Sony compact system.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

ntpntpntp

Like any component with moving parts things need to settle in.  I can imagine the diaphragm and the glue which secures it will stretch and soften a tiny amount at first.  Demo speakers and headphones in a shop have probably been through such "running-in" :)

Whether anyone really can tell the difference I don't know - I think a lot of it is audiophiles trying to justify themselves and their supposed expertise/opinion.   
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Yet_Another

You will find the same sorts of conversations about wines, whiskies, tobacco, cheese, art, probably TVs as well. Are there differences/ improvements? Yes. Can most people appreciate them? No. Does it matter? No. Do you appreciate a £30 wine more than a £10 wine enough to justify the expense? The same applies to high end music systems.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

joe cassidy

Hi-fi dealers will even sell you a special CD or vinyl disc to run-in your speakers.

Don't know if there is any music on these or just "sounds" ranging from low to high frequency.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations