My Pets

Started by dannyboy, December 28, 2021, 06:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

Last year I had a minor operation so I couldnt go down the shed as to operate my layout I would have had to crawl on my hands and knees to get to the control panel.
( That problem is now solved see Stone house thread )
My wife very kindly went down the shed and brought my test oval up to the house and I sat in my chair going through all the locos stored in a cupboard in our bedroom ,I was running one very special loco and allthough it ran really well forwards it was a bit jerky going back wards .
I had an urgent call of nature and left it running at a medium speed , when I came back there was no sound from the test track and our 16 year old cat was curled up on the baseboard fast asleep .unfortunately the special loco was on the floor the valve gear in bits .
THE CAT VERY NEARLY LOST ONE OF HER NINE LIVES .
I think she owes Hailstone a big cuddle as he very kindly managed to solder the modified valve gear back together and the loco now runs very smoothly .
Thanks again to Hailstone
Bob Tidbury
The cat will now be banned outside if running any more stock in doors .

Newportnobby

Sorry, Bob, but the fault lies at your door. The cat was just doing what comes naturally. :P

dannyboy

That may well be, but they are terrible engine drivers.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Trainfish

My 18 year old tends to fall asleep on the fish tank these days. She's a bit weird, no idea where she gets that from  :hmmm:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bob Tidbury

Mick
Fergie our cat  is now 16 years old, so she might have allready lost some of her lives she came home one day with a broken tail so had to have half of it removed .We never found out how that happened .
I very rarely run anything in the house it was only while I was recovering from my operation  that I had the test track in the back room .
When down the shed doing things on the layout or running things we have to keep the door  shut and in the summer we open the windows but keep the blinds down or she comes in and chews the trees I think she likes the taste of the copper wire .I am now the only one in the family who can stroke her without risk of being scratched . Though she does sleep on our bed nearly every night .
Bob Tidbury

dannyboy

Another 'Long And Short' picture.

Unfortunately the kitten appears to be going downhill again, as you can probably tell from the photograph, so it will be another call to the Vet's.  :(

Addit: I contacted the Vet' - visit arranged for 4.30pm on Wednesday.
David.

dannyboy

The Last Picture

As you will have noticed, I started this thread so members could show their pets. The one cat I have featured, (out of about eight - some live here permanently, some come and go), was a kitten who was born about five months ago. He was born to two stray cats that have taken to 'hanging about' our house. The female had a litter last September and the kitten was one of the litter. Once he decided to trust us, the kitten became quite friendly, but it was obvious he was not well. He was half the size of his siblings and could fit in the palm of my hand. Because he appeared to have a cold and/or infection, we called him 'Snuffles', mainly because of the noises he made. I took him to the Vet, who said it sounded like his lungs were not properly formed which was possibly the cause of his infection.  After a course of antibiotics, he seemed to improve a bit, but went downhill, so it was another trip to the Vets. Again, another course of antibiotics, which seemed to help him. However, he became ill once again, so back to the Vets we went today. The Vet was confident that 'Snuffles' had F.I.P. (Feline Infectious Peritonitis), which is a sort of Coronavirus, although not the same thing as the Coronavirus that has put the world in turmoil for the last couple of years. The Vet said if she was correct - and she was quite certain she was, 'Snuffles' would never be 'normal' and would have regular bouts of infection. Eventually, F.I.P. would quite likely prove fatal.

I know, from messages received, that there are a few forum members who were following his progress, but I, sadly, have to say that I agreed for 'Snuffles' to be put to sleep. He was only with us for a short time, but he was a lovely little fella.

I took a couple of photographs yesterday and this one is the last ever taken of 'Snuffles', sat with his friend 'Blue'.

:*( :*(
David.

stevewalker

I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard , but the right thing to do.  :(

Newportnobby

I've just added my keyboard to the Lancashire flood alert list :*( :*( :*( :*(
Thank you, David and Louisa, for all your efforts with Snuffles.

Papyrus

Really sorry to hear that, David. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly these little creatures worm their way into our affections. I guess Blue will miss him too. Whenever our old cat goes to the vet our youngest dog is worried to bits. I don't know what will happen when I come back with an empty cat basket...

Very best wishes,

Chris

dannyboy

As I think have mentioned in a couple of previous posts, Blue, our 15+ years old cross Alsation, has had problems with his back legs and hips for a few months. He has been on tablets from the Vet' for the last few weeks which have made him a bit more mobile. It turns out that the tablets were strong pain killers. However, over the last week or so, it was becoming obvious that Blue was struggling. Sometimes he could manage to stand by himself but at other times, we got a 'woof' from him. We knew that this was his way of saying "help me up". Either Louisa or myself would lift him onto his feet and he would then waddle outside.

Yesterday I took him to the Vet's. Blues problems were mainly down to a condition called 'Hip Dysplasia', which tends to affect bigger dogs, together with a dodgy knee and, after discussing the options open to Blue, I agreed that it would be best for him if I allowed the Vet' to put him to sleep. I can honestly say that that was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my 71 years. Blue was not just a pet, he was our friend. He was the most placid of dogs, very intelligent and in spite of his size, was extremely tolerant of the cats – the pictures in replies #9, #20 and #21 show him with a kitten at the beginning of the year.

Whilst we have lived in Ireland, we have lost three dogs and a few cats, but it never gets any easier. Blue has left a big hole in our lives and our hearts.

I have to add that the Vet' I dealt with yesterday, I think I have seen him before on one of my visits, is one of the nicest blokes you could wish to meet under such circumstances and took great pains to explain exactly what was ailing Blue.

RIP Blue.  :*(

This picture was taken a few years ago, but it is one of my favourites
David.

Newportnobby

Oh No! I'm so sorry to hear that, David and know exactly what you're going through, exactly as many others on this forum will as well. My heart (not that it's much good) is with you and Louisa.

Bealman

Looks like he was a lovely dog.

Condolences.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Nbodger

Sorry to hear your sad news David, Mable and the Bodgers thoughts are with you. If it's any consolation you did the right thing, animals are not here to suffer, having had to make a similar decision recently I appreciate how hard and upsetting that can be.

Condolences along with best wishes

Mike H

RIP Blue

paulbeckwith

my  condolences  to  you  and  your  family       rip   blue

paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP