2 Lancaster Bombers flying together in Scotland today

Started by mark100, September 06, 2014, 12:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigric

Saw one of them a couple of weeks ago -  it flew right over the top of us on its way to the Blackpool Airshow (Bank Holiday weekend I think ....foul Sunday , wet all day - poor buggers !) . I think it was the BOB Flight one , just before the Canadian one arrived .
        Many years ago (1980s probably) , saw the Vulcan at the RAF St Mawgan airshow while we were down on holiday in Cornwall . Hugely impressive (& LOUD) , seemed quite manoeverable for such a big thing . Hoping to see it flying again soon , somewhere....my understanding is that it can only fly until next year , then not at all . Something to do with the age/life of its engines ??? What a shame ! Cheers , Ric

Wayne 56089

Bigric

That's great Wayne , thanks !! Bit technical for a muppet like me BUT I got the gist of it !! So , maybe it will be able to fly a bit longer then , with a liberal dose of aeronautical smoke & mirrors ! Cheers , Ric

Greybeema

They were due over Portrush this pm but could not because they have to fly VFR and the front over the Penines prevented that.  Weather front should be moving over night so are scheduled over Portrush at 1.30 tomorrow..

I'll be there with my camera...  Looking forward to it...

BTW V*RA had the No4 engine replaced.  Not all Spitfires of the BoBMF have Merlins.  Some have RR Griffin Engines (higher displacement)..
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

mark100

The Father in Law is spending the night up there because of todays dissapointment as he was planning to drive back tonight. So fingers crossed he gets to see them or we will all get it in the neck this week :worried:

We had a great Barbeque in his absence, it was nice to get a word in for a change ;D The home brew also went down nicely to  :goggleeyes: but thanks to those who posted photos on this thread. Hopefully I may get to see the pair down this way sometime.

:thankyousign: Mark

You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Wayne 56089

Today's itinerary( subject to the usual disclaimers such as weather etc!)

0900 - Take off from RAF Coningsby
0905 - Flypast Petwood Hotel
0915 - Flypast Kirmington
0920 - Flypast Burton upon Stather
0923 - Flypast Holme on Spalding Moor
0927 - Flypast Elvington
0932 - Flypast Linton
0933 - Flypast Allerton
0938 - Flypast Menwith Hill
0945 - Flypast Barnoldswick
1030 - Flypast Ayr (Beach front location)
1034 - Flypast Prestwick
No change to Portrush
1410 - Flypast Ayr
1446 - Flypast Windermere
1454 - Flypast Morecambe
1503 - Flypast Samlesbury
1504 - Flypast Thwaites
1517 - Flypast Holmefirth
1539 - Flypast Wickenby
1542 - Flypast Ludford Magna
1543 - Flypast Ludborough
1546 - Flypast North Coates
1600 - Flypast East Kirkby

Would love to be at East Kirkby this afternoon, just Jane fired up as Vera and thumper fly overhead.

Sprintex

Wayne 56089

mark100

Quote from: Wayne 56089 on September 07, 2014, 07:57:14 AM
Today's itinerary( subject to the usual disclaimers such as weather etc!)

0900 - Take off from RAF Coningsby
0905 - Flypast Petwood Hotel
0915 - Flypast Kirmington
0920 - Flypast Burton upon Stather
0923 - Flypast Holme on Spalding Moor
0927 - Flypast Elvington
0932 - Flypast Linton
0933 - Flypast Allerton
0938 - Flypast Menwith Hill
0945 - Flypast Barnoldswick
1030 - Flypast Ayr (Beach front location)
1034 - Flypast Prestwick
No change to Portrush
1410 - Flypast Ayr
1446 - Flypast Windermere
1454 - Flypast Morecambe
1503 - Flypast Samlesbury
1504 - Flypast Thwaites
1517 - Flypast Holmefirth
1539 - Flypast Wickenby
1542 - Flypast Ludford Magna
1543 - Flypast Ludborough
1546 - Flypast North Coates
1600 - Flypast East Kirkby

Would love to be at East Kirkby this afternoon, just Jane fired up as Vera and thumper fly overhead.
Any of those places near Oakham????? :doh: My head is still killing me after last nights binge :'(

Paul B

Both Lancaster's flew over the Military Odyssey display in Kent on the August Bank Holiday weekend, accompanied bt the BBMF Spitfire and Hurricane - unfortunately I was taking part on a display, so didn't have my camera with me!   :veryangry:  They came over on the Saturday, and there was no announcement prior to the fly-past, so I think not many people got photo's - but one photographer did - https://www.flickr.com/photos/122710573@N07/sets/72157646913031026/

I got my camera near me for the Sunday (hidden) in case they came over again - but they didn't. :'(  I have to admit that the sound of the total of 10 Merlin engines flying together will live with me for the rest of my life - lovely!  :)
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

Greybeema

I saw them today in Portrush together with the Mk II & Mk XIV Spitfires...  Took the odd snap..

I might post tomorrow if anyone is interested..

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

mark100

Quote from: Greybeema on September 08, 2014, 12:59:06 AM
I saw them today in Portrush together with the Mk II & Mk XIV Spitfires...  Took the odd snap..

I might post tomorrow if anyone is interested..
Go for it  :thumbsup:

Greybeema

Well you asked for it...

Thumper leading Vera following...

And sadly, departing...  Probably something ill never see again (Unless they get Just Jane flying)..

Oh and two of the all time iconic aeroplane...

Hope you like them...

DWS

Watched the two lancasters fly over Holmfirth on Sunday afternoon.  Have to say it was a bit disapointing, they were quite high and only made one brief pass and not flying down the Holme valley, just turn over Holmfirth town centre a lot higher than I've seen them flying before  :(
Midsomer Magna - A fictional station in the West Country.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations