NER in N gauge?

Started by kirky, November 02, 2018, 09:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

I have reason to do a bit of research on the railways of the NER, this is pre grouping so effectively we are looking at the first twenty years of the 20th century.
Can someone tell me if there has been any N gauge (or 2mil fs) layouts depicting the NER and what they are?
What locos or kits, or more likely 3d prints, are available for this era and area in 2mm? I'm aware of the Union Mills J25 and J26 which were NER Wordsell designs  (as class p1 and p2 respectively) Is there anything else available?
As for rolling stock, I'm only looking at goods traffic so anything available rtr or kits or again more likely is 3d prints?

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Bealman

OK, first reply from Australia, but to quote language of my youth, you may be pushing coals to  Newcastle  :beers:

Hope not, and looking forward to responses!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Do you get paid per response Bealman?! The number of threads where the first post is "I've no idea, but looking forward to the responses"...

Can only see one on RMWeb, which I suspect you've already seen:

Sandy Bay

You can see all the threads tagged NER [sortKey]=date&search_tags=NER&search_app_filters[forums][sortKey]=date&search_term=&search_app=forums&st=25]here, which includes some on 3D printed stock as you suspected.

Bealman

Totally uncalled for remark.  :no:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: kirky on November 02, 2018, 09:36:54 AM
I have reason to do a bit of research on the railways of the NER, this is pre grouping so effectively we are looking at the first twenty years of the 20th century.
Can someone tell me if there has been any N gauge (or 2mil fs) layouts depicting the NER and what they are?
What locos or kits, or more likely 3d prints, are available for this era and area in 2mm? I'm aware of the Union Mills J25 and J26 which were NER Wordsell designs  (as class p1 and p2 respectively) Is there anything else available?
As for rolling stock, I'm only looking at goods traffic so anything available rtr or kits or again more likely is 3d prints?

Sound like one for @Atso Steve

martyn

If you can still find one (they come upon Ebay) the Farish bogie goods van is an NER design.

I know you don't want coaches, but the Langley etched brake coach/autocoach is also NER.

There is/was a kit or 3D for the G5 044 tank.

The promised J72 060 was NER

HTH

martyn

Stevie DC

Well, I'd love to do a B16 one day but I'm still working on what I could use as a donor at the moment so this will likely remain in the background for a little while yet. Farish is planning the J72 but there seems to be no indication when this will be available. DJM announced a Q5 or Q6 a while back but it seems to have disappeared from their lists.

In terms of rolling stock kits:

BH Enterprises: Etched brass NER Birdcage brake van body kit to fit the Peco 10' WB brake van chassis. I've half built one but have hit a snag as no holes are provided to fit handrails and I've broken far too many drill bits trying to drill them. Not a bad kit to assemble if you're happy to omit the handrails.

BHE also do an etched body for the Perishables van which, while representing the LNER version of this wagon, could be adapted to the NER version by replacing the sliding door with cupboard doors (of a similar style to the Peco Refrigerated/Banana van - see later).

2mm Association: NER 20 Ton wooden hopper wagon and etched chassis. The body for this one is plastic and an etched chassis is available separately to fit. This is a little more difficult than the standard 2mm Association chassis kits as the brake handle needs to be glued to the plastic hopper body. The plastic body is also one of the older injection mouldings and needs some care in assembly. It can be done though.

The 2mm Association also sells both N gauge wheelsets mounted on c. 12mm length axles (but not spoked wheels) and an adapter axle for use with modern Farish wagon wheels.

Farish did an NER bogie van many many years ago. It isn't as accurate as one might like as the length and width are compromised slightly to fit the same chassis as the bogie sulphate wagon (and it's missing a couple of details as a result) but what is moulded is of a nice quality and would lend itself well for modification/detailing. I've got one that is in pieces at the moment for such work (and has been for a couple of years) and I would like to get hold of another one day. They've been out of production for some time but to show up on Ebay and at shows/swap meets from time to time. £10-£12 would be the upper end of a reasonable price for an example in good condition in my opinion.

Also, the four wheel box van seems to share some common features with the bogie van so it might be possible to build one out of the bogie van body.

The Peco 10' WB brake van could be adapted into a representation of the V4 NER brake van be adding a wooden ducket to the sides. I'd go for the Midland version of the brake van kit as it doesn't have any duckets so less work to be done to achieve this.

Ultima Models does an etch for the LNER/NER Quad bogie bolster wagon. I've not tried this one so can't comment on it.

Dapol do a Gunpowder van which could be used to represent the NER version.

The Peco Refrigerated/Banana van kit looks like it could be adapted to the NER refrigerated or banana vans with some work to the ends of the van.

Some possibilities above but don't forget that many of the other companies wagons could have found their way onto NER metals.

I hope this helps.

Stevie DC

Also, Worlsey Works do an etched scratch aid for an LNER A8 tank locomotive. These were rebuilt from the Raven's H1 (technically a passenger loco) but most of the major details above the running plate seemed to have been unaltered. However, you'd be on your own for a donor chassis and castings.

kirky

Thanks to all that have replied, especially @Atso  Steve. I knew there wasn't much available, but hadn't quite realised how poor the range is.

So I think I better explain what this is about - we (Cleveland Model Railway Club) have been approached by a local history group who are interested in working with us to produce some kind of model of part of the Rosedale Railway in North Yorkshire. There is a lovely EM layout of the Rosedale East railway called 'Low Baring - The Depots'. We're having this at our exhibition in 2019 but there's not a great deal else. I'm aware that there are some efforts in the pipeline, all in larger scales than N.
The problem is that we have a short timescale - less than 2 years. So to do anything reasonable in N will require something that is reasonably easy to build in a short time and that includes stock and locos.
As far as I'm aware, anything that went up Ingleby Incline was of a hopper or open wagon type vehicle, no vans  as they wouldn't go through the drum house. Although they did have NER brake vans and a couple of snowploughs which were 4 wheeled. Locos were 0-6-0 tender locos - J24s towards the end of the life of the line which closed in 1929. They had the centre axle/wheels removed to get them over the hump at the top of the incline! They tended to stay up the top as long as possible for obvious reasons. The original hoppers that were built for iron ore traffic were only 8 tons although some 10 ton wagons were also built. Even in 4 mil they are tiny. I dont think you could really justify the layout without something to represent the ore wagons.
Clearly there is far more available in 4mm scale and I suspect if we offer the history group anything it will probably have to be in that scale. Im just checking with learned folk on here that its not really feasible in our scale.
Thoughts?

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Train Waiting

Quote from: kirky on November 02, 2018, 09:36:54 AM

Hello

With regard to Union Mills, they have made a 'D20' and a'J27' in addition to the 'J25' and 'J26' that you mention.  NER classes 'R' and 'P3' if I recall correctly.  Just in case this is of interest, here they are on Poppingham so that you can see them...

I expect that it would take some use of 'Rule 1' to make these locomotives run on the proposed line!

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

kirky

Thanks John much appreciated.
Yes, as I mentioned this is a project which is for a local history group and I think even using a J25 might not be acceptable to them since they didnt run on the Rosedale. Using anything else except an NER 1001 or NER P class (LNER - J24) would be not doable. Thanks though, I'm learning lots about the NER in this process and its all of course very welcome information.

Cheers
Kirky
June 24/25 2023.

martyn

At the Broadstairs show this weekend, on one of the second hand stalls was an etched brass kit for an N8 or N9. It was apparently rather old, and included an etched chassis. I can't remember the manufacturer-possibly Brassmasters?

Didn't buy it as no use to me, and thought wheels might be a bit difficult to source; may also have been 2mm rather than N?

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations