1966 Footie World Cup

Started by Newportnobby, June 07, 2020, 09:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Now I'm no fan of footie. Don't follow it and have not heard of most of the players but I do tend to watch World Cups.
This afternoon on Channel 4 they are showing the 1966 World Cup Final in its entirety. Let's face it. it was a game watched by some 32 million in this country and has probably one of the most iconic commentaries from Kenneth Wolstenholme. Yes, they'll be asking you to put your hands in your pockets for your money as it's being done for charity but what's not to like about this. A bit like the film 'Titanic' the result is known before it starts but I, for one, will be 'there'.
Gaby Logan and Sir Geoff Hurst present it.

crewearpley40

Thanks. Take it there are no well known motor races on the tv either mick ? I was not even born. Takes habit my late Grandad obtained tickets. He was still buying tickets for England games up until 2001 the famous 5 1 drubbing of Germany in munich

Bealman

Sounds great!  :thumbsup:

I remember that day very well. My mother insisted on going to the Durham County show, which got me fatha up in arms big time. God, he was cranky.

Luckily, the organisers of the show had woken up to it and had put TV sets at various locations around the show.

So basically, me mother took me around the show, and I snatched glimpses of it on a TV while I was sitting on a Massey Ferguson tractor, while the old man got stonkered watching it on a TV in the Vaux beer tent.

A memorable day!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

thebrighton

I just hope they're not going to use VAR for the match or we may be in trouble.........

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on June 07, 2020, 09:48:10 AM
while the old man got stonkered watching it on a TV in the Vaux beer tent.

Like father, like son, George?? ;)

Quote from: thebrighton on June 07, 2020, 10:01:44 AM
I just hope they're not going to use VAR for the match or we may be in trouble.........

They were talking to Sir Geoff on BBC news this morning about the game being shown and VAR came up. He, of, course, said the ball was at least a metre over the line :)

gc4946

One of my friends watched the England v Uruguay 1966 World Cup game at Wembley on his birthday, 11th July.
Unfortunately his copy of the World Cup programme was badly water damaged some years ago.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Newportnobby

What a great programme. What a great game.
No substitutes allowed.
No match clock on the screen.
No prima donnas rolling in agony 'cos they've broken a nail or had their hairdo messed up.
No multiple commentators jabbering away every second of every minute of every hour.
Just 22 players going about their business.
I won't give the result as you may not have seen it yet. No spoilers here :no: :D

Malc

I was on a school trip to France at the time. We were desperate to hear the match, but no one had a radio. Whilst on a boat on Lake Lucerne, some poor unfortunate Frenchman was surrounded by English school kids asking him to turn up his radio a bit. Fortunately, he was listening to the world service in English.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations