ERA 8 Shunters in DCC

Started by KenR, November 25, 2019, 01:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KenR

Preamble - How i got here.
I am a newbie Modeller, with my first layout underway.
I have built the baseboard, laid the track (Kato Unitrack) and I am now starting to pay attention to the scenery and landscaping etc.
My Layout consists of a 1500mm x 750mm double interconnecting loops with 2 sidings - Control is DCC. All working well.

To say I have been learning an awful lot is an understatement, and I have found a lot of good information on this forum.
However, A lack of fundamental planning at the start is now causing me problems.
I started with a Jinty (GF-372-210a) and some goods wagons.  I then purchased a NE SE DMU (GF371-505).
Yes I have an ERA 3 shunter with an Era 8 DMU - which is now causing me concern as I look at buildings etc for my landscaping and scenery.

My preference would be to go down the ERA 8 path and build my scenery around that time period.
So I have started to look at replacing the Jinty with an ERA 8 goods yard loco/shunter.

I am having trouble identifying a Era 8 DCC Shunter - I am not sure if there is one available.
I read the GF 371-025 - Ivor - Is not suitable for DCC conversion , and I am not sure if others, like the GF 371-014 could be converted to DCC and if so how hard would it be. 
I also see a GF 371-014 body/frame is available - could this be used to convert another DCC chassis ?

Any help and assistance would be greatly appreciated.
(And help me feel a less of an idiot for not having a clear plan in the first place).

Ken

REGP

Hi Ken

A Class 08 Diesel Shunter might well suit you, introduced between 155 & 62 they are still in use today.

Only last week as we drove over the Choats Lane / Rippleside sidings there was a Class 08 diesel shunter parked between a couple of much bigger Locos (they looked a bit like "Sheds").

I was resplendent in Blue small logo livery so was probably a Heritage railway loco.

Of course you could simply employ Rule 1 on some occasions in order to run your Jinty.

Regards

Ray

N_GaugeModeller

The Current versions of the Graham Farish Class 08 although not DCC Ready can be converted but do need a little work and a very small decoder

There are a couple of guides on YouTube showing how its done and if you feel brave there are some guides over on Youchoos site where they fit sound

I have done quite a few with and without sound, it all quite possible with a steady hand and a fine tipped soldering iron

Most guides recommend the lenz silver Mini as its thin enough to sit between the gearbox and body but make sure you get the mini not the Mini Plus which is thicker and is not so easy to fit.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

mickster04

I had my Ivor DCC fitted by a pro, and also had an older farish 08 in blue (08 748) also fitted, although it now has a split gear which needs seeing to.
But they both work really well (split gears aside)

Steven B

Option one is fitting DCC to the Farish class 08; It's quite a simple:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67768718@N02/6169604049

Tiny decoders can fit between the motor and the body shell. Slightly larger ones have to sit in the cab. It's even possible to fit a sound decoder!

Option two, depending on how accurate you want to be and what you're modelling is to look at the Farish class 14; There's a green one in the current catalogue that's DCC sound fitted from the Factory. Class 14s were withdrawn by BR in the 1970s but most found a second life in industrial use with British Steel or British Coal.

The third option is the NGS Hunslett shunter (due in the next few months).

Steven B.

N_GaugeModeller

The trouble with the Class 14 is that is not going to be here for another 3 or 4 years, given Farish's history of time from announcement to delivery of the finished model.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

maridunian

No, the Class 14s are out there, eg this one on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233414503832

There's also the much anticipated NGS shunter:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36228

due RSN...

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

N_GaugeModeller

That's the old even harder than an 08 to DCC convert version of the class 14, their new sound version is years away as its a total redesign to get room for the decoder.

NGM

Dickydcc

I am intrigued by the "new" class 14. I had mine sent away for service & asked if a stay alive could be fitted, I was told that you can't do that because there is no room for the capacitor. So..... how are they going to a speaker in??

N_GaugeModeller

It will require a totally new chassis, to make room for not only the speaker but the larger sound decoder.

With the old one the mainly metal chassis almost filled the body making it a very reliable runner, all that weight will have to go on the new one.

NGM

ohlavache

A future release of the class 14 is planned with DCC and sound.
It is in BR green with wasp stripes. The reference is 372-950ASF.
Hope this helps.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations