Eight years - really!!

Started by Lawrence, November 21, 2018, 09:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Something occurred to me today so I checked the member list, eight years ago today a dozen of us signed up to this new forum. It was an odd wee place called ngaugeforum started by some bloke called Tank  :o and we were the only members

Shortly after, and for some inexplicable reason, I offered to help out and, without wanting to appear smug, between us we laid the foundation of what you see before you now, Chris doing much of the technical work, and me being the ever sensitive, whip cracking loony you need to keep folks in check from time to time.

We ran a raffle, by begging companies for donations, espousing that we were the next big thing in railway forums, Chris sold his first born and bank raids were considered. Somehow he managed to keep it running, Mrs Tank was unimpressed at having to shop at Aldi instead of Waitrose  ;)

In time, others joined us as the forum grew, and the guys n gals behind the scenes grew, like the members the volunteers have come and gone over the years but all have contributed in their own ways, many financially, some with humour and some with simply wonderful modelling, yet through the years of evolution it has gone through it has never lost that sense of (to steal an Ozzie phrase) mateship, it has always felt like the friendliest model railway club you  could imagine.

We have never had to ban many, though we did have some interesting times behind the scenes getting rid of a couple  :confused2: ;D and sadly we have lost several wonderful characters over the years all of whom have given greatly to the forum.

I try to recall the conversations Chris and I had in those early days, I doubt either of us considered that the forum would even still be here so many years later, never mind the fact that it continues to grow and attracts new members, it has gone from strength to strength, accomplished so much and continues to be the 'go to' place for n gauge modelers from across the world.

Happy anniversary ngaugeforum  :beers:

Just wanted to add a little edit in here, to thank @Tank for the concept in the first place and for allowing me to play a small part in the forum, also to all mods over the years especially @Newportnobby and @scotsoft for their valuable time and support not only to me but to the forum in general

Bealman

Eight years!!

Well, as the saying goes, time flies when you're having fun!

Thanks for that post, Lawrence.  :beers:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RailGooner

themadhippy

QuoteWell, as the saying goes, time flies when you're having fun!
I thought the saying woz

Time flies by when you're a driver of a train
Speeding out of Trumpton with a cargo of cocaine

freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

grumbeast

well done!!

I checked my registration date and I' 7 years 7 months (with a brief hiatus).  Thanks to all the Admins and contributors for their tireless efforts!

stevewalker

Quote from: themadhippy on November 21, 2018, 11:03:04 PM
QuoteWell, as the saying goes, time flies when you're having fun!
I thought the saying woz

Time flies by when you're a driver of a train
Speeding out of Trumpton with a cargo of cocaine

I've seen them play that live a few times. Always good!

BTDTGTTS - unfortunately my wife didn't like me wearing it and threw it out years ago!

Trainfish

Only 8 years? That surprises me. I registered on May 25 2011 so my 7.5 year anniversary is this Sunday and my layout is still hardly built. At this rate I'll be at least 108 when it's finished (probably by someone else).

Well done though guys, this is by far the best forum around and I'm sure it always will be. As long as you don't kick me out.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

exmouthcraig

:NGF:

Never a better emoji to use. 8 years of much unthankful hard work put in by so many people dedicated to the success of N gauge as a whole, their own layouts but most importantly for US this MAGNIFICENT FORUM.

I seem to ask the hardest questions in the world that certain search engines can't answer yet within a few minutes someone here has answered it and with some much depth it really is fantastic.

Huge thanks must go to Tank, Lawrence, Chris and the original few but also to the mods like NewportNobby, Bealman and all the others that spend their time patrolling this and with huge inputs to lots of topics.

So  :thankyousign: for the previous 8 years and here's to an infinite number to come  :beers:

Thank you Craig

Webbo

I hopped on this particular train a bit less than 4 years ago and I'm glad I did. This is only my second go at a forum - the other was the Model Rail Forum which didn't have enough N scale stuff to entice me to continue.

I live on the other side of the world from most of you lot, but the wonders of the internet allow me to communicate with everyone without regard to distance. That is pretty amazing in itself. The forum showcases the modelling skills of gifted modellers, but does much more than that. It provides a venue for the exchange of ideas and tips as well as the presentation of the vision of all and sundry of what constitutes a model railway. Even though most people are not modelling my region, country, or time, I like it all. Over time, I have built character profiles in my head of the regular contributors as I suspect most of us do. We have gentlemen/gentlewomen as well as some who are a bit more inclined to testiness. No worries, it is all pretty cool.

I would like to extend my appreciation and thanks to the originators of the NGF such as Tank and to those who keep the whole show on the road on a day to day basis. It is a job very well done.

Webbo

railsquid

Good heavens, it's been well over 4 years since my first post  :goggleeyes: I remember the forum kept cropping up in my searches for N gauge related info (I knew nothing at the time) so thought I'd sign up.

It's the only model railway related forum I've stuck with constantly, keep up the good work!

:NGF: :NGaugersRule:

port perran

I've been a member for 7.5 years and thoroughly enjoy it.
It is the only forum of which I'm a member and it has been invaluable over the years plus I've made so many friends and aquaintances.
Long may it continue.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

weave

Blimey, apparently I joined in October 2011 but didn't realise that the Forum was so young then.

Congratulations to everyone who has helped us all.

It's a long journey in my case but great to have the Fellowship of the riNg by my side.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY  :claphappy:

Cheers for everything  :beers:  :beers:  :beers:

Newportnobby

I'm another one with 7½ years before the mast. Having inflicted nearly 30,000 posts on you poor people you'll be horrified to hear I have no plans to retire >:D

guest311

"June 10, 2011, 11:00:34 pm"

almost a newbie by your standards.

the only forum I am a member of, and I have never regretted joining.

'met' so many helpful and friendly people, who are always ready to support others.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations